News: Nexus Battle Island Revealed - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Theres no place like home
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-30, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: Nexus Battle Island Revealed

Ok Higby just announced in a MLG interview that nexus will be linked to the other conts via the warpgates on Hossin. Does This mean that hossin will have 4 gates?
Ok they tell me that nexus will connect to Esamir and Hossin.

Last edited by capiqu; 2013-06-30 at 04:59 PM.
Old 2013-06-30, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
Ok Higby just announced in a MLG interview that nexus will be linked to the other conts via the warpgates on Hossin. Does This mean that hossin will have 4 gates?
Three: One to Indar, One to Esamir, One to Amerish. That's my read on it.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-06-30, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
RSphil
Contributor
Major

looks nice. call of planetside style, will be interesting how this all works with the rest of the game. i like the larger battles so i dont think i'll be going to it unless i go for a look around
Old 2013-07-01, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by Edfishy View Post
What gives me the greatest pause is the "Not sure how this is going to be included into the game". ...
As far as public opinion goes, that is their whole approach to making this game.
Old 2013-07-01, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
MrMak
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
Three: One to Indar, One to Esamir, One to Amerish. That's my read on it.
Wait a second.

4 continents = 12 gates.

3 of those would likely be uncapturable "home gates" or linked to a "dead end" battle island that functions as the home base so that leaves 9 gates.

1 gate on indar esamir and amersih each would link to Hossin so thats 6 gates acounted for which leaves 3 gates. 2 of those can be linked but what about to the 3rd one?

Last edited by MrMak; 2013-07-01 at 04:50 AM.
Old 2013-07-01, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Shogun
Contributor
General

the video says "vast interior areas"...

would be interesting to see, if these interior areas now matter for a fight, or if it´s just meaningless rooms again, and there are still stupid spawncamptainers in the open.

but i guess we will not get to play on those battle islands before hossin, right?

shame, they can´t put them on the testserver for everyone to have a look.
because they could only make them available through warpgate terminal, leaving one faction without access.
they could clone thw island and make one available for each faction to walk around, but there would be no enemies (for at least one faction)

on the "not sure how to put it ingame" thing...
put a small contestable (or open and unowned) warpgate in the middle of esamir and amerish. each connecting to one of the battle island gates. the owner of nexud can start invasions on those 2 conts from the middle now.

easy to upgrade when new continents or battle islands go live.

or change every continent to 4 warpgates in the corners. 3 faction gates (until continental game makes this dynamic) and one nexus gate. yes, it doesn´t come out right because we now only have 3 conts, so one warpgate is left out of order, or the warpgates take turns for the battle island, like they do for factions right now.

i think of the islands like the caves in ps1.
make their access gates rotate and give them a big advantage to earn. like the modules in ps1. i don´t give a shit about esports, so don´t you dare to drop the opportunity to use those things for some kind of meta game!

the caves were not loved by many, but the cavelovers really had fun, getting out the modules, and the rest of the faction appreciated it, when some outfit came up from the deep with a bunch of modules that would help turning the tide.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-07-01, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

on the "not sure how to put it ingame" thing...
put a small contestable (or open and unowned) warpgate in the middle of esamir and amerish. each connecting to one of the battle island gates. the owner of nexud can start invasions on those 2 conts from the middle now.

easy to upgrade when new continents or battle islands go live.

or change every continent to 4 warpgates in the corners. 3 faction gates (until continental game makes this dynamic) and one nexus gate. yes, it doesn´t come out right because we now only have 3 conts, so one warpgate is left out of order, or the warpgates take turns for the battle island, like they do for factions right now.

i think of the islands like the caves in ps1.
make their access gates rotate and give them a big advantage to earn. like the modules in ps1. i don´t give a shit about esports, so don´t you dare to drop the opportunity to use those things for some kind of meta game!
This would be much more acceptable since it'd at least flow somewhat with the current game. It's the whole building of some gimmicky Battle Island that has totally disconnected entry functionality and separate character progression that makes it feel inconsistent.

Maybe to encourage outfit vs. outfit have the queue priority favor those who are in an outfit over pubbies squads, and pubbie squads over lone wolves. In addition, display which outfits and what % they make up of the roster when you're at the warp console.
Old 2013-07-01, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Edfishy View Post
It's the whole building of some gimmicky Battle Island that has totally disconnected entry functionality and separate character progression that makes it feel inconsistent.
i haven´t read the whole thread, so correct me if i missed some dev statements, but the seperate char progression is ONLY for the mlg matches and has nothing to do with the normal live servers.

mlg will most certainly be played like any other arena lobby e-sports game: totally disconnected from the mmo server. so there has to be either a seperate fast way to level up chars, or a kind of cert-pool from which the players can draw to setup their chars before play. but i really don´t think this is something the normal ps2 player would be involved with.

my suggestion is a lot like ps1 (again), where the caves were introduced after the gameworld was already completed. they were only used by a few players, but provided shortcuts for surprise attacks on other continents. that´s how i imagine the battle islands could work for ps2. with the (also ps1 like) bonus of modules or something similar, that can only be obtained on the battle island, and have to be taken to another cont, to apply a valuable bonus there. like drastic ressource discount for drawing vehicles at the base where the module is installed, or drastic accuracy bonus on base aa turrets, instant respawn without timer, vehicle shields upgraded to also block infyntry, and so on. lots of possibilities there.

the important thing is, that those boni must be worth the hassle. just a 5% bonus on respawn time isn´t worth a fuck! nobody cares for any boni that are already in the game, because they hardly make any difference.
in ps1, it was a difference, if you had an ancient tech module or not. having one meant being able to pull additional weapons and vehicles unavailable to the other factions!

Old 2013-07-01, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Bear
Corporal

So they have no problem cranking out "battle islands" yet Hossin takes 9 months?
Old 2013-07-01, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Dodgy Commando
Staff Sergeant

Not quite sure on how I feel about the actual existence of Nexus on Live (considering the devs don't quite know how its going to be implemented yet!). I don't care much for the MLG aspect, although I'm sure this is great for them.

Nexus does look very nice though, the trees and the new interiors are pretty sweet.

Lol at the Fracture MAX indoors during the infantry fight sequence...
Old 2013-07-01, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Climhazzard
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Wargrim View Post
[...] please, please please bring those snow - covered trees to Esamir.
They are. The Esamir rework was shown off during an FNO several weeks ago and it included snow-covered trees in and around facilities.

Originally Posted by Gonchiese View Post
Oh look, their all in instanced PvP zones.
I've seen no indication that the BIs will be instanced zones in the regular game.

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
the important thing is, that those boni must be worth the hassle. just a 5% bonus on respawn time isn´t worth a fuck! nobody cares for any boni that are already in the game, because they hardly make any difference.
You can't make bonuses too effective or they shift the balance of power too far in one faction's favor. That's not a good thing in a persistent world game.
Old 2013-07-01, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Climhazzard View Post
You can't make bonuses too effective or they shift the balance of power too far in one faction's favor. That's not a good thing in a persistent world game.
oh yes, you can!
because any faction can do ops to recover the module from you and you lose your precious "i win" bonus. so this could break the "rich getting richer" problem we have now. the underdog could just storm in, collect the modules from the overlords of the continent and then protect the base they store it in, giving them a little help against the overpowered.

look at modules in ps1. they gave out really meaningful and big advantages, but if you got lazy on your defence, they could easily change ownership. (unless bunkered in a shielded capital city)

it´s all about an incentive to do more than the usual "kill everybody and get certs" and it´s a great way for smaller outfits to proof their value for the faction! right now you can´t do anything of great matter as a smaller group. better roll with the zerg, or find another small group for a little skirmish, but nothing of value for the war.

Old 2013-07-01, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
CrimsonTemplar
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bear View Post
So they have no problem cranking out "battle islands" yet Hossin takes 9 months?
Well according to Higby, Battle Islands take roughly 6 or so weeks, while an entire continent takes around 8 months:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...hrough/casw5oj Someone asks him the question.

Of course the problem with Hossin is that technically it was already done, for the old Hex system. With all the continent redesigning and lattice hullabaloo, Hossin was probably put on hold until it too can go through the 'latticification' process.
Old 2013-07-01, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Group instances are poison for the game. It dont point to the target group of the game. SOE is focusing on esports kiddies but they wont play it because there are dozen better games out there regarding competitive gaming. I dont really like the way this game evolve. It is sad to see the number of active players dropping constantly. I hope this game will be still alive when hossin is out.
Old 2013-07-01, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Hamma
PSU Admin

There's no doubt Hossin probably was delayed by the Battle Islands given they are pretty much the same resources. That being said however, it could be much worse. Hossin is coming and they have been working on it for some time it's not like the whole thing hasn't been started yet.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion