Improvement: Scythe Redesign - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All your balls are belong to us.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-23, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sirisian
Colonel

Scythe Redesign

I personally do not like the direction the VS style has taken. To bring it back in line with the TR and NC designs with a more reserved technical side I'm proposing a visual change.

I'm not an artist so I just moved things around into the basic shape I'd prefer. Not sure if anyone is familiar with Stargate X-302? Basically I'm going with that dropped wing shape, but shorter to have a similar profile as the other fighters. I've also added a more classic tail design since I was not a fan of the original one.

I still kept the flat design and removed the giant top part which I don't think fit. I've kept the overlapping armor design though.

The only problem I see is it somewhat looks like a fish. This might need to be fixed by creating more detailed carvings into the top and sides. I'm not artistic enough to create those though.

Before (right click -> view image for full-size)

After

Any comments?
Old 2012-06-23, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Notturno
Private

Re: Scythe Redesign

First off, you are a total baller at Photoshop.

I like the improvements you made to it, particularly the addition of the tail. I think one of the big things that makes the Scythe looks weird is the fact that it's so... front heavy. The arm attachments and the lack of tail give it this funky shape that make it look like it isn't properly balanced. Essentially, I feel like it ruins the illusion of it actually being a flying aircraft. At the same time, I see why they did it as it flies more like a UFO than an actual plane.

However, one thing that I think is missing from your design are those front "scythe" like arms. That's where the name comes from I would imagine, and removing such an iconic aspect of the aircraft seems like it compromises the integrity of its name. I'm not sure how different it would look if you added the scythe-shaped arms back on to your new design, or if you had slightly less exaggerated ones. Hell, is it even possible to flip the scythes so they aim back instead of forward?

Just a few ideas. Either way, that's an awesome design you made.
Old 2012-06-23, 01:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zekeen
Major

Quickly! Before you get murdered by the Scythe fans - redo the idea into a Scythe style support craft, as new aircraft!

Looks awesome btw.
Old 2012-06-23, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Cufox
Private

I really like your change. I don't mind the design they went with except how it looks from behind. Something about the way the main engines are arranged turns me off.
Old 2012-06-23, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Cuross
Master Sergeant

You don't like the Scythe design?! Hrgwatnopossiblehowcouldyou?

Haha onto the topic, I really enjoy the Scythe design. Sure it took me a couple times of staring at it to get used to it, but I feel it embodies the name and captures the VS very well. Actually I sort of see it as a declaration of technological superiority, "Hey, we don't need wings or stabilizers or even thrusters in a sense to fly". Personally, the only redesign I'd like to see is making more use of the "scythes", give them more purpose because I feel like they're just there and the potential they have is so much more.

Your redesign actually took me back to thinking of the Mosquito, which I will miss flying a lot, but maybe if they develop some sort of strafing aircraft your redesign sounds better, smaller profile, looks faster. Good job on the design, by the way
Old 2012-06-23, 02:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Purple
Sergeant Major

but how would you stab people with the redesign?
Old 2012-06-23, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

I am also truly amazed at your photoshop.

But the old design looks WAYY more menacing than the new idea just saying.
Old 2012-06-23, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Khrakhan
Corporal

I love it how it is. Your version just looks too much like the other two factions. The whole generic jet/helicopter hybrid lookin thing.

And plus, as someone else stated, how do you stab ppl with your version?

I know it wont be possible in game but I just find it hilarious imagining a scythe flying into a galaxy and just gettin stuck, and then wigglin and thrusting every which way trying to pull itself out :P

The old design also has the more futuristic/alien look to it, not to mention being badass in style. The jet/helicopter hybrids used by other two factions just seem too clunky/blocky to me.
Old 2012-06-23, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Dagron
Captain

I like how the VS stuff is so alien and artsy, so i prefer the way it is now.

It adds some flavor to the stuff we're shooting down...

UFO ftw, the other one seems too normal.

Edit: usually i'm the guy against weird equipment full of spikes and skulls, but so far the VS hasn't overdone it imo.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-23 at 12:21 PM.
Old 2012-06-23, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

I'm not particularly fond of the cylon inspired design. Its looks TOO alien and out of place imo. However your redesign is a bit wimpy looking...like the mosquito. I'd rather have an out of place but mean looking fighter.
Old 2012-06-23, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Knotz
Sergeant

the only part of the scythe that I don't like as it is right now is the back. Those bulky engines don't really suit the sleek scythey kind of design.... but they're also a bigger target for my Mosquito so who cares :P
Old 2012-06-23, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Fek
Private

Awesome photoshop, but I prefer the UFO style.
Old 2012-06-23, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I personally do not like the direction the VS style has taken. To bring it back in line with the TR and NC designs with a more reserved technical side I'm proposing a visual change.

I'm not an artist so I just moved things around into the basic shape I'd prefer. Not sure if anyone is familiar with Stargate X-302? Basically I'm going with that dropped wing shape, but shorter to have a similar profile as the other fighters. I've also added a more classic tail design since I was not a fan of the original one.

I still kept the flat design and removed the giant top part which I don't think fit. I've kept the overlapping armor design though.

The only problem I see is it somewhat looks like a fish. This might need to be fixed by creating more detailed carvings into the top and sides. I'm not artistic enough to create those though.

Before (right click -> view image for full-size)

After

Any comments?
Turning a Scythe into a pink (yeah I know it's purple) Mossie rip-off? Why? I doubt our alien-worshiping friend's would be happy.

Also it would be silly to still call it the Scythe...

edit: Nice work with PS though.

edit2: those side-wings in the back remind me of moth antennae.

[IMG]http://www.soils.wisc.edu/uwex_agwx/images/*****.jpg?1338922657[/IMG]

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-06-23 at 02:36 PM.
Old 2012-06-23, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Danelo
Private

The only problem I have with the Scythe is it's rear. Every shape of the aircraft is futuristic looking except the rear which seems to be just flat and blocky looking.

Scythe has no ass!

Last edited by Danelo; 2012-06-23 at 03:52 PM.
Old 2012-06-23, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Great photoshop but no............ JUST NO

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault