A new Hardcore Mode/Server thread. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: May cause headaches and nausea.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-24, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: A new Hardcore Mode/Server thread.

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Its alot of extra development time to put in something like that i would think, i would not beleive its as simple as changing some TTK numbers, because that would totally change how the game is played(im aware thats the idea) but they're designing the game and the maps to be played a certain way, you alter kill times it will effect the flow of battle, you will see more camping and stalemates.

not to mention, this is an MMO, TTK's of under 1 second are not excactly friendly when you're hosting such a large number of players with varying pings.
I'm tempted to get a bunch of people together in a tower, weaken everyone so they'll die in 1 - 2 MCG bullets, and have them get mowed down in a second or two by one MCG user to prove to people that COD TTK won't work, at this point.
Old 2011-07-24, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
CutterJohn
Colonel

So just straight upping the damage by several hundred % while touching nothing else wouldn't work? Never would have figured that..

Theres a lot of places PS can improve ttks without bringing the bottom end lower. Yeah. HA had a 1s ish ttk at point blank range. And MA had a 20s ttk at 100 yards. One of these things can be greatly improved on without affecting the other.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-07-24 at 09:42 PM.
Old 2011-07-24, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Decreasing TTK's below a certain level devalues skill and values connection and latency. From experience of CoD Hardcore matches dying in 1 shot to nearly every gun means that camping is the only way and latency is king.
Old 2011-07-25, 12:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Senyu
First Lieutenant

The only way I would accept multiple servers is if the other had giant bobble heads, lunar gravity. And people dieing caused them to explode with confettie
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-25, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

This is a silly thread, implying PS2 won't be hardcore, therefore we need a hardcore mode. Apart from that being utterly ridiculous, it splits the community and it splits the dev resources. Lame and unnecessary. This is bad. PS should be the vision of what the devs want it to be and that is it. If you want more hardcore too bad.
Old 2011-07-25, 12:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
SgtMAD
Captain

a lot of these guys never played when the servers were busy and the fights were hardcore and all over the place.

they are going to be in for a huge shock when some of the old outfits return in full force but with all the inter-outfit bullshit already worked out unlike it was in PS where it took some time to find the right ppl that could work together and a lot of outfits never made it past the first month due to these sorts of problems.

this time around outfits will be pulling vehs and going after the enemy immediately at release and not have that large learning curve in the way

I can't wait to see the reaction
Old 2011-07-25, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Negative, for two reasons:

1) It's hard enough to balance and add content to one game, and you'd essentially be developing two at once.

2) The community would eventually shift more to "New" or "Classic," destroying the opposite mode in the process.

-HC13
Old 2011-07-25, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
Negative, for two reasons:

1) It's hard enough to balance and add content to one game, and you'd essentially be developing two at once.
More like 1.1 games, considering literally everything aside from stat files would be identical. Balance is not easy, but its also not a very labor intensive job. There are plenty of quite balanced mods out there that are mostly done by one or two people. Theres several people on this forum I'd feel confident could handle the task of reshaping the combat to a different dynamic.

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
2) The community would eventually shift more to "New" or "Classic," destroying the opposite mode in the process.

-HC13
So.. the community as a whole decides which they prefer, and thats supposed to strike one as a bad thing? That would be awesome.
Old 2011-07-25, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by HtSgtMAD View Post
a lot of these guys never played when the servers were busy and the fights were hardcore and all over the place.

they are going to be in for a huge shock when some of the old outfits return in full force but with all the inter-outfit bullshit already worked out unlike it was in PS where it took some time to find the right ppl that could work together and a lot of outfits never made it past the first month due to these sorts of problems.

this time around outfits will be pulling vehs and going after the enemy immediately at release and not have that large learning curve in the way

I can't wait to see the reaction
When exactly did you consider the servers busy? Just curious. I started in October of 2004 there was good population in my opinion back then. Though I always wondered even if there was good population I missed out on all the true grand fights PS had during its first year of release. If so I am psyched to see it in its glory even if I am WTF.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-25, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Should put this into the idea forum and see what happens.
Old 2011-07-25, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Raymac
Brigadier General

Simply, no. Please.

If PS2 becomes the next WoW with millions of subscribers, then maybe we can start entertaining this idea. Until then, no.
Old 2011-07-25, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
NCLynx
Major

I remember when Runescape did this, the people who wanted to continue playing Runescape Classic got left in the dust. Anything that would split population is a terrible idea. The only thing I can understand splitting population up is where the server is located US West/East Europe etc.
Old 2011-07-25, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
Anything that would split population is a terrible idea.
^^ that
Old 2011-07-25, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Dreamcast
Major

Planetside Community is thin last thing they want is split the community and not get epic battles lol.

Keep Planetside the same, this is WOW with pve or pvp servers, etc.......
Old 2011-07-25, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Miir
Malvision

I hope the combat model is vastly different to the current game. The dev's have already said it will be more fast paced and you'll be able to spawn on your squad outdoors. If it's not easier to kill vehicles and players this time around it would likely unbalance the game. So I favor a more hardcore type gameplay.

I'm not against the idea of having two server types. It would be a solution if there is a demand for the classic PS combat model. I just don't see the classic mode as what the majority of players would want these days.

But like others have said splitting the population (unless we are talking 100K+ players) is not the best course of action.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion