Planetside Next release date -Not this march? not Q2? not this year? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where chia pwnz joo
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-02-07, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Jackale
Private

Re: Planetside Next release date -Not this march? not Q2? not this year?

anyone think well hear something from GDC end of Feb to early march?
Old 2011-02-07, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by KayOneElRoy View Post
Makes me worry... I really hope it does not come out so early, unless they are only intentionally showing us models and not in game images. Also they better have some bad ass marketing cooked up to wow the world in such short notice.
If they've got the game mostly finished, I doubt a march release but end of Q1/early Q2 doesn't sound terribly far-fetched.

A month for advertising isn't too short.
Old 2011-02-08, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Jackale View Post
anyone think well hear something from GDC end of Feb to early march?
Hard to say - there are quite a few gaming conferences coming up hopefully we will hear something from one of them.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-02-08, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
A month for advertising isn't too short.
Not in SOE's case... consider the sort of advertising that the original game got. Man I hope they don't fuck this up. I *REALLY* hate having to tell experienced FPS gamers about Planetside. Thankfully numbers are going up so they don't have to try the game on a dead server.

I remember being at SOE Fan Faire in 2006 and some smarmy little shit from SOE was at a PS briefing and said something like "Pshaw! I've done more for Planetside's marketing in the last six months than they ever did from day one!"

I said "So you've done zero. Two times zero is still zero."

Fucker had a drink in his hand. I thought he was gonna dash it on my shirt.
Old 2011-02-08, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Bags
Lieutenant General

Lol, how did he respond? Just an angry glare?
Old 2011-02-14, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Valverde
Corporal

I remember my Freshman Year at Full Sail I met the CEO and his board of SOE, at a Table Discussion. SOE that I know of has always been willing to make last minute decisions. I agree with the being cryptic will most likely make people angry. But that I know of no one especially when comes to subscriptions, ever goes into a game without at least a few months of Beta. Even if they just jump into Open Beta.

Here is how I think it will go. I think in March we will see a couple of things:
-A Website
-A Working Title
-A Trailer
-Concept Art
-Closed Beta/Open Beta Invites
-Forums
-Developer Interviews
-Release Date

After atleast few Months of Beta You could expect to see a release. Not saying I haven't been surprised, but a pre-mature release is always bad.
Old 2011-02-14, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
TRex
First Sergeant

I have a feeling maybe for quite some time some department at soe have been working on a new engine , possibly with ps3 in mind as they were developing the ps3 and using planetside as a skin to test it out as a simulation or similar. Maybe just a small map like one of the battle islands .

Bring that forward , give it new artwork and you get variations from it , one of them being mag.

So, you could say from that, all they need to do was adjust the engine or code to work for the pc , and get the artists now that mag or whatever was released on the ps3 to start working as a side project on re-working the original planetside artwork for a more modern look.

Obviously , instead of just one battle island , they need to re-do all the continents but maybe keep everything battle island size to confine the area over which to fight and make it more intense and people in the battle area and less down-time . Instead of 9 continents , split them all into battle island chunks and you get 36 mini-continents .

Smaller maps , more active fighting , fighting over multiple continents , commanding requires more coordination over multiple continents , and a quicker ,more varied flow around the global map hopefully will result.

The added benefit of this is that since they are smaller maps , the idea is probably easier to function within the constraints of the ps3 , giving an alternative output for the finished article from the pc.

All theoretical I agree, but they have said they have been working on ps for quite some time , all we are seeing is artwork at the moment and the whole ps:n thing so far has been very vague and surreal with no real official soe announcement yet at all. I just have the feeling that the bigger picture is how soe can make the best investment , and Smedley is really just appeasing ps fans that something good is coming without revealing too much. It may be q2 is the point where beta is required methinks.
Old 2011-02-14, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Raymac
Brigadier General

Trex, minor punctuation editing aside, I think you might be close to the mark. With the success of DCUO being an mmo for both the console and pc, it's not far-fetched to think they might try to do the same for PS:N. At this point, I'd be surprised if it wasn't pc only, but crazier things have happened.

Also, from what was recently said from somebody working on the China version, the engine is basically done, they are just working on the artwork now. This would go a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG way to explaining why we are just now finally seeing some images. You can't give a screenshot of code and say, "Looks cool, eh?"

The closer they get done to the final artwork, the more we will start to see, and then it will be like flood gates opening.
Old 2011-02-14, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Jackale
Private

I think you're right Ray, I was also wondering if why we have been hearing so little of PS:N is because of how well DCUO is doing and that SOE does not want to compete one new game against another so soon.
Old 2011-02-14, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Valverde
Corporal

That would be fantastic, if so I think the MMO market could really thrive from consoles. I know the Graphical Possibilities are lower, but nonetheless I know it would be nice to play a MMO and only worry about buying a $299.99 Console, rather then a $599.99 Computer. It usually it ends up being on the higher end of $999.99.

Though I will say(I am not trying to start a console war when I say this.) the PS3's abilities to handle massive amount of particles, and instances of Particles and Events is quite extreme, and as far as MMO games with multiple sets/types of Anomalies, and Particles that would be very nice.
Old 2011-02-14, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by Valverde View Post
That would be fantastic, if so I think the MMO market could really thrive from consoles. I know the Graphical Possibilities are lower, but nonetheless I know it would be nice to play a MMO and only worry about buying a $299.99 Console, rather then a $599.99 Computer. It usually it ends up being on the higher end of $999.99.

Though I will say(I am not trying to start a console war when I say this.) the PS3's abilities to handle massive amount of particles, and instances of Particles and Events is quite extreme, and as far as MMO games with multiple sets/types of Anomalies, and Particles that would be very nice.

Just as many people would hate it to be multiplatform though. We had a whole topic discussing this. A PS3 version will definitely have negative effects on the PC version. Smaller battles. Crappier interface an so on. A PS3 just is not a PC. At this point its quite dated an would greatly hold the game back if it had to run on it too.

That is unless they spent the sizable chunk of extra money an development time it would take to make two distinct versions of Next. If they do then I would be fine with it.
Old 2011-02-15, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Don't even say Console version man. Ugh. The worst thing is everything starts working with pop-up menus because it has to work with controllers. You'll only be using 4 buttons for the rest of the game

Aiming will probably be made easier since consolers with their shitty analog sticks need aiming aids to play properly..

Yes i hate console jocks! :P
Old 2011-02-15, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

This is an MMO. Leave the fucking game on the fucking PC, and let the Xbox/PS3 people have their GTA5, 6, 7, 8, ad nauseum.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion