Gameplay: Max Unit Shield - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do it for Hamma!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-14, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Re: Max Unit Shield

I hope the Devs take a good look at this.
Fun, adds something to the game, easy to balance, fits the combat concepts of PS2. What's not to like?
Old 2012-07-15, 03:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Ravenclaw
Private

massive +1 from me, i happily sacrifice a wepon slot for some sort of large tower shield.

ofc it should be directional, ie MASSIVE resistance to pretty much everything in front of you, but nothing to anything that flanks you.
Old 2012-07-15, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Zekeen
Major

I am still shocked at how popular this thread is (pleasantly shocked).

Generally, riot shields are HATED. They got removed from counter strike, are hated in call of duty, and otherwise seen as cheap and useless. A MAX is also seen as a scary overpower risk to many new players. Combine this all and it doesn't make sense at how popular this idea has become.

Personally, I think the MAX is starting to take center stage a bit. PS1 didn't have hardly anything for the MAX, but it was always a major part of any offensive. We're at the point where anything that can alter MAX strategy is highly wanted.

I hope to continue to see this idea staying at 5 stars. I really wanna hear a Dev take notice.
Old 2012-07-15, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

People like options and as long as they don't imbalance the game, they should get those options.
Old 2012-07-15, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Shinjorai
First Sergeant

I like this idea a lot, but if maxes get a shield can infiltrators have a grappling hook ?
Old 2012-07-16, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Azren
Sergeant Major

Good idea, if executed right.
Old 2012-07-16, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
DukeTerror
Private

I am also with the +1 on this idea.

However, I'm a fan of the idea that the shield is energy based in the similar style like the CE's turret placement. It would balance the extra protection with the fact that you are easy to see with it as well as make it easier on the other end to know when you shot it enough to disable the shield.
Old 2012-07-16, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by DukeTerror View Post
I am also with the +1 on this idea.

However, I'm a fan of the idea that the shield is energy based in the similar style like the CE's turret placement. It would balance the extra protection with the fact that you are easy to see with it as well as make it easier on the other end to know when you shot it enough to disable the shield.
Are you saying it should be a front facing version of the NC MAX ability in PS1?

That is an awesome idea, just have it up whether shooting or not, since you have to cut firepower in half to use it.
Old 2012-07-16, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

I actually like this idea

Now I have it in my head 'Max Jousting' , 2 maxes on autorun hitting each other at full speed, could be a new e-sport
Old 2012-07-16, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
DukeTerror
Private

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Are you saying it should be a front facing version of the NC MAX ability in PS1?

That is an awesome idea, just have it up whether shooting or not, since you have to cut firepower in half to use it.
I still think it should be very riot shield like only covering the front third or so around you centered from the arm it's on. It's one of your arm choices, but you could have two and only be able to bash in melee. Few people would do this unless they are dedicated to providing cover for a squad. Otherwise one shield one weapon would be great.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Not a bad idea, really. Just a giant riot shield. I can imagine one standing in front with a shield, while another one or two behind him fire over.
Old 2012-07-17, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Zekeen
Major

Ya know, I think one reason that this idea stands so tall, might also be the fact that MAX units dual wield different guns. This means that in a very common situation, a MAX will be using a single gun to attack a type of enemy, not both.

This makes using a shield with a single gun much more plausible.

I don't think this idea is ever going to die.... I am so happy for it! I mentioned it before this thread came out... but I didn't start one cause I thought it would never catch on like this. I hope this stays on the front page till Higby and TRay give in and confirm it!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault