News: New Planetside 2 Interview on Strategy Informer - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The +10 in my screen isn't 10 points for a kill?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-08-24, 12:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Re: New Planetside 2 Interview on Strategy Informer

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
Basically you can't shoot if you're aiming directly at a friendly and your crosshair turns into an appropriate icon so you know what's wrong. Ideally, the system also drops your weapon a bit, to make it look all tactical, well-drilled and stuff.
I really like the idea of a weapons lock when your gun is aimed at a friendly target close range, and your crosshair is green... Obviously this wouldn't stop friendly fire and it would probably take a fair amount of play-testing to see how fucked it was in reality...

I love the concept though!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-08-24, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Grimster
First Lieutenant

I am alll for full FF like Planetside has today. Even if it sometimes pisses me off when I get grief because some retard can't run in a straight line and gets run over by me in my tank.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2011-08-24, 01:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Think people are reading to much into this FF business. They probably have a reason its turned off at the begining. Lets just do our job and test the game when it comes.
Old 2011-08-24, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Dark Atlantis
Private

Interesting interview!
I'm not sure what I should think about "no Friendly-Fire" ..., without this the game will turn into a spam fest...
Anyway, very interesting for me is the ressource system, they mentioned Rail Guns, but I don't get it yet. Do players have to unlock weapons with those ressources? Or upgrade them? Or even "pay" with ressources everytime you want to use THAT specific weapon (similar to crafting)?
I'm also worried about the ressources at all. If you need ressources for a weapon (Rail Gun), but your faction was not doing good in the last time and you have less ground, you have less ressources... which leads to the most basic weapon with the lowest damage output?
Old 2011-08-24, 02:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Heaven
Master Sergeant

Why not have it so friendly bullets take very very little damage from your faction like 2% of health or something like that, but you get a large amounts of grief...
Old 2011-08-24, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Grimster View Post
I am alll for full FF like Planetside has today. Even if it sometimes pisses me off when I get grief because some retard can't run in a straight line and gets run over by me in my tank.
Back before pedestrian grief, you'd get people standing in front of vehicles all the time and drivers getting locked. Not even out of malice, just pure fußgänger stupidity. Adding grief to the people getting hit did more to make them get the f out of the way than dying ever did.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-08-24, 04:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
hippieschuh
Private

I dont understand why anyone would change FF, it was fine in PS1, with the grief system you had to be aware what you are shooting.

It was perfect, why change?
Old 2011-08-24, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Timey
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Minigun View Post
why not make FF do full damage to the person your attacking, you accumulate grief, and ALSO you take the same ammount of damage you just delt. or perhaps a little less just for those little accidents. that discourages everyone from doing it.

edit: full friendly fire with grief with no reflection penalty until 100grief.
at 100 grief still 100% FF but you gain 50% reflected back at you
at 200 grief still 100% FF you gain 100% reflected back at you
at XXX grief weapons lock, log off and think about who is who before you pull the trigger

Getting hit yourself if some idiot runs in front of your cone of fire is just stupid. If you've ever played mount & blade warband online you'd know you suggestion is just... not good
Old 2011-08-24, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
NlightN
Private

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
I really like the idea of a weapons lock when your gun is aimed at a friendly target close range, and your crosshair is green... Obviously this wouldn't stop friendly fire and it would probably take a fair amount of play-testing to see how fucked it was in reality...

I love the concept though!

It's the guy who's too careless, or just too gungho to pay attention to what his teammates behind him are doing that causes FF to happen. That's why HE should be the one being penalized, having his weapon locked until he moves out of the LoF.

But still have some kind of grief for a shooter who's doing it too frequently.
Old 2011-08-24, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Whoknowswhat1
Corporal

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Minigun View Post
why not make FF do full damage to the person your attacking, you accumulate grief, and ALSO you take the same ammount of damage you just delt. or perhaps a little less just for those little accidents. that discourages everyone from doing it.

edit: full friendly fire with grief with no reflection penalty until 100grief.
at 100 grief still 100% FF but you gain 50% reflected back at you
at 200 grief still 100% FF you gain 100% reflected back at you
at XXX grief weapons lock, log off and think about who is who before you pull the trigger
I like this idea, but the average PS player has about 100 grief constantly, wether it be from killing terms so other factions do use them (like when defending an interlink, first thing u do when the are in the CY is blow top terms and vpad). Why should i get penalized for doing something that helps my empire?

What u suggest is an Eye for an Eye, Tooth for a Tooth. Which we all know leaves us a bunch of dead, blind, toothless players. As much as i would love to see this, it would do more harm than good.

p.s. weapons lock doesnt count down when your offline

Mess with the best, Die like the rest
Old 2011-08-24, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Bags
Lieutenant General

I haven't had over 100 grief in years. But then of course I don't shoot teammates so...
Old 2011-08-24, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Raymac
Brigadier General

Yeah, apart from the rare exception, if you get weapons lock, you deserve it. I'm sure there is room for improvement in the grief system, but overall it works great. Thats IF we have FF in PS2 of course.

Old 2011-08-24, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I haven't had over 100 grief in years. But then of course I don't shoot teammates so...
damn do you even fire your gun?
Old 2011-08-24, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

You guys seem to be missing the real problem, they have TTK's too low so even a few stray bullets will kill or dam near kill someone. They arent takin into account the scale of PS2's combat when workin on the TTK. If its too low for FF, its too low period.

You cant cheat it with lower damage or no damage to friendlies, as its not only stupid and lame, but causes a ton of other side effects in bad gameplay and you'll end up with countless more bandaid solutions to fix the problems it causes, which in turn cause more. It must be left at full 100% FF damage.

They need to work on the TTK and the FF issue will be fine, make it appropriate for a game of this size, TTK like that of BF wont work, it has to be longer. Nor will direct comparisons with PS1 work since that game also had much lower weapon accuracy which were a big contributor to longer TTK's.

Its really only half armor/bullet damage. The other half is weapon accuracy when it comes to real world TTK. Shoot a dummy in vr, it dies stupid fast, you just dont hit your target nearly as often with the inaccuracy of weapons in real combat in PS1, that wont be nearly the case in PS2. In other words if you had the same weapon damage and armor values, but moved em to PS2, the greatly increased accuracy and hit detection alone would mean a huge reduction in TTK just simply due to you landing alot more bullets on average, i would bet anything that accuracy alone from just ironsights that dont bloom plus better net code (hit detection) would drop it by dam near half when it comes to MA rifles.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2011-08-24 at 03:57 PM.
Old 2011-08-24, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Tigersmith View Post
damn do you even fire your gun?
Yes, I do. Quite frequently too.

My last few sessions. On one of them I got a few grief points for being run over and that was it. I think I got around 20 - 30 on my VS but that's due to the orbs being slower than bullets.

It's all about the situation awareness.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-08-24 at 05:22 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion