Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2011-02-21, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

APB Beta Fail

Check this out:
http://apbreloaded.blogspot.com/
First and foremost we want to be clear that Beta Application Keys guarantees that you will have a chance to APPLY for access to the APB Reloaded Closed Beta, regardless of how you received your key (from us, through one of our media partners like IGN or from fan sites, since we will be handing out application keys in the next few days to select partner sites as well).
So the application you have on their site only grants you the possibility to get a "Key" which then allows you to apply to beta where you may or may not get a "Key" to actually beta the game..

Then there is this gem:
NO - we will NOT have any of your original payment data on our side, and therefore you also will have no RTW points or cash-equivalent credits. We simply have no information about anything you bought via EA, Digital River nor Steam. So we will have no idea what you did or did not purchase back during the original run of the game. No point in asking us. We simply don't know. If you tell us you spent a bizillion dollars we might feel really sorry for you. And the best sad story might very well win you some sympathy and recognition from our development team. But we simply don't have the data (nor the money) from whatever happened back then. Remember, that company simply does not exist any longer. I know I am going to have to repeat this information many times
This means that people who PAID for the game the first time don't get into beta at all. Which means they will likley be required to BUY the game again (if they so choose..)

As if this game wasn't enough of a clusterfuck already these guys are doing an awesome job of making it fail again.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-02-21, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: APB Beta Fail

There's got to be laws against this kind of crap. Did these guys get stuck inside a dot com bubble time warp and haven't realised it's burst? Sounds just like something those start-ups would have done.
Old 2011-02-22, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Arcka
Private

While what happened with this game the first time around does suck (yes - I bought it), I don't think it's fair to blame the new developer for anything more than having a slightly unusual beta application process. They'll bear some responsibility for how their version of the game turns out but it is a different company. Just like Gearbox can't be blamed for all the bullshit concerning DNF which 3D Realms spread around for years.

Regarding the beta application process, it seems to me that there is only one "key"; which would be associated with your account to complete the application. If you're accepted, they probably just activate your account with no additional keys needed.

As for those of us who paid for the game previously...
It looks like their current games don't require purchase, and are just 'download and play'. I hope APB will take that direction also. It'd be good for server population.

With the game hopefully being completely free to play, they can focus on a beta for actual testing purposes and not trial purposes.

That blog post could have been written a bit better tho. It seems that their company is based in Irvine, but is anyone sure that English is these guys' first language?..

Arcka (TR Emerald)
Old 2011-02-23, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Irvine, CA? California's official languages are Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin), Korean, and Japanese.

English is reserved for the small print.

Old 2011-02-25, 05:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Canaris
Contributor
General

Can't really blame a company for the mistakes of RTW
I'm not to worried about APB coming back, before PSN was announced I was happy to hear another publisher took up the game, I liked the potential the game had and it was coming back I was lined up to be involved but after Mr Smedlys bomb shell, we'll have better

Last edited by Canaris; 2011-02-25 at 09:34 AM. Reason: typos
Old 2011-02-26, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

hah.

So I go to fill out the beta application and it asks me questions like who is my cell phone provider, who is my favorite payment provider.

None of that BS is at all relevant to a beta application for an online video game.

Hell they even have an NDA in place for a game that was ALREADY OUT ONCE. WTF?

I'm chalking this one up as fail #2

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-02-26 at 02:25 PM.
Old 2011-02-26, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
hah.

So I go to fill out the beta application and it asks me questions like who is my cell phone provider, who is my favorite payment provider.

None of that BS is at all relevant to a beta application for an online video game.

Hell they even have an NDA in place for a game that was ALREADY OUT ONCE. WTF?

I'm chalking this one up as fail #2
But if you already knew it was fail... and you started signing up for it anyway... doesn't that mean that you fail too?
Old 2011-02-26, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Canaris
Contributor
General

I didn't even fill out the form
Old 2011-02-26, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Hamma
PSU Admin

Well I got invited and looked at the form..

Old 2011-03-06, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

APB reloaded was a really big letdown. With a few tweeks this game can be nasty(in a good way). lets just hope the new dev steps closer in the right direction, not further. I thought about buying the game on release, i was glad i passed on that one
Old 2011-03-06, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

You talking about the beta of the new game?

Old 2011-03-08, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Arcka
Private

Tho I haven't had the chance to play the closed beta yet (too busy in Rift, heh) there was something interesting on their dev blog:
One thing to keep in mind with APB Reloaded is that there can be as many as 100 players engaged in a single thread. For comparison, most other FPS games don't permit more than 16 v 16 or in some cases 32 v 32. In theory we could actually turn on 50 v 50 in APB in all-out war mode (which is essentially what Chaos mode is) and for future hardware upgrades go even higher in a single district and still maintain good FPS style performance.
It isn't PS level battle numbers, but it isn't bad either.
Old 2011-03-08, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

hamma, what I meant was, release 1 was a big letdown, lets hope that release 2 with the new devs goes better. (i havent followed the press on reloaded so im not sure where it is going)
Old 2011-03-08, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

ah ok. Yea I had a sub to it during its first iteration and it needed a ton of work. The progression and huge advantages older players had was a major turnoff.

I hope they can improve the game in that regard, it looks like they are doing some nice things with the driving mechanics also.

Old 2011-03-08, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

The 3 major problems I saw were heavy gun imba, bad driving mechanics and bad mission structure (repetitive, broken, and uninspired)

Fix all of those and add an anti-greifing thing and they are good to go

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion