Cost to play - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: smells like victory
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-20, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Infernalis
Sergeant

Re: Cost to play

The Intel/Nvidia combo was almost always better than the AMD/ATI but also more expensive. I suggest to also wait near the release of Planetside 2, the price will be cheaper near Christmas.
Old 2012-09-20, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Fenrys
Major

The computer I play PS2 Beta on cost me about $500 a couple years ago. You can get a faster one today for the same money.

I get ~30-40 fps in big fights, 80+ out in the middle of nowhere.
All settings Low, 1920x1080 res, render quality at 75%, max field of view.

CPU: Phenom II X4 (fast enough for PS2)
GPU: HD 6850 (too slow IMO)
RAM: 8 GB (plenty)
Disks: Windows and PS2 are both installed on their own 64GB SSD.

Moving the PS2 install folder from a hard drive to a SSD reduced my load times from ~15 seconds to ~2 seconds, and reduced in-game stutter at certain times.

Changing render quality from 50% to 75% dropped my framerate by 1-2 fps. Moving it from 75% to 80% drops another ~5 fps, so I leave it at 75%.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-09-20 at 02:47 PM.
Old 2012-09-20, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Infernalis View Post
The Intel/Nvidia combo was almost always better than the AMD/ATI but also more expensive. I suggest to also wait near the release of Planetside 2, the price will be cheaper near Christmas.
Intel is the best for a gaming CPU. There is no debating that currently.

GPU are is totally different story in terms of what to buy due to pricing and performance. In regards to performance 680=7970 GHz>7970=670>7950>GTX 660 Ti>7870>660>7850. Current pricing from AMD is very competitive also. 7970 GHz/regular is in the pricing bracket of the 670 making that card over priced currently. The 7950 is a stronger card compared to 660 Ti, especially when overclocked, same pricing bracket makes the 660 Ti again a bit over priced. Though it does come with Borderlands 2. 7800s are very well priced right now once again totally making the 660 that was just released totally moot.

You don't have to stick to AMD CPU and GPU and Intel CPU plus Nvidia GPU combos...
Old 2012-09-20, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
AMD CPUs suck at the moment no ATI cards. Get your facts straight. My 7950 has no issues playing this game maxed out at 1920x1080.
My AMD PII X4 970 has no issues playing this game (high settings) at the same resolution. What gives?

Not encouraging AMD explicitly, as intel obviously provides better performance. But I'll admit that I'm wrong on ATi cards performing horribly; just going of off what I heard.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2012-09-20 at 03:53 PM.
Old 2012-09-20, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
My AMD PII X4 970 has no issues playing this game (high settings) at the same resolution. What gives?

Not encouraging AMD explicitly, as intel obviously provides better performance. But I'll admit that I'm wrong on ATi cards performing horribly; just going of off what I heard.
I've read numerous posts from the beta forum tech section with AMD CPUs are having issues with this game. Even the 1100T. May vary user to user, but my 1035T that should be clocking around 3GHz with turbo can't play the game at all with my 7950. Where as my 2500K plays with the game with ease.

Are you overclocking your 970?

Last edited by Goku; 2012-09-20 at 04:06 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion