WMD in the game, what do you think? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Cloudy with a chance of Vanu.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like to see WMD's in Planetside 2?
Yes, please! Low cooldown and multiple strikes/launches at once 1 0.93%
Yes but with high cooldown, certificates, etc and a large area will get affected 24 22.43%
Yes, but only if there will be a democratical vote over the affected area 7 6.54%
No, WMD would be game breaking to me! 67 62.62%
I don't care 8 7.48%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-06, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Re: WMD in the game, what do you think?

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
I think a compromise could be found in super units. Something an outfit could pull once every couple months with enough resources and could be manned by 8-10 people. I wouldn't say a BFR but something like an outfit battleship or super galaxy.

It might be a death machine, and be hard to kill, but at least you can shoot back at it. And with 30-40 people shooting back at it, it wouldn't be so OP.

There have been discussions before on how to implement these to where they don't repeat OS behavior or BFR behavior.
Yeah I remember some earlier discussions about outfit airships or massive ground tanks that would be very rare/expensive, and maybe take a squad or two to operate.

I agree with you that something like that could add some really unique fights to Planetside (as if it wasn't unique enough already, haha), and it does make sense that being able to use tactics and skill against it rather than just being nuked would probably be more interesting to most players.
Old 2012-05-06, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
DayOne
Captain

I wouldn't mind some orbital strikes but with an extended area that also EMP'd? Even friendlies. All damage done to friendlies and friendlies EMP'd would count as grief points.

This means they would have to be use sparingly.

Also they should be disallowed near buildings due to the "massive structural damage" they would cause as your empire wants those bases. Sanctuaries within bubbles are, of course, invulnerable.

Last edited by DayOne; 2012-05-06 at 10:55 AM.
Old 2012-05-06, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Kipper
Captain

I don't mind if its rare and you get ample opportunity to get out of the way.

Artillery/OS shouldn't be about guaranteed kills, it should be about surpression - a screen to advance / retreat / regroup under.

That also makes it more of a teamplay tactic than a weapon.
Old 2012-05-06, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

It will have to be an outfit type item that only founder/leader and certian officers can use. Also it must have a decient timer and tactical prerequesite in order to use. I can see say a superweapon stoping an anoying Tower of Death on a contenant that the loosers just need to leave and let the victors invade a diffrent cont.
Old 2012-05-06, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

WMDs have no place in a perpetual war.

PS1 Orbital Strikes were not WMDs.

Old 2012-05-06, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
CutterJohn
Colonel

The only possible area I could agree to these being in game is if they were just a dev tool used during special events.

Sure, the tactical nukes were cool in Crysis, but nuking the base was how you ended the round. It was the entire point of the match. PS has no use for it other than killing a lot of people easily, and players have no need of the ability to kill a lot of people easily.
Old 2012-05-06, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
WMDs have no place in a perpetual war.

PS1 Orbital Strikes were not WMDs.

yeah, not WMD's at all.
Old 2012-05-06, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
NCLynx
Major

In a confined space, of course it's going to get a lot of kills. Does that mean shots fired from a vanguard should have a cooldown as well? I've seen one shot kill 15 soldiers all huddled around the back door one time.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-06, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
In a confined space, of course it's going to get a lot of kills. Does that mean shots fired from a vanguard should have a cooldown as well? I've seen one shot kill 15 soldiers all huddled around the back door one time.
You can do something about a vanguard. You can't do shit about a cloaker OS'ing.
Old 2012-05-06, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
NCLynx
Major

You can do something about a vanguard. You can't do shit about a cloaker OS'ing.
OSing was fine back in 03-04. If you mean how many can simply shoot off an OS nowadays yea it's insane overkill. Back in the beginning though, they were use pretty sparingly and for more strategic things. Not to see how many kills you could get in one go.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-06, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
OSing was fine back in 03-04. If you mean how many can simply shoot off an OS nowadays yea it's insane overkill. Back in the beginning though, they were use pretty sparingly and for more strategic things. Not to see how many kills you could get in one go.
I think that is more nostalgia speaking then actual reality. And 03-04 was only the first year that PS launched. As such OS's were only usable by people that grinded their way to CR5 ASAP.

The fact is, is that WMD's get you lots of kills. As such it will always be sought after for doing so, by as many people that want lots of kills, which is damned near every player.

If you limit the amount of OS's to each outfit. Players will just make their own outfits. Same goes for many other methods of doing it. It's easier and more fun to just not have them in the game.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-05-06 at 01:34 PM.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Orbital Strikes are still not WMDs.

Old 2012-05-06, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Orbital Strikes are still not WMDs.
Denial. OS's got more kills than anything else in game could at one time. I don't have a rifle that could get 40 kills in one shot, nor a tank, nor a bomber, nor a flail.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-05-06 at 01:56 PM.
Old 2012-05-06, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Denial. OS's got more kills than anything else in game could at one time. I don't have a rifle that could get 40 kills in one shot, nor a tank, nor a bomber, nor a flail.
Although a bombing run on a packed bridge can be pretty tasty.

Old 2012-05-06, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Duncan
Private

If ever there was a cautionary tale against this sort of thing, it's Modern Warfare 3. Out of curiosity I was playing during the free weekend that just happened on Steam, and not having played the COD franchise since the original title, I was shocked at how constantly I was being assailed by unblockable missiles raining down from the sky. There's even a nuclear bomb that just kills the entire remaining team to reward you for getting a certain length of killstreak. It's a weird sort of "punish-the-losers" mentality that I found pretty disturbing.

Granted, the OS in Planetside had its tactical use and wasn't nearly as heinous, but given the choice between having that sort of thing or not, I lean towards leaving it out.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion