LAG - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't forget to watch Hamma's webcam!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-02-04, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Miir
Malvision

Re: LAG

Yes... it's more graphic lag (fps) that I'm talking about. Sorry for the confusion.

Back then I had a decent enough system. But throw a couple 100 people on my screen fighting then the game became almost unplayable. They eventually did a patch that implemented animation culling that helped with framerate issues. But large scale combat looked kinda like stop motion animation. Trying to fight like that was sort of goofy.

Last edited by Miir; 2011-02-05 at 12:26 AM.
Old 2011-02-04, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
Yes... it's more graphic lag (fps) that I'm talking about. Sorry for the confusion.

Back then I had a decent enough system. But through a couple 100 people on my screen fighting then the game became almost unplayable. They eventually did a patch that implemented animation culling that helped with framerate issues. But large scale combat looked kinda like stop motion animation. Trying to fight like that was sort of goofy.
I completly agree. But i can also tell you that something like this isnt a problem anymore with todays technology. Especialy if they take the time to optimize properly.

Games these days could go far above 1000 players/bots these days. Limitations these days are netcode and traffic, as well as the servers. Okay, with 1000 guys on the screen you would have to make drastic cuts in the visual quality, but well, back in 2001 you wouldnt be able to do that, because people still cared alot about the graphics. These days, people care less, they rather want good gameplay for Multiplayer games.

I guess its wait and see for PSN. And bloddy me, i cant wait for more.
Old 2011-02-04, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
I completly agree. But i can also tell you that something like this isnt a problem anymore with todays technology. Especialy if they take the time to optimize properly.

Games these days could go far above 1000 players/bots these days. Limitations these days are netcode and traffic, as well as the servers. Okay, with 1000 guys on the screen you would have to make drastic cuts in the visual quality, but well, back in 2001 you wouldnt be able to do that, because people still cared alot about the graphics. These days, people care less, they rather want good gameplay for Multiplayer games.

I guess its wait and see for PSN. And bloddy me, i cant wait for more.
no, sadly there are alot of idiots who still care about graphics.
Old 2011-02-05, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
iviv
Private

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
Yes it's there

Smed
While the tech is there to handle huge battles, how huge are we going to be talking? We used to have 166 people per side per continent, which then dropped to 133, so a max of 399 people per continent. Though I imagine this figure wasn't just picked because of server capacity, but also because if you had 200+ people per side, and they all fought over one base, it would just turn into a huge mess? Plus the pop locks mean fights happen on multiple continents, allowing players a choice in where to fight.

So, now for my question. Any idea how many people will be allowed per continent? And any word on the continent sizes?

Thanks! Looking forward to the game
Old 2011-02-05, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
no, sadly there are alot of idiots who still care about graphics.
Yes. But the industry, as well as most players, understand these days that gameplay is more important. Screw those who want just graphics, they wont stay for a game longer than a week anyway...
Old 2011-02-06, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

While graphics do matter for a lot of people, consider the run away success of minecraft.
Old 2011-02-06, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Tikuto
Major

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
While graphics do matter for a lot of people, consider the run away success of minecraft.
It's a success? Whut? o

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)
Old 2011-02-06, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Miir
Malvision

I Minecraft.

Hasn't it sold like a million copies or something? That's not bad for a game that hasn't been release yet.

Honestly... I'd settle for something with less graphics and better gameplay. I tend to agree graphics are less important to good gameplay now.

But I think regardless of what the graphics look like if they say the game is going to support X amount of players. Then when I start playing and the first battle with X amount of players fighting over a base kills my framerate than the game isn't meeting my expectations.

Last edited by Miir; 2011-02-06 at 11:05 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion