Gameplay: what about a "urban" type continent? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where 'Teh bomb' is still something to run away from.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

View Poll Results: Do you like this idea? (read post first please)
YES, i absolutely love this idea 82 76.64%
YES, i think it would be cool but i wouldn't play on it often 8 7.48%
NO OPINION 2 1.87%
NO, good idea but, not really a planetside type enviroment 11 10.28%
NO, this is not a good idea 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-01-22, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
DemoTape
Private

Re: what about a "urban" type continent?

A urban-area is a great idea, but it should be a urban continent. Away from the three original ones. And for one thing, the fight that we have in the out perimeter of the bases is not a urban-fighting, not at all.

A urban-area should be first conceived as a small continent 10x10 km, like an artificial island city that was under attack by the three factions. But the principal idea of the city, is that it is a huge maze with unlimited ways to get across it. One awesome game that shows great urban-fighting is the single player campaign of Halo: ODST, that kind of gameplay is what I think would be cool to Planetside 2. Every building should have a doorway or a corridor or a second floor of some sort. But that just for the Infantry gameplay, for the vehicles there should be five-lanes highways crossing the city, some open areas like a park or a bombarded block. For last but not least the island should be covered in Skyscrapers huge ones(1 km high) that would make the air game.

What I mean with Air game, is that the map to compensate for it lack of size it should have four levels of game. Underground, Street Level, Highway and finally Top of Skyscrapers.

The Underground would be a connection of the sewers, metro and the Pillars that sustain the island. It would be focused on corridor infantry fight and small vessels naval combat between the a few larger areas of water ( with the possibilities of low-flying air combat); The Street level would be all about squad teamplay, and breaching through buildings, traps, sniping, and vehicles would be in disadvantage in this area since their mobility is changed for the two lane streets, the air combat would be present in the chases between the Skyscrapers and the Air-support for the ground-troops.The Highway would be a fast-paced area where it wouldn't matter really who would control the area, for it wouldn't have any fix defense it would be a no-man land served only with the purpose of moving the troops. The Skyscraper level would the dispute between air-crafts and infantry where they could only reach the top of the skyscrapers by Gal, and each skyscraper would be a control point and each one should be build to make a different fight a platoon focused on it would have to keep their galaxies alive so they could move from one to another, and only other way to get in would be through neutral teleports in the base of the skyscrapers.

Well, that's what I think. But they would have to increment the game with speedboats for the water combat, and a few different vehicles like the bug and a medium air transporter.
Old 2013-01-22, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Originally Posted by HiroshiChugi View Post
also,instead of having a perfect city (not war-ravaged or damaged and such), have that war-ravaged,damaged building. kind of like how Europe looked like in WWII. burned out building, piles of rubble, and flipped over cars everywhere. makes sense, doesn't it?
I just hope that IF and WHEN they do this, they do it properly, not like their so-called "Night Battles" which are a whole other story lol.
Old 2013-01-22, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

They could call this urban continent The Capitol. The first city built on Auraxis before the NC and VS came about.
Old 2013-02-03, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Brogan
Private

It'd be really interesting what they could do with the little details too. In some places (sewers maybe) there would be locked doors to bunkers that are obviously refugee shelters. From outside, you would hear coughing, babies crying, and hushed whispers, etc. Teddy bears and other toys lay strewn around the entrance.
Fighting would feel like house to house, where it really feels like someone lives there and left in a hurry. Dishes strew the kitchen, etc..
Old 2013-02-04, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
flukeman
Private

problem is that they never fully colonised auraxis.
there are no human cities.
the bases we fight over were dropped from orbit.
so if anything it would be a ancient vanu city.
still cool, but no human architecture.
Old 2013-02-04, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
flukeman
Private

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
They could call this urban continent The Capitol. The first city built on Auraxis before the NC and VS came about.
the NC and VS happened when the fleet was still searching for a planet.
Old 2013-02-04, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Miir
Malvision

Last edited by Miir; 2013-02-04 at 11:59 AM.
Old 2013-02-04, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Micro
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
Wow! You did that yourself? Amazing!

I do also like the idea, but thinking about the lore I bet there really hasn't been a single second of peace to build a city on Auraxis...

Last edited by Micro; 2013-02-04 at 11:03 PM.
Old 2013-02-04, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Miir
Malvision

Originally Posted by Micro View Post
Wow! You did that yourself? Amazing!

I do also like the idea, but thinking about the lore I bet there really has been a single second of peace to build a city on Auraxis...
Not exactly. Photoshoping some images together was the extent of what I did.

Going by the lore they had centuries of peace in which to build cities.

Though the initial centuries after arriving on Auraxis were peaceful and prosperous years, lines had long ago been drawn between the emergent factions of the original settlers. Armed conflict slowly became an inevitability as ideological differences took hold. When the authoritarian Terran Republic and profit-minded New Conglomerate eventually broke out into full scale war, the borderline-cultic Vanu Sovereignty declared their independence and joined in the hostilities. Now, with all three factions vying for control of Auraxis and its resources, every soldier must declare a side and defend Auraxis from a seemingly endless stream of foes.
Source: http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Lore

Last edited by Miir; 2013-02-04 at 02:10 PM.
Old 2013-02-04, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Micro
Sergeant Major

Oh, ok. Mah brainz thinkin wrong again. :P
Old 2013-02-05, 02:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
flukeman
Private

I think when it said that the lines had been drawn "long ago" I feel that they wouldn't work together enough to build cities.
anyway if they have built cities why do they still have the buildings dropped from space?
surely they would have built better facilities before building an elaborate city.
Old 2013-02-13, 07:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Takoita
Private

Something like Midgar from FFVII? I'm all for it. There are some innovations needed to make it work though.

Like layered map, genuine cargo elevators, ventilation shaft crawl, ladders, armed and armored trams, some flooded sections for boat-to-boat (or maybe even underwater) combat, cables to climb the sides of buildings and zip around between them - none of that teleporter/jumppad rubbish.
Old 2013-02-13, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
SDaxxter
Private

As the maps are well balanced terrains, imho it's a great idea to have some cities and suburbs. I'd say yes to a seperate continent.
Old 2013-02-13, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Just one quick question.... how'd you get the poll to work? -__-"
Old 2013-02-13, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
luketopian
Private

Originally Posted by HiroshiChugi View Post
Just one quick question.... how'd you get the poll to work? -__-"
um... I don't really remember.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault