Making Air Power more practical in PS - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The sigbot will be coming by shortly, please assume the position.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-10-06, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Making Air Power more practical in PS

Well I was talking to Lartnev in IRC and this whole idea was formed in my mind in a few minutes. I dub it one of the best ideas I have ever come up with.

Ok so .... one new vehicle will be added and one new base type.

The vehicle would be the Inteceptor class aircraft. It does not have the ability to hover and flys at around 150 - 175 kts with no AB. It carries 2 - 4 Air to Air Missles. These missles have difficulty hitting a fast moving or turning target (I.E. A mossy or a reaver that is on the move and evading). They are designed to take down Liberators, galaxies, and lodestars. It also is armed with a 25mm cannon like the liberators tail gun that is mounted center line. They have to be spawned at an Air Control Center and can only be rearmed and repaired there since they can only land there.

The base is obviously an Air Control Center. It is biult into the side of a hill and is mostly underground. It has a few scattered flack style turrets and a tower like structure over the main door with 4 Phalnax turrets. The hangar is underground and is opened out into the side of the hill (think of the rebel base from starwars) and the tower is the only visible part of the base from above. To get inside the base you have to first take the tower CC which opens the door into the base. Now its a normal attack. The inside of the base should be relativly easy to take... not many internal defensive measures. Its all about the tower upstairs. The base has 2 Air Terminals for spawning reavers mossys or libs (you need no techplant for these) and 2 Air Launch Pads for Intys.

To land an inty you simply fly it into the hangar and hit g. You can now rearm and repair... you can also do the new addition of refueling your aircraft here. This is the big change to the way aircraft would work in PS. If you have ever opened the trunk of your aircraft you know there is alot of dead space between the edge of the trunk and the ammo. In that dead space goes fuel cells. Every type of aircraft use fuel cells at a diffrent rate. If you run out of gas you crash... plane and simple. There are two ways to get more gas... return to the air control center and refuel at the rearm/ repair pads there (these work without a gal center) or you can go to a linked base from an ACC and refuel there if you have a hover type aircraft. YOU CANNOT REFUEL AT TOWERS. You can carry fuel in your backpack too.

Just some extra info: ACC's are at the edges of a continent, they are normaly a 2nd base that could be caped. There are two per small continent (solsar) and 3 per big one (Cyssor).
Old 2004-10-06, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I don't think any kind of minimum speed vehicle will work in PS. The game was clearly designed to stay away from that theme.

Old 2004-10-06, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I want a more complex flight engine, but one thats also rewarding. the reaver feels like a horvering crate.
Old 2004-10-06, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

hmm, i like as far as the base/new plane goes, but fuel worries me a bit, how much fly tie do you get out of a full load, 2 min is not very much, and 10 min is probalby to little to impact, as if you run out of fuel after 5 min you can spawn a new one right away. And there is a very good chance you'd get shot down by then

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-10-06, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The problem with fuel is that it makes no sense to only do it on one vehicle.

I think all vehicles should have to operate on energy cells, but for me it would be all or none.

Also the PS world isn't big enough for anything faster than a Mosquito.

Old 2004-10-06, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Yes just getting a new reaver is the only problem I see with this. I would say after 5 minutes and bump the timer up to 10. That way you cant JUST get a new one. You have to refuel once. The timers in the game need adjustment... alot of it.
Old 2004-10-06, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I also think that before any more shit is stuffed into PS, vehicles as they are need a big overhaul.

Reavers should be finished instead of remaining the spammachine it is currently. Transports also need to be rethought since there is almost no reason to use them.

Imagine if there was an LLU that could only be moved on a Galaxy.

Old 2004-10-06, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Sobekeus
I also think that before any more shit is stuffed into PS, vehicles as they are need a big overhaul.

Reavers should be finished instead of remaining the spammachine it is currently. Transports also need to be rethought since there is almost no reason to use them.

Imagine if there was an LLU that could only be moved on a Galaxy.
i agree reavers need less slash a faster rocket more AV and far less AI

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-10-06, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Only problem I can recall in a dev comment about vehicles that fast is you will get a warping effect while flying. For those of you that fly, imagine the powerslide, only 100x worse.

Still, sounds good in theory, and would be kinda cool to have a superiority aircraft like that.
Old 2004-10-06, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Mossys regularly fly at 300kph .... having something that does 150 and is the size of a lib wouldnt be much of a problem.
Old 2004-10-06, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
TheN00b
Colonel

Peacemaker, a Mosquito's top normal speed is 125, and afterburner only adds ~100, in addition to the fact that it has to recharge. So how you go 300, I have no clue.
Old 2004-10-06, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Go ahead and look... it tops out at 300
Old 2004-10-06, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

reaver caps at 250ish skeeter at 300ish

Old 2004-10-06, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
TheN00b
Colonel

Originally Posted by Peacemaker
Go ahead and look... it tops out at 300
Wurd... I guess I dropped my subscription a month ago, but I could have sworn it only went up to 250 or so...
Old 2004-10-06, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Still, powersliding occurs with a not- afterburning reaver, and I could see with something going faster than a skeedo while dogfighting, that powerslide/ actual warping might become a more common occurance just as it did with a fast moving surgile.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion