Thoughts on the homogenezation of vehicles - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The problem with the internet is that it's full of people just like you
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think of Vehicles homogenezation?
I like it! 57 51.82%
I don't like it! 53 48.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-25, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Re: Thoughts on the homogenezation of vehicles

I'm just greedy. I want thousands of fully customisable vehicle types!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-03-25, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Ruwyn
Corporal

The problem I have with it is that If you saw a row of vanguards rolling out you knew that it was capable of and so you could pull either air or a skyguard to defend them. Now it's gonna be "Did they take AA? what should I pull?". You can no longer look at a battlefield and know what is needed relative to Air vehicles. Do I need AA to assist the ground forces or is it safer for me to pull air or a tank.....Now roll the dice!

No lightnings? is that correct?
Old 2012-03-25, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I believe Lightnings are making a comeback too, right? I think they just hadn't finished them.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-03-25, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
I believe Lightnings are making a comeback too, right? I think they just hadn't finished them.
Just not finished. Lightning with AA gun is supposed to take the role of Skyguard.
Old 2012-03-26, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

ITs terrible.

You no longer have to bring the right vehicle to the battle you are entering. As any vehicle can now fill just about any role.

I dont even think this is a Game design issue as to why they are doing it, it believe its a Technical limitation to leave room for purchases (Mem space ).

Also, its so that people from other games, who are accustomed to what ever they are firing at whatever target. IE: No thought, just point shoot, get upset if it didn't die. IE: Those that hated that a sky guards AA did not shred Inf.
Old 2012-03-26, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Knocky
Major

Since we have to pay/wait for resources for each and every vehicle....I am really starting to warm to the concept of bringing a swiss army knife to a gun fight.

We cannot decon the vehicles...we cannot get a refund on resources....

You better hope we get something for our money/time.
Old 2012-03-26, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
We cannot decon the vehicles...[/COLOR][/B].
Who told you that?

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-03-26, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Who told you that?

Higby....but is was about 5-6 months ago in the first set of interviews. So who knows if it is still that way. Paraphrase "no mechanic in place right now for it". That is easy enough to change though. But without any incentive such as hacking vehicles....they probably will not devote any resources to deconning a vehicle that cant be stolen anyway.
Old 2012-03-26, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Furber
First Sergeant

Really what bugs me the most is the lack of cooperation required for using tanks. Skyguard and Vanguard (im just using the NC for this example) both required 2 people to get the job done. It was these sorts of things that encouraged team play, but by making everything possible for 1 person, it sort of leans more towards the one-man-army stuff.

One of the main reasons I loved Planetside was because it strayed away from this typical one-man-army stuff that so many other games are full of. I recognize that there are still going to be Galaxies and Sunderers, but that's really just for troop transportation. When it comes down to ground vehicles brawling it out in the open field, I think it's going to be largely composed of uncoordinated zerglings in their Vanguards and Lightnings.
Old 2012-03-26, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Dir
Private

Originally Posted by Furber View Post
Really what bugs me the most is the lack of cooperation required for using tanks. Skyguard and Vanguard (im just using the NC for this example) both required 2 people to get the job done. It was these sorts of things that encouraged team play, but by making everything possible for 1 person, it sort of leans more towards the one-man-army stuff.

One of the main reasons I loved Planetside was because it strayed away from this typical one-man-army stuff that so many other games are full of. I recognize that there are still going to be Galaxies and Sunderers, but that's really just for troop transportation. When it comes down to ground vehicles brawling it out in the open field, I think it's going to be largely composed of uncoordinated zerglings in their Vanguards and Lightnings.
LOVE the skyguard...the two people inside of it were completely defenceless...all they had was speed and were completely dependent on the armour they were protecting but that required another two people. So you had 4 people minimum protecting each other going back-to-back in a bar against flying bottles and fists alike. That's team work. I hope it returns because I saw nothing at all wrong with it and never heard a complaint in game or in forum about this combination.

Sticking flak cannons on tanks? I dunno...
Old 2012-03-26, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Who told you that?
It was also in the Reddit Q&A

Q: Will Planetside 2 make vehicles/deploy-able assets feel valuable and worth protecting?

A: Vehicles you spawn will cost you personal resources, so you'll definitely want to keep them alive and not just toss them away.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/p...dit-qa-107.htm

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-03-26, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
It was also in the Reddit Q&A
I meant the deconstruction part.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-03-26, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
dsi
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
MBTs are the new Lightnings.

What kind of role are Lightnings going to fill? "I misclicked and pulled this instead of my Vangaurd, oops!"?
Old 2012-03-26, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by dsi View Post

What kind of role are Lightnings going to fill? "I misclicked and pulled this instead of my Vangaurd, oops!"?
You have 120 posts, so I think that you already know what the Lightning will be for.
Old 2012-03-26, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Dir
Private

Originally Posted by dsi View Post

I saw lightnings as just another example of team work when a tech benefit was lost. Instead of 1vs1 if you wanted to stand a chance you had to go 2vs1 or even 3vs1 and that required 1-2 other people to band together with you. The main point is it was clearly visible to friend and foe alike even from a great distance out of the corner of your eye a lone larger tank against 3 smaller lightnings warranted calling in a second tank and it snow balled from there. With hundreds of tanks each having multiple roles it will be more difficult to size up what to bring. In PS1 it was visually easy...there's a buggy, there's a small tank, there's a large tank....it's going to be a nightmare translating intel to the empire and I certainly don't want to see a hundred glowing green and red symbols floating above everyone's vehicle indicating what enhancements they have. Can't wait to start hearing the inventive acronyms that the new multipurpose chassis are going to create.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion