Resource distribution and lack of meta game - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Roadkill, its whats for dinner.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-15, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

Re: Resource distribution and lack of meta game

That makes perfect sense, if you can still collect resources when you're on another map or logged out than there's no point to having a resource system.

I'm really interested to see if they will allow bases to be hacked past, say, midnight or something. Since your entire faction is depending on resources, it would be weird to let something that 2000 people fought over all afternoon be reset by a few dozen insomniacs at 5 in the morning.
Old 2012-07-15, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Last I heard about resources form others conts, it was still up in the air on whether or not they would allow it. Off line gathering was given as a possible example of something they COULD (read NOT confirmed in) do with the premium sub accounts
Old 2012-07-15, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
EisenKreutzer
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by fvdham View Post
No, you don't. You only earn resources for the hexes your faction controls of the map you are currently are on.
Yes, thats what I ment, sorry if I was unclear. How is this a problem?
Old 2012-07-15, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
Bet you $10 this resource stuff will be removed from the game.
You're on.
Old 2012-07-15, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
fvdham
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
Yes, thats what I ment, sorry if I was unclear. How is this a problem?
This makes each map an instance, instead of one global war.

In PlanetSide 1, what happened on one map had effect on a different map.

- Capture a planet to make a base (un)hackable on a different map.
- Capture a cave to get module benefits on a linked map.
- Capture Oshur to get vehicle repair on other maps.

There was Grand Strategy.
Different connected maps making one large map.

In PlanetSide 2 there is not.
What happens one map has no effect on what happens on another map.
So in PlanetSide 2 there is less scale.

Last edited by fvdham; 2012-07-15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 2012-07-15, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by fvdham View Post
This makes each map an instance, instead of one global war.

In PlanetSide 1, what happened on one map had effect on a different map.

- Capture a planet to make a base (un)hackable on a different map.
- Capture a cave to get module benefits on a linked map.
- Capture Oshur to get vehicle repair on other maps.

There was Grand Strategy.
Different connected maps making one large map.

In PlanetSide 2 there is not.
What happens one map has no effect on what happens on another map.
So in PlanetSide 2 there is less scale.
Exactly

The hex system is a great innovation, and the resources probably a great idea too. Where the flaw is, is that its purely about localization to other hexes, and being on a continent allows use of resources from continent.

What it is short of is the idea that resources are gathered and stored at a hackable centre in the middle of the hex, and resources are then funneled via pipelines or something to adjacent hex centres. Scissoring between enemy lines would cut one side from the resources of another and vice versa.

Likewise links from one continent to another add to the scope, you are being pushed into a corner of one continent, but opening a link via warpgate to the other continent means resources from there can be used.

This is also where generators could be used in the equation. Rather than just cutting power to terminals and spawn rooms, they drive the resource chain.Its like ants without the ants, and gives a necessity to backhacking and resecuring.

Oh, someones hacked hex whatever on esamir, if they get it it will reinforce their fight here on Indar.

I'm not talking about the long lattice links like in ps1, just using the hex adjacent formula to increase the overall map flow. The central hex on each map as it is will end up being a 24/7 cyssorside and you may as well just draw the map into a 3 piece pie and just fight in the middle otherwise.
Old 2012-07-15, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
SgtExo
Staff Sergeant

For a nice denial tactic, the resource should only be collected if there is a connection to your factions safe zone. So any hex that is cut off from the safe zone would not contribute any resource to the players. This would allow outfits to cut off the supply of resources and if they could keep the supply cut off for long enough, vehicle production would start to drop. This would require the outfits to hold the captured hexes for a while, but that would be interesting.

Another thing that could be added is that cut of hexes start to pile up resources and if they captured, the attackers would receive bonus resources. But if the hex is relieved (the link to the safe zone is restored), the resource pileup goes back to the faction at an increased rate until the stocked resource is drained.

This could make a fun and interesting meta-game for outfits and commanders to plan and pull off. Finding ways to maximize their resource income and minimize the enemies.
Old 2012-07-15, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by GhettoPrince View Post
That makes perfect sense, if you can still collect resources when you're on another map or logged out than there's no point to having a resource system.

I'm really interested to see if they will allow bases to be hacked past, say, midnight or something. Since your entire faction is depending on resources, it would be weird to let something that 2000 people fought over all afternoon be reset by a few dozen insomniacs at 5 in the morning.
This is a global game... Your "insomniacs" are my prime-time...

I can't tell you how many times I've logged off with the world 80% one colour only to turn up in your prime time and see another bloody Gunuku-Faro-Honsi clusterfuck with all our good work undone.

So I think that the idea about offline resources being linked to ALL of your safe zones is a good one. But like I said a few pages ago, the resource system will become irrelevant after a few weeks.

Last edited by StumpyTheOzzie; 2012-07-15 at 10:06 PM.
Old 2012-07-15, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
Resources will not be removed. They will be so common that nobody will care. People will whinge that they can't afford a tank, so "drop" rates will go up and up and up so that any half decent, active person (everyone on these forums) will have resources out their eyeballs.
So your assumption is that the Devs are so willing to listen to the "community" that they are willing to dropkick balance in an effort to appease a vocal minority? (Especially considering there will likely be other vocal groups telling that group to kindly stop wasting resources and play the game as it is at the time.)

It's possible, but I doubt it.
Old 2012-07-15, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

I have a strong opinion that the metagame is what differentiates planetside 1 from every other FPS and MMO out there. The ability for the few to influence the many is what this game has always been about. That said, my impression from when I was there Friday tells me that the PS2 team understands this. The basic game mechanics right now are absolutely solid, and SOE's focus appears to be gradually shifting into fleshing out the metagame and lifting the game to its fullest potential. It may not be immediately clear to the team what is needed, but that's what beta is for.

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan

Last edited by Sardus; 2012-07-15 at 11:22 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion