PSU: Better than a adult friend finder
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-06-07, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
mefy
Corporal

Need 2nd opinion on this new rig build.

Please give me a 2nd opinion on this build and give any tips and any addons as well. Need help before buying anything, my friend suggested this rig and don't want to impulse buy, ya know?

casehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139006

HDD

video card

power supply

ram

cooler

cd

SSD HDD

motherboard

processor

wireless network

Last edited by mefy; 2012-06-07 at 06:09 PM.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Surprise
Private

Re: Need 2nd opinion on this new rig build.

I like this case, is upgrading to this cpu and motherboard within budget? other then that getting a 680 might be a wait. http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/...nvidia/gtx680/ is a good site to look for them in stock. I would buy as high as I can within budget.

Last edited by Surprise; 2012-06-07 at 08:35 AM.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

You messed up some of your links there like the PSU and I do not see the SSD. So I can't give proper feedback.

I don't like the FTW 580, isn't worth the extra cost when you can overclock yourself. The ram is way over kill, a 2 x 4GB 1333 MHz/1600 MHz is all you need there. Do you actually need a bluray player?

Can you answer these questions as well?

1. What is your budget and does that include shipping/taxes?

2. Where do you live (Please list if possible town, state, and country)?

3. What do you need this computer to do (like gaming, Photoshop, and so on)?

4. What parts will you need for the computer? Please list what parts specifically.

5. Are you reusing any parts for this computer? If so please say what parts.

6. What kind of monitor/resolution do you have or want to get to use for the computer?

7. Do you have a legit OS? If so what OS and is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

8. What are you looking for the motherboard to have feature wise? Like SLI, Crossfire, Firewire, USB 3.0, Sata 6.0 Gb/s, and so on.

9. Any plans to overclock the CPU or GPU?

10. What time kind of time frame are you planning on ordering these parts?
Old 2012-06-07, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I like this case, is upgrading to this cpu and motherboard within budget?
I wouldn't recommend this, no matter the budget. He's be far better off using that money to replace the i5/Z77 with a new Haswell CPU/MB after a year.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-06-07, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

benefit of a ftw card is that they do tend to clock higher from my experience. I have heard that EVGA is notorious for picky binning and over the years I have consistently achieved higher overclocks with cards that come pre overclocked from EVGA. That being said I think the OP would be better off picking up a GPU with better coolign on it. I just grabbed a gigabyte 680 from newegg for 40$ less than the EVGA that has far better cooling and pretty much same factory overclocks. Also if Im not mistaken the EVGA 680 is only 3 year warranty same as the Gigabyte so about all youre getting for the price difference is a dvi to vga adapter.

as mentioned cant see the SSD, but I would recommend a crucial m4 if you hadnt already been looking at them. They had the 256gb for 199 on the egg the other day and Ive never had a problem with a crucial ssd in any of my builds.
Old 2012-06-07, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
mefy
Corporal

just fixed the links, thanks for the heads up goku. help me outs!
Old 2012-06-07, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

It would help if you answered all those questions from my first post I had in here. Just throwing a build up isn't the best way to get feedback is all.

Either get a Stock 680 for $500 or spend the extra on at least an aftermarket cooler like this or this.

This is what I would change:
Samsung F3 1TB HDD - Cheaper and faster vs WD
Corsair TX650 650W PSU - You don't need 750W for your build. This is more then enough.
Gskill 2x4GB 1600MHz RAM - You don't need 16GB of ram, so thats a total waste of money.
Crucial M4 128GB SSD - Same price as Corsair, but its a better brand with higher reliability and customer service.
ASUS Z77/Core i5 3570K - Cheaper then what you were looking at for a mobo as it just as good.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
mefy
Corporal

sorry bro didnt read the other part, just briefly skimmed over.

1. What is your budget and does that include shipping/taxes? $1500-2000, including shipping.

2. Where do you live (Please list if possible town, state, and country)? Maui, Hawaii(zipcode-96793)

3. What do you need this computer to do (like gaming, Photoshop, and so on)? Mostly gaming but also other small tasks.

4. What parts will you need for the computer? Please list what parts specifically. Basically everything, I have nothing as of right now.

5. Are you reusing any parts for this computer? If so please say what parts. Nope, will be completely brand new rig.

6. What kind of monitor/resolution do you have or want to get to use for the computer? I have a decent monitor right now, will upgrade after computer is built.

7. Do you have a legit OS? If so what OS and is it 32-bit or 64-bit? Don't have an OS as of right now but will buy as well, im guessing windows7 regular?

8. What are you looking for the motherboard to have feature wise? Like SLI, Crossfire, Firewire, USB 3.0, Sata 6.0 Gb/s, and so on. Definitely USB 3.0. Any other perks, i'm not too sure of. Open to suggestions.

9. Any plans to overclock the CPU or GPU? I don't know actually, would it be worth it? I just want a good rig that will be able to handle PS2 for the next several years.

10. What time kind of time frame are you planning on ordering these parts? Dunno, maybe a month or so? I could order all the parts in a day if it seemed fit.

Also as far as the processor goes, is ivy bridge worth the extra cost for the increased performance it may bring to games such as PS2? As you can see i'm not too knowledgeable in this area nowadays, lol. Thanks for the help so far everyone.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

What type of resolution are you going to have? 1920x1080, 2560x1600
Old 2012-06-07, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
mefy
Corporal

For my monitor/video card? I dunno... what's the standard one? lol
Old 2012-06-07, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Just right click and hit screen resolution on your desktop. It will show what you have. Any idea as to what monitor you were looking at getting possibly down the road?
Old 2012-06-07, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
mefy
Corporal

Right now its 1280x1024.

Probably a monitor a big bigger, but not too much. I will buy the monitor after the rig is built though, those are easy to acquire.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Big monitor as in 30 inch or just a 23 inch? 30 inches are 2560x1600 and go for $900ish. 23 inch is your common one these days with 1920x1080 and go for $100-$300. Just trying to figure this out as if you are just going 1920x1080 you can get away with a GTX 670.
Old 2012-06-08, 05:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
mefy
Corporal

yeah i'll just stick to a 23inch, right now its 18 or 19 or something.
Old 2012-06-20, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
mefy
Corporal

Last minute opinion! Ordering rig parts today.

1. What is your budget and does that include shipping/taxes? $1500-2000 including shipping

2. Where do you live (Please list if possible town, state, and country)? Hawaii, Maui

3. What do you need this computer to do (like gaming, Photoshop, and so on)? Mostly just gaming

4. What parts will you need for the computer? Please list what parts specifically. Everything except monitor and OS

5. Are you reusing any parts for this computer? If so please say what parts. Nope, all new except minitor/OS

6. What kind of monitor/resolution do you have or want to get to use for the computer? 23 inch 1920x1080

7. Do you have a legit OS? If so what OS and is it 32-bit or 64-bit? Windows7

8. What are you looking for the motherboard to have feature wise? Like SLI, Crossfire, Firewire, USB 3.0, Sata 6.0 Gb/s, and so on. USB 3.0 and whatever else is great

9. Any plans to overclock the CPU or GPU? Not sure really

10. What time kind of time frame are you planning on ordering these parts? ASAP, ordering today hopefully!

Here is my current rig setup, please give me your feedbacks!!! <3

case

HDD

video card

PSW

RAM

fans

CD drive

SSD drive

Processor/mobo combo

wireless adapter

Sound card- Any recommendations for a good sound card $75 or less?

headset

This is pretty much my build so far. Should I get more fans to cool my PC? If so, any recommendations?

Pretty much just looking for any feedback and/or additional parts. Thanks so much guys! With beta right around the corner I want an awesome rig that will handle PS2 for many years to come! Thanks Goku and everyone else that has been such a huge help along the way!!!
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum