"How long will you wait for optimization?" - ReachCast Episode 49 CQ - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma is the end.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-09-04, 05:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
PredatorFour
Major

Re: "How long will you wait for optimization?" - ReachCast Episode 49 CQ

Needs to be done soon, we need new content soon too. With the impending release of Everquest Next which is bound to draw most of Soe's resources being it's flagship title, we need this ASAP.
Old 2013-09-04, 05:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Mox View Post
It is way too late. The crowd already left ps2 months ago. Ps2 isnt even worth playing for free anymore. The game is almost dead.
Therefore, big props to smed and co. for ruining this game by rushing it out way too early.
Nonsense. One and all, except for the game being rushed. That I do agree with.

I agree with Geo, I think we will start seeing more players voicing their dissatisfaction in a month or so. 3-4 months? I can see a lot of players taking a break from the game, I might even do so myself... For the third time. Of course every time players take a break from the game you [SOE] runs the risk of losing them entirely. The reason why I believe this, is that when I started playing again I saw that people had apparently grown tired of fighting in alerts on Miller, I assume that it's more or less the same on all the servers. What else is there to the game, besides the alerts?
But I'm hoping that it won't take more than... Say two months.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-09-04 at 06:15 PM.
Old 2013-09-04, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Levente
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mox View Post
It is way too late. The crowd already left ps2 months ago. Ps2 isnt even worth playing for free anymore. The game is almost dead.
Therefore, big props to smed and co. for ruining this game by rushing it out way too early.
you mad bro? buttheart much? ps2 with all with its flaws is still the best multiplayer experience ever in gaming history. lots of people playing with ps2
Old 2013-09-04, 07:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by Levente View Post
you mad bro? buttheart much? ps2 with all with its flaws is still the best multiplayer experience ever in gaming history. lots of people playing with ps2
No it isn't but that's not what this thread is about so we wont go there
Old 2013-09-04, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Levente
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
No it isn't but that's not what this thread is about so we wont go there
what no? name another game where you can get 4 transport ships loaded with players and then drop at a base. Ps2 is the best, of course could be better but after BF3 disspointment this is just heaven, not to mention i always wanted BF2142 on steroids and this is it. so no complain here
Old 2013-09-04, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Raraldor
Private

For me it's a race to when Firefall gets either a more vocal community/more of the area gets unlocked, or when I can finally run PS2 on medium graphics. I'll drop one and pick up the other full time. Infiltrators are invisible unless they are sprinting on low graphics, which is rather annoying lol
Old 2013-09-04, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by Levente View Post
what no? name another game where you can get 4 transport ships loaded with players and then drop at a base. Ps2 is the best, of course could be better but after BF3 disspointment this is just heaven, not to mention i always wanted BF2142 on steroids and this is it. so no complain here
The key is in the name... Planetside 2.
Old 2013-09-04, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

We done jumped the shark now...

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-09-05, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
JonLeePettimore
Private

I'm not a programmer, so I will admit I'm not very knowledgeable about the subject, but, I'd like to see optimization treated like content was. We don't need a steady, constant rush. We can take a little at a time. So, I'd like to see them start rolling out weekly or bi-weekly optimization patches next week if we could. Small things, if such a thing exists.

And then, as we near PS4 launch in November, start seeing the real fruits of the labor. The big things; multi threading support, the overhauls that end crashes, that sort of stuff.

I'm willing to wait until November (?) for optimization, so long as we can get small pieces of improvement along the way. If not... I guess I'm willing to wait until November anyway, because I believe that's when the whole thing will hit.
Old 2013-09-05, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Galron
Staff Sergeant

Too late, already quit. Might check back next Jan/Feb when these multicore optimizations finally hit the PC side. I think everyone expecting them earlier than that is pretty delusional considering the console version will get it first and most of the reduced staff will be trying to launch the console version before December.
Old 2013-09-08, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
EVILoHOMER
Major

50% of people quit Planetside 2 by December 2012, I noticed huge declines there and come 2013 I was asking for server merges because it was hard to find battles.

The game died from a typical SOE rush release even though we kept telling them in beta it wasn't ready. It's like how many times SOE? This happens with all your games and YOU DO NOT FUCKING LISTEN TO YOUR BETA TESTERS!

I do not care for EQN, one because it looks like shit but also I've got no interest in being burnt again.
Old 2013-09-09, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Sunrock
Major

It would be good that they actually improve it first before we start to talk about they spending too much time on it.
Old 2013-09-09, 03:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Sirisian
Colonel

I was talking about this in IRC the other day and its effect on the resource revamp schedule. I could see the optimizations getting to PTS in around January and early February for the live server. Kind of sucks, but it would probably push other roadmap items into April probably? Might be a little optimistic of a time table though.

This is under the assumption they do the optimizations in a sane manner and are actually allowed to rewrite things and try other approaches. I honestly don't see this being a single issue in their engine.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2013-09-09 at 03:17 AM.
Old 2013-09-09, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Meatball Mobeus
Master Sergeant

Honstly what started my burn out of the game was the fact that I expected to crash at least once every play session.

I'll say that again. I EXPECTED to crash at least once every time I played.

For those of you who don't know me, I love to make videos of my outfits raid on Thursday. I like to think I have just as much fun editing the video as much as I like to play the game.

But, logging in every Thursday. Trying to make a video, find some really good fights or some really cool footage. Then crashing mid way through said fight/cool thing that is happening. Come back, and its over. That in all honesty ruined a couple of raid nights for me, and ended in my logging off kinda pissed off.

I understand that this game is incredibly difficult to make and keep bug free. But as I said earlier in this post. I shouldn't be expecting to crash every time I play. Well unless its a beta. Which officially this game is not.

I started my break about Wednesday last week, and will prolly be back this Thursday. But SOE has got to get a handle on this soon. Not just for my sake, but for the entire player base. Not only am I starting to see some friends kinda move away from the game. I'm also realizing that some people that I use to see all the time on the other factions are just gone.

As much as I love to play with my buddies, this game is kinda boring without people to fight.

Last edited by Meatball Mobeus; 2013-09-09 at 03:33 AM.
Old 2013-09-09, 04:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Since the game will not decompose or anything (atleast not literally), i can wait indefinitely.

But playing? Welp, all i can say is after coming back and giving PS2 a fresh try i allready stopped playing again, because after a littlebit of "wow new stuff - this is getting somewhere" i realized just how much still needs to be done untill it's really getting somewhere.
I'm sorry, but untill this has atleast the barebone elements of planetside i'm not wasting my time with this crap anymore beyond logging in for a couple of mins every now and then.

And tbh, i think this is exactly the problem they have or will be having: People come back only so many times before they just say "fuck this" and move to a different title which offers something similar.
I mean time is still on SOEs side, but they better be quick with making this forgelight engine test into a real game, otherwise the first competitor to be released (which, due to their stupid target demographic and game design, might aswell be some lobby shooter like battlefield) will turn this into a friggin' ghost town. Like PS1. Just worse. F2P XP-Grind worse.

And the icing on the cake? One could see this steady decline coming from a mile away, i still remember all those threads about releasing / creating hype "too early" in beta, or the myriads of helpful threads on why the game isn't working (anyone remember figment for example?).
But instead the devs choose to bumble around giving off the impression that they are making their first game with a "call of duty creator" while never having heard of planetside.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion