Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2012-06-17, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Re: UNSC VS Terran Republic

Originally Posted by Elude View Post
Modern day military is more advanced than a lot of sci fi shooters because unlike games the military isn't trying to balance shit out between it's enemy, nor is it trying to be fun and interesting.

I imagine space battles in the future to be rather boring with factions using weapons at such ridiculous distances that you could never see the conflict with the naked eye.
I can imagine that in 2500 if the covenant were real we would just pinpoint high charity and pow covenant gone
Old 2012-06-17, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The Cybrans win.

Old 2012-06-17, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
The Cybrans win.
Who what now?
Old 2012-06-18, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Arcticus
Corporal

The United Nations is currently involved in a 62 year old war in which one of the first generals for the UN was advocating using nuclear weapons against the enemy.

That general got pulled away from the war by his nation's commander in chief.

But when push comes to shove, even without respawning, the UN may have access to a larger arsenal. If the UN is about to lose an 8km x 8km continent and tactics dictate, it can leave it a cinder.
Old 2012-06-18, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

The UNSC will win, because you gave them 300 space fighters... The TR won't even get near the planet.

If they do make it into the atmosphere, the UNSC will have shit for air power since that's basically all you gave them besides a ton of pelicans as far as aircraft (and I somehow doubt the Longsword will work as well as a dedicated atmospheric plane in atmosphere; of course they'll probably also not work as well in space as a dedicated space fighter, but you don't seem to have given the TR any of those). So they'd better hope they can shoot everything down in space.

Spartan III's don't have shields, either, unless they've been specially equipped with MJOLNIR armor (like Noble Team), and none of the other UNSC units (besides vehicles?) would have shields either.

The TR has shields, however, which is another reason for the UNSC to hope they take everything out in space.

If you assume they magically both start with their full forces on the planets, the UNSC should probably load up whatever they can and flee to space, as the TR cannot follow them with their vehicles or aircraft.
Old 2012-06-18, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Alright, nerd-talk. "Super soldiers" is a retarded concept in sci-fi. The master chief guys from Halo, the space marines from Warhammer, etc etc, they're idiotic concepts. The reason they're idiotic is because even modern ordnance is so powerful and precise that we could drop a bomb on any of these jokers with enough force to turn them into soup, even if their fancy sci-fi armor magically can withstand hundreds of pounds of high explosives or whatever. A bunch of master chiefs fucking around on a battlefield would be turned to dust by artillery or by air support.

So arguing from a position of whose dumb super soldiers are better is a non-starter, because super soldiers only win when they're wearing Protagonist Armor and are fighting an enemy which is dumb and militarily incompetent.

That said, what're the specs for all the armor and weapons? What are the training standards for the soldiers? There are too many questions that have no answer and kind of kill the comparison outright. What if the Auraxis alien tech/materials creates Terran armor so durable that UNSC guns can't even penetrate it?

Oh okay I'll be less of a debbie downer. Terrans win because 2000 soldiers is a lot, ODST are just fucktards with somewhat better training but are otherwise regular jackoffs who'd only be somewhat better than a typical soldier, spartans would all die to liberator bombardment if not sheer volume of fire from the 1900 soldiers left after mowing down the ODST guys, and actual air-to-air fighters beat dumb dropships and whatever crap.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-06-18 at 01:14 PM.
Old 2012-06-18, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
TR obviously they'd just keep respawning
/thread

Seriously. Spartans die. Unless they're someone's Mary Sue or the Master Chief, they don't come back.
Old 2012-06-18, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
The UNSC will win, because you gave them 300 space fighters... The TR won't even get near the planet.

If they do make it into the atmosphere, the UNSC will have shit for air power since that's basically all you gave them besides a ton of pelicans as far as aircraft (and I somehow doubt the Longsword will work as well as a dedicated atmospheric plane in atmosphere; of course they'll probably also not work as well in space as a dedicated space fighter, but you don't seem to have given the TR any of those). So they'd better hope they can shoot everything down in space.

Spartan III's don't have shields, either, unless they've been specially equipped with MJOLNIR armor (like Noble Team), and none of the other UNSC units (besides vehicles?) would have shields either.

The TR has shields, however, which is another reason for the UNSC to hope they take everything out in space.

If you assume they magically both start with their full forces on the planets, the UNSC should probably load up whatever they can and flee to space, as the TR cannot follow them with their vehicles or aircraft.
No space. And longswords were deployed as air superiority fighters at harvest
Old 2012-06-18, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post

Longswords have no frigate support.

Yeah the spartans are wearing SPI

With what? Read the OP, its on the continent.

just some addons.
Old 2012-06-19, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
"Super soldiers" is a retarded concept in sci-fi. The master chief guys from Halo, the space marines from Warhammer, etc etc, they're idiotic concepts. The reason they're idiotic is because even modern ordnance is so powerful and precise that we could drop a bomb on any of these jokers with enough force to turn them into soup, even if their fancy sci-fi armor magically can withstand hundreds of pounds of high explosives or whatever. A bunch of master chiefs fucking around on a battlefield would be turned to dust by artillery or by air support.
I think the point of master chief, space marines etc is their very high IQ and quick reaction times. I bet if the real master chief ever played halo he would pass the legendary mode in a single run.

A good example is some Allies who entered Omaha beach and managed to survive from there to the end of the war. There are such people, and they aren't even snipers, I'm sure of it. So super soldiers potentially exist, but it's not their armor that makes 'em cool.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-19, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I think the point of master chief, space marines etc is their very high IQ and quick reaction times. I bet if the real master chief ever played halo he would pass the legendary mode in a single run.

A good example is some Allies who entered Omaha beach and managed to survive from there to the end of the war. There are such people, and they aren't even snipers, I'm sure of it. So super soldiers potentially exist, but it's not their armor that makes 'em cool.
Terran ftw
Old 2012-06-19, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
The Cybrans win.
Oddly enough that was one of my first thoughts too.

Soul Rippers and Monkey Lords FTW.

The Scathis can shove off though, I'll take the UEF's Mavor. Love me that artillery.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
Oddly enough that was one of my first thoughts too.

Soul Rippers and Monkey Lords FTW.

The Scathis can shove off though, I'll take the UEF's Mavor. Love me that artillery.
How about donkey kong?
Old 2012-06-20, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
My money would be on the Eldar. Nothing says lov'n like a cannon that shoots tears in reality. Not to mention their precognitive abilities and penchant for manipulation.
Yeah, wherever they went, the total destruction of everything around them is pretty much guaranteed. The Eldar themselves wouldn't even need to fight a foe, just sit back and be evil enough amongst themselves to cause the manifestation of scenery-chewing Cthulhoids.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-06-20 at 02:36 PM.
Old 2012-06-20, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
Yeah, wherever they went, the total destruction of everything around them is pretty much guaranteed. The Eldar themselves wouldn't even need to fight a foe, just sit back and be evil enough amongst themselves to cause the manifestation of scenery-chewing Cthulhoids.
Back on the original topic please!
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge