So every HA can be an aircraft counter? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: because you touch yourself at night.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-18, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Re: So every HA can be an aircraft counter?

I'm asking to discuss whether or not this will be a possibility and if you have this same concern and no, I haven't played the original planetside.
I never asked about how it really was ingame.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

The handheld AT weapons don't seem to do much damage against aircraft, especially the lib. The only times his plane took massive damage were when it was hit by tank shells (mags still trying to be snipers i guess) and when enemy reavers kamikazied into it. When he was hit by rockets the damage was puny.

Also keep in mind that there are several options available for HA other than the standard lock on missile. In neuro's cert page there are dumbfires, tv guided, and even a direct fire laser weapon nicknamed the lancer. Lock ons will be common, but if the damage is low and other options available then it shouldnt be a problem
Old 2012-07-18, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

HA is almost like a mini MAX that can capture points or a Heavy Weapon/ Anti Vehicle hybird. What we know about HA is

It can carry 2 primary weapons, one being a LMG as a squad automatic weapon, the other being an Anti-Vehicle weapon which could be swaped for a MANPAD (Man portible Air Defese).

A MAX is more of an Armored Infantry firepower support in which it can tank indoor firepower, act as an Anti Vehicle Ambusher along with a dismounted squad, or act as a LAAD (Low altitude Air Defence) augment for a unit.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Turdicus View Post
The handheld AT weapons don't seem to do much damage against aircraft, especially the lib. The only times his plane took massive damage were when it was hit by tank shells (mags still trying to be snipers i guess) and when enemy reavers kamikazied into it. When he was hit by rockets the damage was puny.

Also keep in mind that there are several options available for HA other than the standard lock on missile. In neuro's cert page there are dumbfires, tv guided, and even a direct fire laser weapon nicknamed the lancer. Lock ons will be common, but if the damage is low and other options available then it shouldnt be a problem
Now that's more I like it. Thanks for that post.

I'm breaking the discuss rule here, was there any information that there will be AA/AT specific handheld rocket launchers?

Also, I'm revamping the original post, one minute please.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
TheCaptainC
Private

maybe the av weapons of the ha should be changed so you can either lock on air targets or ground targets but not both with the same loadout
Old 2012-07-18, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Stardouser
Colonel

One thing you have to understand is that in PS2's class system, this actually limits the AV classes to MAX and HA, other classes will only be AV to the extent they can C4 vehicles or use engineer tricks like mines. PS1 didn't have any classes so basically as long as you were using an armor suit that would let you carry multiple primary sized weapons, you could carry an assault rifle and an AV weapon, or a repair gun and an AV weapon, etc.

Another thing to be taken into consideration is that, at least for TR(I haven't played NC or VS) the Striker is a semi-auto 5shot magazine instant lock on AV weapon, works against MAXes(highly OP there due to instant lock), ground vehicles and air. Will HA get rapid fire instant lock AV again - that's the question.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by TheCaptainC View Post
maybe the av weapons of the ha should be changed so you can either lock on air targets or ground targets but not both with the same loadout
Wouldn't really see why anyone would prefer the AT lock on over the AA lock on.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
I'm breaking the discuss rule here, was there any information that there will be AA/AT specific handheld rocket launchers?
Well this was what I was basing my info off of. This is from the E3 demo though so things can always change. http://www.hamma.ws/ntemp/Infantry/H...lt/HeavyAV.jpg
Old 2012-07-18, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
stordito
Staff Sergeant

in current jet fighter you can lock anywhere, almost 360* thanks to the HUD in your helmet.
However Air to Air works best is the speed bethween the 2 planes is minimium AND the target is moving away, because missiles are locked with a conjuction of radar,image and heat(exaust) detection.

So to balance the game you could be either allowed to lock anywhere but the missile loose effectiveness and precision if shoot from the front (this would reduce spamming in a face to face air combat too).
Or you can make so the lock engages ONLY if you keep your crosshair locked on his ass for 3 seconds with the locking signal beeping faster and faster in both planes...imagine the stress of being followed by a skilled pilot with the beeper in your head...

TL;DR
Air to Air lock should be reduced to a bare minimum and award who can fly better for longer, not just a cheap aim assist.
Air will be targeted from ground with a lot of stuff, no need to ruin the cool doghfights we could have higher in the sky.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
DukeTerror
Private

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
Wouldn't really see why anyone would prefer the AT lock on over the AA lock on.
Magriders, and Lightning tanks if they got good pilots who know to keep moving. All other Tanks and Sundy's if you (and hopefully 20 of your best friends) are ambushing a caravan.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't think it will be an issue - as others have said you will be able to break missile lock even once it is fired as you can in other games. Some of the HA launchers will be AA and other AV, so I imagine the AV ones will fly slower but hit harder.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
jabber
Private

now watch the rest of the video and see how to evades missiles in his liberator
Old 2012-07-18, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by stordito View Post
in current jet fighter you can lock anywhere, almost 360* thanks to the HUD in your helmet.
Assuming we're talking about the JHMCS, about 180 degrees. The seekers in the AIM-9X will only do about 90 degrees off boresight. If they're behind you, you're not firing missiles at them. If you're thinking of the Hornet sequence from BF3, let's just say that Dice was a teensy bit generous.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
TR Oakley
Private

HA AA missiles aren't a problem. We've seen many examples of pilots maneuvering away from them, and there is also flares.
They have made sure a single HA need to get lucky shots to bring down a aircraft quickly, but many HA shotting missiles at the same time will be a much more persistant threat.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
infinite loop
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Klockan View Post
What? Just have AA machineguns that rip them to shreds, we already got them on all basic tanks. Infantry with flak works as well.
Sorry, yeah was talking about infantry based AA specifically. I don't know that flak would be all that useful because you'd have to maintain LOS to the aircraft, exposing yourself. Unless the flak is insanely powerful I don't see it being effective vs half-decent pilots. Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing something like that instead of lockon AA, but in general aircraft rape infantry as it is.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion