Science vs Religion - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where the flame department is always needed!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-21, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Science vs Religion

Meh.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-09-11 at 04:05 AM.
Old 2011-09-21, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Re: Science vs Religion

I'll try to avoid making a "no true scotsman" argument here, but agree that science is in the business of "how", and that religion is in the business of "why". However, religion began its existence explaining both "how" AND "why".

The transition to a scientific investigation and explanation of "how" is the primary source of conflict, as many religious people seem to think the validity of their religion hinges on maintaining the function of explaining "how" and "why".

This becomes more complicated when a scientist says that "God isn't necessary" based on the natural development of the Universe. However, it seems obvious that if a God was necessary, there would be little point to faith anyway.
Old 2011-09-21, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Crator
Major General

Also, science is never based on Faith, and religion is. Main conflict thar'...
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-21, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Old 2011-09-21, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Crator
Major General

I suppose. But I ask myself, "Why did man create the bible?". To force ideas upon a people for control purposes. I'm not saying those ideas are bad. I'm just saying, some of that stuff seems like pretty big fairy tales to get an uneducated people (no knowledge of science or the scientific method) to conform to the ideas of said publishers.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-21, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Old 2011-09-21, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
What evidence pointed you to that conclusion of the Bible's origins?
I didn't think I've heard anyone say that the Bible wasn't written by men. As to the motive, the Bible clearly states what one is supposed to do, without mentioning that conveying this information is its intended purpose.

I'm itching to lay into the many exploits of Abraham, but since this is pretty civil, I'll just say that there are a lot of things in the Bible that I wouldn't expect God to condone (even if he recants it later). This reinforces for me personally that the Old and New Testaments are written by misguided, power hungry men.
Old 2011-09-21, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Wahooo
Captain

I would also state that a lot of the actual conflict arises because some religious folk view their holy texts as absolute fact and interpret it literally, which does not seem logically sound given that contexts change drastically over hundreds and thousands of years, as does human interaction. The context under which a text was written may be entirely different in the present day.
Not sure why I only snipped this part, I didn't want to re-quote the whole post but had a hard time picking out the exactly relevant parts.

Anyway the reason you are having such a hard time here is, there is really nothing about religion that is logical. You aren't supposed to change it to fit logic or meet with science. That is what faith is all about, unquestioning adherence to some illogical set of stories whose interpretation of the meaning changes, or rather classifies one denomination from the other.

1. If the Bible or other religious texts are/were the work of man, then they are inherently fallible and in no way are they fit to be the basis of a religion nor would they be authoritative on the wishes or intentions of God. If this is the case then the text SHOULD be questioned and SHOULD be changed and where it disagrees with what we learn through proper science then it should simply be modified or deleted. Good luck with that eh? At this point we can look at all the fallacies and inconsistencies we see in the texts and pretty much dismiss almost all of it in the name of logic and science and keep the good parts like don’t kill, don’t lie, love your neighbor… but not your neighbor’s wife that is a no-no as well. So in the end religion is a nice summary of rules on how to be nice. We may as well get Miss Manners to re-write the books.

2. If the Bible is the “inspired” word of God, then it is still a work of man, see above.

3. If the Bible is the true word of God then it is beyond reproach and perfect in every way. There should be no room for interpretation or issues of logic. God is by definition a perfect being incapable of error.

“Revelation 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.”

So God is aware of what will be, and therefore there should not be any need to “update” or interpret any of God’s word for a “more modern time” as he would be aware of these modern times and his word, being perfect will still hold true in this time and all times. We may need to dig and search and cross-reference the text to understand spiritual meaning within but every word of the Book MUST be taken as the pure word of God and read literally. If it is not then it is the work of man, and if it is the work of man… then see point 1.

So now the problem lies, does science disagree with the literal reading of the religious text? If it does, and the text is the pure word of God, then the scientific conclusions must be wrong. If the science is not wrong, then the text is in question. If the text is in question then how can it be the word of God, therefore the whole text is in question. If the text is 100% correct then every point of contention between the two pretty much turns up our whole understanding of the world and many different fundamentals of many different branches of science. I’d say that is a bit of a conflict.

Last edited by Wahooo; 2011-09-21 at 06:59 PM. Reason: some grammar/spelling... probably more issues still
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-21, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-09-11 at 04:04 AM.
Old 2011-09-21, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Let's put it this way:
A men wrote the Bible
B men are fallible
then
C the Bible may be flawed

More specifically though, I'm against the idea that God decided that adulterers should be stoned to death. Oh, but then He changed his mind and decided to "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Where the hell was the compassion back before that? Did the omnipotent, eternal, unchanging, loving and just God wake up one morning and say "You know what... I think we've brutally murdered enough adulterers, let's stop that."

And Abraham... the founder of Christianity, Islam and Judaism... You see a guy getting ready to slice his son's throat open, you ask him what's up, he says "God told me to kill him". Call the cops? Try to save the kid? Hell no! Make him your religious leader!

Oh, and when he impregnates his two daughters, do you call Child Protective Services? Do you have him on Jerry Springer for having a F**KED UP family? NO! His sons are to be the kings of nations! And He surely is God's prophet.

And I'd like to see someone read Revelations with a straight face. John says "On the Lord's day, I was in the spirit" and goes on to say he saw a vision of Christ where "Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.'" Now if you ask me, "in the spirit" is one HELL of a drug.

And it's this ridiculous and self-contradicting book that we're supposed to acquire the wisdom of an eternal, serene, CONSISTENT, just and loving God? That my friend, requires faith.

EDIT:
Malorn: It seems that your point is that -most- of the Bible is good for society. Why would we expect a book directly inspired by an all-powerful and all-knowing God to be "mostly good"? I wouldn't expect God to lay out the scientific details of the beginning of life and the Universe to ancient desert tribesmen... but a consistent morality would be a damn good start!

And why would a God of the entire Earth (and Universe) only reveal these divine teachings to a fraction of humanity? The entire Western Hemisphere didn't learn about monotheism until a couple of hundred years ago! Why would God let them fend for themselves morally, if the Bible is the direct moral compass inspired by God?

Last edited by Accuser; 2011-09-21 at 07:26 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-21, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-09-11 at 04:04 AM.
Old 2011-09-21, 11:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
CutterJohn
Colonel

Religion = Why our universe exists, our purpose within it, and rules by which we should live our lives.
Why does there have to be a why? Why does there have to be some grand purpose to life or the existence of the universe? Why is a 2000 year old book better at telling us how to live than a popularly elected government?

Religion has always tried to say how and why. And at every step of the way, every point in history, its hows and whys have been proven wrong. Over and over and over again. I don't see much reason to believe its hows and whys on behavior and purpose.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-09-21 at 11:36 PM.
Old 2011-09-22, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Elude
First Sergeant

Science can be as easily compared to religion as it can to soccer or anything else for that matter. Science doesn't have to prove anything wrong in religion for it to be right, just because science can't explain why scores are kept or why there are opposing teams in soccer does not make it wrong.

Just trying to show exactly how silly the comparison actually is, we might as well ask the question... How fast is the letter A?
Old 2011-09-22, 03:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Vecha
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Also, science is never based on Faith, and religion is. Main conflict thar'...

I'd say some science is based on faith...

A theory starts out as a belief and a faith that you will be able to prove it.

Are you familiar with tectonics? (might be spelling it wrong).

At one point...a section for scientists flat out didn't believe that they earth was always recycling the crust...another group did believe...but did not know how to prove this theory...

Eventually they were able to by taking samples off the earth's ocean floor in several places...

But I digress...

The point is..before they can prove...they must believe.
Old 2011-09-22, 03:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Well now....

Religion really doesn't need the help of science to be invalidated, but then again the more knowledge the common man has, the less they need supernatural explanations for everything.

However the primary attraction for religion is the transferring of responsibility for situations. People take comfort in the idea that everything is 'god's fault'.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum