1337 5p34k 4pPr0v3D 4 teh GaM3 - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Less Filling!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-14, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

I think he was referring to your "tone" and the fact that you were stating that *this* is how it's gonna work. Even though there is absolutely no info about how they're gonna do it (which is the point of the thread.....). It may be helpful if you add "I think this is how....." instead of "jeez some peeps really dont think at all do they?" and "for the benefit of the BOHICA crew". Thats not gonna make you too many friends. Anyway, that's your opinion, and your info was nice, although it didn't really answer anything new. Anyway, Denali splained it to me like last week. So I get the gist of it.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-02-14, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Yep Nav, that's what I meant.

Kind of backwards you coming in and explaining my posts instead of the other way around.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-02-14, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
RageMaster
Corporal

As said previously by others, I hold the opinion that there is no point in tags in a MOG environment.

I dont want to have to ask a clan member what {TAG} means when planetside's clan system could fill in that blank for me.

Why do people in CS wear tags? Because no-one wants a gay-ass 50 character name. If PlanetSide displays the full clan name along-side the player name I see no problem here.

When I owned a clan called the Crimson Order, we used to play under the tag [CO] naturally, but thats only because [CrimsonOrder]RageMaster was too big.

In the end run, clan tags were created in all the deathmatch style games because there was no in-game facility to differentiate between clanners/non clanners. Its a half-assed way of doing things, its a compromise. Its the player's best shot at labelling their group through their name.

Planetside is keeping your name seperate from your clan name... so chill out. I'd much preferr to see the full clan name under your name in game. Atleast then I'd know how to address your clan.
Old 2003-02-14, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
RageMaster
Corporal

And Navaron, thats how the clan system would work. Its common sense. Anybody who knows anything about MOGs realises that stuff is all done on databases.

It has to to generate things like online stats. It has to be searchable by GMs and players alike, and it has to be easily accessed so it can be updated. Furthermore, databases would be the only practical way it could work, and I think MikkyT hit the nail on the head.

And personally, I think you BOHICA boys should safety your suppressors and cut the newcommer some slack :-D
Old 2003-02-18, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Why has it become recently that the recruits are getting on the people who have been here a while??

We know about other games. Although it's interesting information, no one was enquiring about the databases. No one here cares about the backend of the operation. (Actually, as a programmer, I think it's cool, but I don't want the info from someone who hasn't even played the game, especially when it's obvious info like the database concept.) Give people some credit for not being idiots. We all know how other systems work. We're all gamers here. None of us should act like the other just got their first computer yesterday.

Now that you've told us to cut people slack (while insinuating that Navarone has no common sense I might add), let me explain something every simple to you. There is no longer a question as to the tags vs full names. If you'll notice, it's been addressed, it's done, over, fini. The question that is being asked, and one that no one knows the answer to since none of us have played this particular game, so don't pretend you do, is exactly how people will go about registering a clan ingame. That's all. We've all heard all about the way EQ does it. We've heard speculation about the number of members a group must have to register. We've heard all the speculation that there is to hear. My problem is when people who have only recently started posting here come in and act like they have facts about the game that the devs have not provided. Perhaps one of the ways that people are saying will be correct. Some of the ideas really make sense and seem to work well in other games. But the truth is that no one knows for sure, and I'm sick of people insulting my intelligence and common sense when they don't know any more about Planetside than I do.

-mistled

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-04-11, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
the_mann
Private

what a joke... so now its going to be impossible to read names/send tells because all these nerds will be using "1337" .... wtf .. big mistake IMO
Old 2003-04-12, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Oberon
Private

Sooooooooo.... Its not possible to have )(, [], or {} in your charecters name, but do you think it will be allowed in the outfit name? If i can have

Oberon
)DoT(

than ill be happy.

I just sped trough all of the posts really quick, so if this HAS already been answered, please dont devour my imortal soul with flames
Old 2003-04-12, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

1st off, the_mann, if you are posting in a mmo fourm and talking about the nameing system of a game that is not out yet, you are just as big of a nerd are the rest of them *and wow, you dug up a very old thread!, didnt even see that

I see no problems with l33t names. If people want them, fine, if not fine. You dont have to have one, but why should you be allowed to tell someone that they can not have the name C001N355, or 7H31337n355, or even 1stStriker needs numbers, etc. They are not hard to read (sure when you get into hardcore leet, they can be but w/o the special chars, you cant do that) and if you take 3 secs to learn how to read it, its not that bad, some of the stuff can be fun. About the diffucality in typing someone's name, if you can not type numbers as well as letters, that is just sad, im sorry, but its not that hard to hit 0 insted of o. Sure some people will have 31 chars in their name, if that botheres you soo much, fine, just dont deal with them, its not like you will have to deal with those people that do that, there are 1000s that wont, go find them. But some people will want to have long names, let them, it does not take anything away from your game, and your not forced to have 31 char names.
People will never be happy with the nameing system, some will want 100 chars with all things on the keybord, others will want 2 chars with only letters.
Stop worring about this pointless stuff, and be happy that the majority of the people will be able to enjoy their game the way it is set up right now.

P.S.
I have no intention to using leet names, but I dont see why you have got to step in on someone elses fun
------------------------------
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
------------------------------
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."

Last edited by MrVulcan; 2003-04-12 at 02:26 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion