Trailer's Drop Pod Beacon - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If we run you over, it wasn't our falt
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-26, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Deadeye
Sergeant

Trailer's Drop Pod Beacon

The official thread is too crowded with people going back and forth so I thought I'd create a new thread since noone has mentioned it:

What is that? A Drop Pod Beacon that lets dozens or maybe hundreds drop on one point? Is that OP or what?

What do you guys think about having some kind of beacon like that in the game? Would it be too powerful for a single man to deploy?

Personally, I think it would be an awesome thing to have at the end of the command certification tree to encourage people to go into it but I wonder if it would be too OP. Maybe if there was a timer on it or something per soldier (which would explain why they're all hanging out in the HART Dropship waiting for it to deploy). Could it be a hint of a possible ingame item? What do you think about it?
Old 2012-07-26, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Re: Trailer's Drop Pod Beacon

Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
The official thread is too crowded with people going back and forth so I thought I'd create a new thread since noone has mentioned it:

What is that? A Drop Pod Beacon that lets dozens or maybe hundreds drop on one point? Is that OP or what?

What do you guys think about having some kind of beacon like that in the game? Would it be too powerful for a single man to deploy?

Personally, I think it would be an awesome thing to have at the end of the command certification tree to encourage people to go into it but I wonder if it would be too OP. Maybe if there was a timer on it or something per soldier (which would explain why they're all hanging out in the HART Dropship waiting for it to deploy). Could it be a hint of a possible ingame item? What do you think about it?
In the giant insta kill drop pod debate thread someone mentioned Higby talking about no squad spawning unless a drop pod beacon is dropped. The trailer probably has an overly dramatic example of this gameplay. The dude drops a beacon and 20 people drop.

So it's likely to be in game for balance purposes but not quite as dramatic or powerful
Old 2012-07-26, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Dropping a beacon would be a cooler mechanic for squad spawn than a simple timer because it would gaurantee the epicness and effectiveness of everyone coming in at once.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Trip
Corporal

Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post

we also saw about 20 tr get killed from an nc shooting through the roof of what looked like a galaxy. I wouldnt put to much faith behind anything in that trailer being in the actual game. great trailer though.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Originally Posted by Trip View Post
we also saw about 20 tr get killed from an nc shooting through the roof of what looked like a galaxy. I wouldnt put to much faith behind anything in that trailer being in the actual game. great trailer though.
He is just talking about the idea, not that he has faith it would be in because of the trailer. It is possible for people to talk about the things that were in the video without it meaning they believe the video means they will be in.

Twitter | Dragon Wolves

Last edited by Ghryphen; 2012-07-26 at 04:20 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
Dropping a beacon would be a cooler mechanic for squad spawn than a simple timer because it would gaurantee the epicness and effectiveness of everyone coming in at once.
Gone it would not surprise me if the beacon were in purely as a balancing measure to squad spawning. It acts as an early warning system to people on the ground that pods are possibly incoming. It acts as something that can be destroyed to prevent spawning etc etc
Old 2012-07-26, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
BlueSkies
Staff Sergeant

thats going to be a great mechanic...

"alright platoon, go ahead and suicide. I am about to deploy the drop beacon"
Old 2012-07-26, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
thats going to be a great mechanic...

"alright platoon, go ahead and suicide. I am about to deploy the drop beacon"
Well it's theoretically better than having no idea when or where drop pods might come from and being in a state of having to move at all times and pray. Not saying it's something you drop right on enemies just in the area you are fighting.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Hopefully not. Squad spawn on a leader will be max 9 guys and more only if you're in an organised platoon. If you want dozens of guys that's cool but get organised with some galaxies. Certs are going by time served so I really dont want I win buttons in everyones arsenal after 12-18 months. Thankfully theyve said orbital strikes will be unobtainable if you go too far down a shock trooper progression road

Old 2012-07-26, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
BlueSkies
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ruffdog View Post
Thankfully theyve said orbital strikes will be unobtainable if you go too far down a shock trooper progression road
Really? because they've also said there isn't a cap on certs...
Old 2012-07-26, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Firearms
Sergeant

As above, Higby or other has mentioned a beacon which I took to mean BF3 style and that looks to be it. Don't know the mechanics tho....he may have said timer.

Could it be destructable too?

Edit Higby is hubby according to my tablet......he wishes

Last edited by Firearms; 2012-07-26 at 04:26 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Really? because they've also said there isn't a cap on certs...
Blue the devs also said "no one will be able to get all of the certs because their will be so many"

It's a common line from MMO devs that basically means nothing and the players will unlock everything fairly quickly.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Xyntech
Brigadier General

A beacon could be cool.

It would alert enemies that death from above could be on its way.

It would be a target for the enemy to seek and destroy.

It would be an inventory tradeoff choice whether or not you wanted to bring a beacon along.

It would make it easier to rally everyone to spawn into the same area at the same time together, instead of scattershot like we've currently seen with most squad spawners.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
A beacon could be cool.

It would alert enemies that death from above could be on its way.

It would be a target for the enemy to seek and destroy.

It would be an inventory tradeoff choice whether or not you wanted to bring a beacon along.

It would make it easier to rally everyone to spawn into the same area at the same time together, instead of scattershot like we've currently seen with most squad spawners.
I actually hadn't thought of that last point. That's a VERY good point for pickup squads with zerglings
Old 2012-07-26, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Solidblock
Staff Sergeant

The idea of a beacon is just simple and should have been in anyway! It adds a counter to an otherwise powerful mechanic.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion