Vehicle disabling - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Resistance is futile
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want disabling?
No 73 64.04%
Yes, exactly per BF3 3 2.63%
Yes, but no burning 3 2.63%
Yes, but it shouldn't happen until 20-25%, not 50% 24 21.05%
Other yes 9 7.89%
Other (completely different idea) 2 1.75%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-19, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
deltase
Corporal

Re: Vehicle disabling

I say NO! It's stupid mechanic that will only make you rage because of this stupid thing!
Old 2012-04-19, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Atheosim
Captain

Definitely no. Such a mechanic has no place in a game of such scale and of such varied hard counters.
Old 2012-04-19, 01:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I want disabling to be tied to locational damage, bfr-style.
+1! I voted for other, as i think you should be able to disable movement with a few well placed rockets to the tracks.

Not sure about disabling air vehicles, unless it automatically happens when they are really low health.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-04-19, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Make it optional ?

I voted no. Of course, I would not be against it if the mechanic they add to the game improves gameplay and fun.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

I don't really like the implementation of the mechanic in BF3. I like the idea, but I really don't think it's necessary.

It would be better if you could disable a vehicle by doing specific damage to a key component. Like blowing away a track, or hitting the engine compartment, or knocking the turret out.

That would give infantry a little more strategy in their play when encountering vehicles.

Just throwing that out there. I've seen the system in other games, it works quite well.

Last edited by wasdie; 2012-04-19 at 11:55 AM.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

It was tried and scrapped in PS1...don't think it has any place in PS2 either. Better and more obvious damage indicators (e.g. flames) would be nice though.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

It's make sense if you were able to damage certain parts of the vehicle in detail. Shoot the tracks to slow it down or disable its movement. Shoot the turret to jam it up and make it not turnable. But tanks just have locational damage as a function of total health not part health.

So I'd just rather leave it out based on the devs implementation of damage. And I agree that vehicles should show much more so how damaged they are, so that they are more obvious to both friendly engineers and enemy AV.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-04-19 at 11:59 AM.
Old 2012-04-19, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Gelnika
Private

In a little game called Darkest Hour: Europe '44-'45, there's a pretty involved damage system for armored vehicles. The following things can happen to your tank:
  • Optics destroyed
  • Turret traverse disabled
  • Turret elevation disabled
  • Main cannon disabled
  • Tread damaged/destroyed
  • Engine damaged/destroyed

Having this kind of damage model would not be in the vein of PlanetSide unless of course you could repair your tanks (which you can?). This kind of thing would add a lot of meta-game to armor engagements.
Old 2012-04-19, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Stardouser
Colonel

It's awesome to see that you guys are mostly against disabling, and overwhelmingly against BF3's extreme version of it.

However, I'm concerned that the devs are nevertheless going to outright cater to infantry because BF3 does. And so we need to get in before that happens, and here is a compromise for PS2 disabling:
1. NO Burning, that's the worst part of BF3 disabling
2. Disable occurs at 20%, and ends when repaired past 30%.
3. For air vehicles with afterburners, disable simply means no afterburners, but they can fly at their normal non-afterburner speed. For any air vehicles without afterburners, a 30% reduction to maximum speed.
4. For land vehicles, IF they have a sprint function like BF3 does, then disable simply means sprint is disabled. If they do not, a 30% maximum speed reduction.
5. If damaged vehicles smoke in this game,they should heavily smoke to indicate their disabled status. If they don't smoke, then a disabled vehicle should have heavy electrical shorting graphics to indicate it. This is on top of any armor plates that migh fall off.

So basically, doesn't happen until 20%, ends when repaired past 30% vehicle health, and means loss of afterburner/sprint or 30% off the top.

I think if we don't support a compromise like this now, they are going to cater to infantry like BF3 and you're going to see disables at 50% AND burning, you have to repair to 100% to end it, and both loss of afterburner/sprint AND a 50% reduction to normal speed. What's more, if it is like that, you're going to find lots of tanks camping at the longest possible range with a team of engineers repairing.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-19 at 07:05 PM.
Old 2012-04-19, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Raka Maru
Major

I'm sorry, but I'm not liking any ideas about disabling without actual hit boxes that are mapped to systems.

Damage to system could cause:
Tracks: slowed and/or steering sluggish
Weapons: slowed ROF or increased COF. Can blow up if too damaged
Vents: can cause overheating or fire
Gun slots: should damage the gunner inside.
Cockpit: should damage pilot

Anything else that doesn't involve the small hitbox would damage armour. This would improve tactics for C4 sticky bombs and even very good snipers as well as other vehicle damage. If I run up and chunk a grenade inside the gun slot, the occupants should feel it.
Old 2012-04-19, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
Gun slots: should damage the gunner inside.
Cockpit: should damage pilot
Those ideas are better but if one hit disables your guns every time an accurate hit to the turret is made, that's bad.

Also, I agree with there being an ability to hurt the drivers/gunners, especially with aircraft, but are they even going to model infantry inside vehicles so that that's possible? Especially relevant for Galaxies.
Old 2012-04-19, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Those ideas are better but if one hit disables your guns every time an accurate hit to the turret is made, that's bad.

Also, I agree with there being an ability to hurt the drivers/gunners, especially with aircraft, but are they even going to model infantry inside vehicles so that that's possible? Especially relevant for Galaxies.
They don't really have to model the infantry, just map the hitbox to the player inside. I would add that splash damage should NOT count for these hit boxes, and some more sturdy systems like weapons would require several direct hits.
Old 2012-04-19, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
DayOne
Captain

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
They don't really have to model the infantry, just map the hitbox to the player inside. I would add that splash damage should NOT count for these hit boxes, and some more sturdy systems like weapons would require several direct hits.
But you're inside an armoured vehicle! Just have a hit to certain areas of the vehicle shake up the camera a little for the player. The point of being in a vehicle is so you don't get damaged by stuff outside.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by DayOne View Post
But you're inside an armoured vehicle! Just have a hit to certain areas of the vehicle shake up the camera a little for the player. The point of being in a vehicle is so you don't get damaged by stuff outside.
Right, but aircraft with cockpits have glass or other transparent material that's less protective than other opaque materials. Especially vehicles with open air windows and such should permit the occupants to be hurt.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Recreate World of Tanks module system for all vehicles. Hitting a certain area of the tank can damage certain functions, be they optics or treads or engine or gun.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion