Realistic Physics - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Coming to a computer near you.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-01-29, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Realistic Physics

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
Strafing is fine. If it occurs as it does with a person in a more realistic situation. Bouncing back and forth instantly with no acceleration or significant aiming penalty is bad for most players, good for a very, very few.

Weaving as you run at someone is one thing. Jerking back and forth? Why not make it so we can hop up and down endlessly also, as they do in UT? Why not go all the way and make soldiers fly all over, bouncing off walls, ceilings, floors, and becoming invisible?

The hyper-strafing we have now makes the game worse for many, benefits a few. Just like the 5g acceleration of the Mosquito, or the 3g acceleration of the Reaver.
It's only bad because of the net code. Fight someone who lives near you and it's a joke to hit them.
Old 2011-01-29, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
It's only bad because of the net code. Fight someone who lives near you and it's a joke to hit them.
Right. So, instead of creating a situation where everyone has to live within a mile of each other, why not optimize the gameplay for the fact that we are literally all over the world, in all four hemispheres?
Old 2011-01-30, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Bags
Lieutenant General

Right. So, instead of creating a situation where everyone has to live within a mile of each other, why not optimize the gameplay for the fact that we are literally all over the world, in all four hemispheres?
Because planetside was made with 2003's technology, and we are now in 2011?
Old 2011-01-30, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Hamma
PSU Admin

You really aren't very good at contributing constructively Bags. Please contribute to the threads you post in rather than try and create arguments.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-01-30, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Traak
Colonel

There is a balance between accessibility to a wider audience, and having 100X200 pixel graphics (think Tele-Pong). I hope PS:Next gets it a lot better this time around than they did last time around.

I feel the pain of the guys with the inadequate computers because I am one of them. While I aspire to having an awesome computer that looks like a cross between a Chernobyl fuel core and an enemy spaceship, with ultra-zoot everything, in the meantime, I do not want to have to wait until that time to get out of "This is a slide show of you being dismantled by someone" level of graphics speed.

I speak for millions when I say this: make it accessible, and we won't get discouraged and quit. Other MMO's have userbases in the millions, and they don't all whine and cry that they can't count the hairs on the mole on the chin of some enemy ogre or whatever.

The gameplay's the thing wherein we will catch the conscience of the Zergling.

A rose with half the pixel count and less animations will still smell as sweet.

Cater to the masses and live like the classes. Cater to the classes and you will live like the masses, i.e. PS 1.
Old 2011-01-31, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Tikuto
Major

Animations
They have to be awesome. Realistic, varied, fluent.
Why? - It's an essential competative factor between unsuccessful and successful top-league games.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-01-31 at 03:45 PM.
Old 2011-01-31, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
Animations
Why? - It's an essential competative factor between unsuccessful and successful top-league games.
You're in the wrong thread; this is about physics and not animation silly. As long as the animations are as good as PS1's they should be fine.
Old 2011-01-31, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Evilmp
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
Animations
i just wrote a (long) post about why i think graphics aren't that essential

then i realized you said animations

as far as adad goes:

people are going to find any advantage they can and adad offers them one.

solution?

AOE

there is nothing wrong with the aircraft acceleration. i think some people just get angry because it's something that doesn't present itself for them to shoot at.

ie, reaver shot me. he's flying away. that ****** come back here.

solution?

use teamwork. have somebody in AA gear. it won't prevent air attacks unless it exists in good amounts, but it is a deterrent. if you want to get rid of air, then go air and stop complaining about gameplay. you're going to have to learn how to balance your strengths.
Old 2011-01-31, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Raymac
Brigadier General

As far as strafing goes, c'mon you just have to deal with it. There is a line between 'realisitic simulation' and 'action game', and simulations are boring for most people. Planetside already has to overcome the idea that it is slow because of the size of the maps, so having slower gameplay would hurt it that much more.

As far as movement goes, I think Call of Duty has nailed it pretty well. You can still strafe, but it's not super-quick, and your accuracy increases the slower you move. (i.e. looking down the sights)

I do agree with the OP about changing the acceleration of the aircraft. I was a pretty dedicated reaver pilot, so I'm nerfing myself here, but I love the idea of decreasing the low end acceleration and giving the aircraft better high end acceleration to encourage pilots to keep their speed up.

If you were caught hovering by a burster or skyguard you'd get blasted, but anything else and you could get away fairly easily thanks to the afterburners. Overall, I liked the flight mechanics, so I don't want them to reinvent the wheel, but I think this minor adjustment will benefit the game play as a whole.
Old 2011-02-07, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Tremadog
Private

I do think the vehicle physics need some love, but this "A+D Strafing" thing seems very petty to me. I don't have a supercomputer, and I'm not sitting on the Planetside server, but I get acceptable performance. I'm from the UK logging onto the last remaining (US) server, too.

To be honest, I don't think the avatars move fast enough for it to be a serious problem in Planetside. If you have played a game like Team Fortess 2, with servers full of bunnyhopping, double-jumping scouts tapdancing on your face, Planetside's infantry seem like a nonissue in comparison. Having to accelerate when simply sidestepping or moving forwards would just make every player seem like a lumbering oaf. Would we need to make sure we stop before we get to our intended destination to avoid running face-first into walls? Jumping over a pile of rocks already makes our avatars have to sit down and wheeze for half a minute before they can carry on.

I do agree that if someone is moving about a lot, they should have more difficulty aiming due to a cone-of-fire adjustment, but then again, the Heavy Assault weapons seem to be designed to be fired from the hip at close range rather than carefully aimed.

I don't want to sound overly negative, I've tried to make my post lighthearted in tone, but computer games can take inspiration for cinema as well as reality, and dodging and evading fire just seems more exciting to me than having everyone avoiding bullets by crawling on their bellies hoping the pixels on the top of their head aren't too exposed. I don't think Tikuto's point should have been disregarded in this thread so flippantly. If the player models are animated well, it will be easier to tell which direction they are moving in, so strafing from side to side won't just look like a wiggling cardboard cutout.

As I said, I agree entirely with vehicle physics being overhauled. I don't think there is anything wrong with Planetside's VTOLs hovering and attacking targets, they are portayed more like helicopters than aircraft anyway, but the transition between forward movement and hovering could be adjusted. However, a hovering gunship shouldn't be a free kill if you get the drop on it, either.

The only flaw I see with improving vehicle physics overall in PS:N is that if I drive a heavy Marauder-style buggy around with more realistic physics, I'm certain to smash the suspension with my reckless driving!
Old 2011-02-07, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Make flight more realistic, that's my only gripe.
Old 2011-02-07, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
CutterJohn
Colonel

I'd like Threshers to be more of a ground effect aircraft in handling than a car with invisible wheels. You should have to bank into turns, and should be able to pull up and do little jumps(if you have enough momentum) or ramp off of hills.

Old 2011-02-07, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
KCTitan
Private

Originally Posted by TheRagingGerbil View Post
I'm ok with physics that are a little more realistic. Say along the lines of Battlefield 2142. Actually, my perfect game would be 2142 on planetsides scale, but thats besides the point.
I have to agree with this.

BF2142 had an awesome physics engine with it's aircraft.
Old 2011-02-08, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
There's no aspect of skill in hitting a moving target? Right. The only issue I have with ADAD spam is CSHD=warp and people going through walls / cielings. If it worked 100% properly all the time it'd be fine.
CSHD has very little to do with warping, and absolutely nothing do with the physics engine of the game.

Warping will be fixed in the next game for sure.

as for the aircraft hovering...ITS CALLED A HARRIER.

Reavers are more based off helicopters anyway, being gunships and all.

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2011-02-08 at 01:33 AM.
Old 2011-02-10, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
morf
First Sergeant

Try getting in a point-blank firefight in Fallujah, and in the middle of it, strafe back and forth. See if that increases your survivability.
Been there. Done that. Lived to post about it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion