The Vanu Sovereignty seems out of place. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Can't we all just get along?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-04, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Synapse
First Sergeant

Re: The Vanu Sovereignty seems out of place.

Originally Posted by AshOck View Post
From the original manual:

"Vanu Sovereignty - The destiny of the human species tilts toward ruin. Thousands of years of shortsightedness and provincial thinking have hampered its proper evolution. We plunge towards oblivion. Those able to comprehend the promise and potential of humanity will advance. They will usher the less gifted through the gateway of understanding and cleanse the taint of blindness, ignorance and mulishness from the species. We are the shepherds of evolution, the harbingers of progress. We lead toward the light."

Good enough reasons to wage war in my book
Yessss. "I'm here to help you. My gun is here to help you. My Magrider is here to help you. Now come along quietly so we can help you, or do you need more convincing...?"

*points gun at face*
Old 2012-06-04, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
I never played Planetside 1, but I don't think that disqualifies me from having an opinion on this matter. This is not a post to invoke rage in those loyal to VS, nor is it a post critizising the alternative game mechanics that the VS has.

To me, the Vanu just does not seem like a logical faction. Just based on lore, it does not make sense why the people who formed the VS did not join the NC, since they are clearly not interested in fighting in the first place. Why force yourselves to get an army, when you could safely continue your research behind NC frontlines? Seeing as that's all you really care about. (The lore is really vague on why the NC declared war on the Vanu)

It really doesn't make sense. You could also look at it from the perspective of technology. The Vanu is clearly way ahead of the other factions, but still finds itself evenly matched. This is hardly realistic, unless you assume that the Vanu does not really care about the war. To me they seem like a faction who does not have the same drive based on their fiery moral-standpoint like the other two factions. Instead they seem like a faction who would rather just be left alone, but needs to fight simply because they need to clear the land, so that they can excavate and do their research. A faction needs to have it drive for battle rooted in its belief system, but to the Vanu, the war just seems like an inconvenience.

I know this won't ever get changed, I just felt like saying it. That said, if I was to go back in time and change the Vanu's lore, I would make them religious fanatics instead. When the wormhole closed and people panicked, a part of the TR population began worshipping strange alien artifacts. This would explain why that inspite of having access to this technology, that they are clearly not using it as well as they could, and it would also give them a more convincing reason to fight. Why? They're religious fanatics who want to convert everyone.
The Vanu Sovereignty feels that Vanu Tech is the key to human evolution, we are radicals not pacifists. The Vanu feel that the NC are too reckless and rather optimistic about the odds of their democracy actually working this time, and the TR have been incredibly strict on vanu tech and denying it to the public. VS feel that the tech belongs to humanity, and will ram it down your throats if they have to.

As for being the most technological advanced. Look at the weapons, energy based. In PS1 we didn't carry multiple types of ammo for armor piercing against MAX suits, every pulsar could instantly switch to AP mode while the other factions had to swap ammo. This applied to their AI MAX suit as well. Hover tanks flew over water and out flanked enemies at bridge battles, and Threshers chewed infantry ranks apart. Our AV weapon was an AV sniper rifle and our HA... Ask the TR and NC how much they loved the Lasher...

Also why don't we hide behind the NC? Why don't you hide behind that piece of cardboard?
Old 2012-06-04, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
SgtMAD
Captain

I am not going to read all this.

didn't SOE have some Sci-Fi writer making this shit up?

whatever happened to all that backstory?
Old 2012-06-04, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
I never played Planetside 1, but I don't think that disqualifies me from having an opinion on this matter.
Sorry, but it does. That would be like me never playing any Warcraft games then playing WoW and saying that Tauren seem out of place. I don't have any idea what I'm talking about and neither do you. Sorry to discredit everything you've said.....but yeah.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-06-04, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Xenologer
Private

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism

Same concept here, except that the Sovereignty are scientists who stumbled on a treasure trove of alien artifacts and technology. The TR and NC are old-fashioned factions using old-fashioned ideologies. They're a large, militaristic dictatorship fighting against an organized force with corporate backing.

From a Vanu point of view, the artifacts found on Auraxis are a catalyst to human evolution and ultimate progress into something new and transcendent. The TR government represents old, stale, and barbaric practices. Apes in red and black suits. Any government that the NC promises represents old, exploitative, capitalist ideals that seek to take advantage of the people and hold them in a different kind of servitude, albeit more subtly than the TR. Both lead to ruin and the same kind of suffering that's plagued mankind for thousands of years, and it is time for a change. That change is not something that can kowtow to archaic ideas of government and law or co-exist with their philosophies, and the time for diplomacy has long passed.

At least that's my take on things, and why I think the VS are not only a logical faction, but the -only- logical faction.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
Sorry, but it does. That would be like me never playing any Warcraft games then playing WoW and saying that Tauren seem out of place. I don't have any idea what I'm talking about and neither do you. Sorry to discredit everything you've said.....but yeah.
And I have to agree with this statement.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
cBselfmonkey
Sergeant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
The VS is not a religion, Vanu is no god. We simply accepted the truth: There are alien beings out there, and they are more powerful than we are. We accepted this simple truth. Now we work torwards the the goal to enhance ourself and mankind as a whole, by using alien technology to boost our own evolution.

But being the NC you are, ignorant and foolish, you propably wont understand that at all.
Correction. We know that they existed on Auraxis for a while. Whether it was their homeworld or they were visitors too isn't know. Nor is why they apparently just upped and left. Leaving everything and the kitchen sink behind. Assuming they didn't just die out. And why was that? Sovereignty scientists seemed for focused on getting their ten minutes with the telepathic, brain altering artifacts then figuring out why.

Bottom line is we don't know what happened to the real Vanu other then they're clearly not here anymore. Trying to follow their 'path', heck trying to change humanity to be more like them when we don't even know who or what they were takes an enormous leap of faith to even consider. Especially when its coming from people that are supposed to base their decisions off of reason, logic and evidence.

(Keep in mind that this whole thread is a RolePlay Trash talk thread for me. If i insult you, then just because you are a scumback NC/TR! )
()

Last edited by cBselfmonkey; 2012-06-04 at 06:01 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

Lol, you say that a faction that looks different does not necessarily seem in place, yet the whole reason people call rebels rebels is BECAUSE they technically should not exist...

COUGHNC(whatdidijustsay)NCCOUGH

I understand what you mean though. The VS' MAX is just ... in need of improvement, it looks silly. However, I don't think anything else of them are "too different."

Though I will still play as them ^^
Old 2012-06-04, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
Well, this is a re-imagining of PS, so whatever the lore was in PS1 isn't really relevant to PS2.
Old 2012-06-04, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Antivide
Corporal

Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
As for being the most technological advanced. Look at the weapons, energy based. In PS1 we didn't carry multiple types of ammo for armor piercing against MAX suits, every pulsar could instantly switch to AP mode while the other factions had to swap ammo. This applied to their AI MAX suit as well. Hover tanks flew over water and out flanked enemies at bridge battles, and Threshers chewed infantry ranks apart. Our AV weapon was an AV sniper rifle and our HA... Ask the TR and NC how much they loved the Lasher...
Speaking of which, do the Vanu weapons in PS2 have the same "Anti-Infantry/Anti-Armor" mode selections? Anyone ask Higby this?
Old 2012-06-04, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Brusi
Contributor
Major

The Vanu aren't all Scientists. I would say that a lot of them are just regular people who have been indoctrinated to the cause of the Vanu Soverignty. The same way as there are a small percentage of Elite Mercenaries and Business leaders at the head of the New Conglomerate, and the large majority of their fighting force are in fact lumberjacks.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-06-04, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
PredatorFour
Major

Im sorry but .........

VANU TILL I DIE
Old 2012-06-04, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Vanir
Staff Sergeant

The VS reject there own humanity and embace the alien vanu.

Old 2012-06-04, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

I like the Vanu, but not in that way... Their technology is not all that different, just more progressed. Okay they can shoot lazers, we can do that even today though not as exciting. So i dont see why a group of people finding some alien tech couldnt reverse engineer it to then upgrade current system. Which is what we see the Vanu having.

You can look at all the experimental military gear thats designed today. When was the m16 made and why is the US still using it? Vanu are using this experimental gear where the TR and NC are more reserved because their gear works for them. If its not broke, why fix it? Or for the TR: If its not broke, slap another barrel onto it.
Old 2012-06-04, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
cellinaire
Captain

To the OP : yeah better late than never, and so you think VS doesn't make any sense.

So what? Should they remove one faction from the game entirely, or should they just fire Marv Wolfman?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion