Systems: Dynamic Weather & Objectives - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Is l337 in the Dictionary?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.14 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-15, 03:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tikuto
Major

Dynamic Weather & Objectives

Dynamic Simulated Weather System & Planet-wide Objectives
(Sandbox style)

Yup. SOE needs some geologists and a weatherman. Professional highest world-advanced type of people and technology. Get those and make it happen.

Considerations to how it would work ...
PS2 will have different continents with different climates but how is the alien world of Auraxis making this happen?
While PS2 may have different continents with different climates, how are those current affect the world's weather system?
What I'm saying is ... let it be a true real-like simulation of an alien world - of Auraxis. I always enjoyed just watching how it worked in P1.
Territorial control could affect the planet's climate as well as weapons of mass destruction.

Permanently changing the world's weather
By a constant 'eco-friendly war' on this planet, the use of devastating weaponry that affects the planet could affect everyone (weather Sandbox feature affecting players) whilst also displeasing your Empire's command as well as other Empire's: generally upsetting every inhabitant of Auraxis.
  • eco-friendly weaponry (readily-available)
  • eco-unfriendly weaponry (requires authorization?)
eco-unfriendly: Great power. Great responsibility. Great consequences.
Great solutions? (Terraforming facilities - skirmish gameplay).

Standing objective
Keep the terraforming plants active or face the consequences.

Each empire would visibly see a gauge of the alien planet's condition. All terraformers(+), eco-unfriendly weaponry(-) and resource extraction(-) affects this meter positively and negatively.
  • As this meter reduces to 'inhabitable' the priority and rewards for constructing and protecting Terraforming plants are high. Consequence would be consciously acknowledging the need to sacrifice some land to save the planet.
  • As the meter reduces from 'inhabitable' to 'inhospitable' all Empires work against each other to save Auraxis. Consequences of 'inhospitable' would be abandoning 90% of your Empires territory for the sake of saving the planet.
  • If an empire is failing they can purge the world by deciding to target terraforming plants, which in return will gradually destroy Auraxis because of eternal war and sending the weather system crazy.
    • The empire which does this is of course totally fucking insane affecting themselves and eveyr other empire.

Objectives shift
SAVE OUR ALIEN PLANET!
Ultimately, it'd be the players shaping the weather from stable to unstable, which soon would become a world-wide problem (shifting Empire objectives).
  • Instead of all three empires utilizing resources, they'd deny the use of them.
  • Instead of taking over territory, empires would neutralize them and place empire-controlled terraforming facilities (shifting empires back to their player-chosen relatively small consolidated home land).
  • Once this 'eco event' begins empires will notice they're losing resources, territory(neutralized land) and tech instead of gaining. Essentially reseting the game.
  • Empire eco-unfriendly tech is high priority target to save world and their empire; their selves.
After a week of this different gameplay i guess Auraxis would have quickly become a safer atmosphere again shown by a reset of the weather system. A very long event lasting days (depending speed of all players neutralizing the planet) of something different.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-07-15 at 03:50 AM.
Old 2011-07-15, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Dynamic Weather & Objectives

Interesting but ultimately seems a little too complicated for Planetside. Not sure how much this would add to gameplay.
Old 2011-07-15, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Essentially reseting the game.
and take away the persistance?
Old 2011-07-16, 02:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Tikuto
Major

Originally Posted by krnasaur View Post
and take away the persistance?
No way. It's like a persistent war to save this alien world. Instead of things moving forwards it's moving backwards and starts over. At the end you'll see that "oh. game reset". Either way there'd be the same joy of battle.

Of course these would be extremely rare, I'd expect.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-07-16 at 02:54 AM.
Old 2011-07-16, 03:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
No way. It's like a persistent war to save this alien world. Instead of things moving forwards it's moving backwards and starts over. At the end you'll see that "oh. game reset". Either way there'd be the same joy of battle.

Of course these would be extremely rare, I'd expect.
Resetting the game is a bad idea, no matter which flavor you put on it.

turning a war game into a greenpeace tree hugging bullshit? no thank you.
Old 2011-07-16, 04:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Tikuto
Major

Well disregarding the climate-based objectives to save the world,

the idea of the weather being simulated and changing because of players is still something attractive, isn't it? :P
Old 2011-07-17, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
Well disregarding the climate-based objectives to save the world,

the idea of the weather being simulated and changing because of players is still something attractive, isn't it? :P
Not really, but being able to predict automated weather would be kinda cool and give empires an edge if they pay attention to the isobars.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault