Unlock all certs? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: quotes have a 3% success rate!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2012-06-30, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Haro
Master Sergeant

Unlock all certs?

After playing a few nights, I've been wondering if it would be possible/beneficial to give everyone the option to spec for all certs, regardless of BR. Since everyone seems to think that this could be Planetside's last month, and most people are just coming back and everyone is pretty disorganized, I think it would be good to give everyone a chance to experience everything without going through the whole cert process, and it could also make up for shortages of transports or support vehicles. I think the only problem could be bfrs, though they certainly don't seem as powerful as they used to be. So, what do you think?

I must confess, part of this comes from my disgust with the cert system. Maybe I liked it I'm the past, I don't know, but I hate it now and cannot wait for PS2 classes.
Old 2012-06-30, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MooK
Staff Sergeant

Re: Unlock all certs?

No.

The point is that you have to specialize, not that you can be a super soldier. Even with the last few possible moments of PlanetSide, it just wouldn't be right.
Old 2012-06-30, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The timer should either be changed to an hour or you get to forget all with the current timer.

Old 2012-06-30, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Resolve
Corporal

i wish they would unlock all certs just for planetside day.
Old 2012-06-30, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Haro
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by MooK View Post
No.

The point is that you have to specialize, not that you can be a super soldier. Even with the last few possible moments of PlanetSide, it just wouldn't be right.
Except that if you are BR40, you can do anything because you can get every cert in the game. That may violate the original spirit of the game, perhaps, but it's in there, it's precedence. And just because it's been part of the game, doesn't mean it's a good feature or a well designed mechanic. Bugs and bad netcode are also long companions of any planetside player, and yet I don't think anyone would mind removing them.

Besides, it's not like you can carry everything and do everything at once. A rexo/HA/AV cannot drive a tank or plane, and an agile pilot won't be able to make the most of his HA weapons. It's really no different than the class system coming in PS2, a system that has worked fine for plenty of games.

I do like the ideas of redoing the re-certification process.. One particularly frustrating point is that I can't really do a whole lot of cert changing. At the moment, I'd love to recert into Unimax, but I'd need at least 3 cert forgetting periods to get to that. Forgetting everything at once every time would probably be ideal, given that such a long timer is in place. I like that a lot more than being able to forget only one at a time, even on a shorter timer, because that's really impractical especially when some certs require 6 points while others only have 1.

What I'm trying to get at is that, in my opinion, the cert system is more frustrating than beneficial, and has more problems than benefits. I'm glad we're getting rid of it in PS2, but I seriously think that it should be rethought in PS1, because it is just that frustrating, especially for people coming back. It punishes you if you happen to chose certs you eventually regret, it leaves little incentive for experimenting with new mechanics (for the aforementioned reason) and it really makes you suffer if you don't have a group to accommodate for your flaws. These weaknesses aren't as obvious for people who have been in the game in a while, or if you have a good outfit that you fit well into with your skill set, but for the people who are just coming in, who may not have played in years and probably don't have an outfit, it's a horrible system.

Last edited by Haro; 2012-06-30 at 03:05 PM.
Old 2012-07-01, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
jollytraveller
Private

BR40's have invested a lot of time (and money) in getting where they are. Granted, I don't agree with it, but to then simply give all certs to all people regardless of whether they've played 9 years or 9 minutes is rather a slap in the face to those that have worked hard to get where they are.

Terrible, terrible idea.

Last edited by jollytraveller; 2012-07-01 at 07:01 AM.
Old 2012-07-02, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Dubious
Sergeant

No, but reduce the timer on recert, maybe evn remove the timer..
Old 2012-07-02, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by jollytraveller View Post
BR40's have invested a lot of time (and money) in getting where they are. Granted, I don't agree with it, but to then simply give all certs to all people regardless of whether they've played 9 years or 9 minutes is rather a slap in the face to those that have worked hard to get where they are.

Terrible, terrible idea.
This is exactly how I feel. I may not agree with it, I may not like it but those people who are BR40 or close to it have been the ones keeping this game limping along for the last couple years, don't slap them in the face.

Besides it is bad enough that we have as many as we do with that many certs don't want more, with the pops back to the way they should be reducing certs should be the way to go.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion