Planetside 2 ruined Battlefield - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dial "M" for Maurader
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-11-05, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Re: Planetside 2 ruined Battlefield

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
From what I've heard we will be seeing two optimization patches followed by one content patch and then a third optimization patch. Don't know what comes next after that.
Yea...however the "Roadmap" timeline on the PS2 website prompts the most compelling questions about the future of PS2....what happens after November? Everything else on the time line is "unscheduled"......I know they have taken their time to focus on optimization but regardless they can't timeline more stuff? Is the time really to hard to judge? Who is accountable for the planning and implementation for the timeline?

Smed?? Higby? Anyone know?
Old 2013-11-05, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by DirtyBird View Post
My friends are playing BF4 so thats where I want to be, they left PS2 months ago.

Now BF4 wasnt all that stable in the first few days but now I hardly ever crash.
The netcode is shite but I'm guessing they probably wont take a year to fix it.
I probably wont play more than a couple of hundred hours but for me its a nice change of pace from a stale PS2 atm.

Playing on Briggs the fights aren't a patch on what most of the other server have.
Had I been on a well populated server it might have been a different story.
Briggs will never recover from the population slide thats taken place and a server transfer or merge to Connery isnt going to improve anything.
As it is the census numbers on Briggs are exaggerated with so many swapping factions multiple times a session.

Love my PS2 but where I play it seems to be losing more and more players each day.
Buggy BF4 is just more appealing...atm.
NOOOO! DON'T LEAVE! I HAVE YET TO KILL YOU!

jokes aside, personally yeah i think we are going to have to wait for it to improve, pop wise especially. haven't played PS2 in a couple of days, but i still get some decent fights, fights that are bigger than any BF game has had to offer at least, and that is what keeps me playing it. maybe i am extremely optimistic (and biased), but i think PS2 will improve, and PS2 will look like the holy grail in time, and people will start coming back from BFthisiswhatBF3shouldhavebeenlikeinthefirstplace to PS2.

but god damnit i am torn with BF4 right now. i WANT to get it, because it looks like an improvement over BF3 which i hated, and the destruction always makes me squeal.

but on the other hand, i don't think that it can win me over with its match based crap and 64 puny players just so the "next gen" consoles (with their inability to not able to run most games 1080p-60fps, something people could do years ago) can keep up. also, the changes are so god damn minor it is not worth it, at least now. and to get the "full experience", you are going to have to get premium, which nets the price up over $100! god damn EA.....
Old 2013-11-05, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
but god damnit i am torn with BF4 right now. i WANT to get it, because it looks like an improvement over BF3 which i hated, and the destruction always makes me squeal.
Don't buy it. The game isn't worth its money.

Singleplayer is shit in terms of content and quality, multiplayer is lagging both in the sense of network and graphical lag... Bottomline - they followed the example of SOE and released a half-baked game. They do, however seem to correct their mistakes much faster, so sometime later maybe it'll be worth.

I think the release of the second DLC is when that happens.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-11-05 at 06:08 PM.
Old 2013-11-05, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
NOOOO! DON'T LEAVE! I HAVE YET TO KILL YOU! .....
Thanks to SOE I'm taking a small break to optimize my gaming experience, there's nothing like playing with friends. Even if it was Toon Town, playing with friends makes a big difference.

There are plenty of Briggs people playing BF4 atm Camy and I swear I am an easier target in it as well.

One thing I noticed recently that I have never ever seen in a year of PS2....an ad on TV (AU) promoting Battlefield 4.
Seems like there is more to marketing than reddit, facebook and twitter.
Old 2013-11-05, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Don't buy it. The game isn't worth its money.

Singleplayer is shit in terms of content and quality, multiplayer is lagging both in the sense of network and graphical lag... Bottomline - they followed the example of SOE and released a half-baked game. They do, however seem to correct their mistakes much faster, so sometime later maybe it'll be worth.

I think the release of the second DLC is when that happens.
eh, shit SP is to be expected; it was shoved up DICE's ass by EA so they could "compete" (Even though they shouldn't be competing because they are completely different games) with CoD.

i guess it is also peer pressure, but i gotta keep my sanity. i have plenty of other games still to play, and plenty of others that give a similar experience to BF4.
Old 2013-11-06, 01:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Peer-to-peer "Matchmaking", paid DLC, no community content (maps, mods). This franchise sure went downhill from back in the day when i played Battlefield (1942) and became synonymous with the creative cancer of nowadays "Consume, pay and fuck off" attitude that goes into making (FPS) games. Also called the "Call of Duty" Syndrome.

I'm staying the hell away from shit like that.

Unfortunately these games are actually some kind of pop cultural phenomenon with todays youth, so just like bad hollywood movies they are most likely gonna stay for a little longer. Man, where is a video game industry crash when you need one?
Old 2013-11-06, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
Yea...however the "Roadmap" timeline on the PS2 website prompts the most compelling questions about the future of PS2....what happens after November? Everything else on the time line is "unscheduled"......I know they have taken their time to focus on optimization but regardless they can't timeline more stuff? Is the time really to hard to judge? Who is accountable for the planning and implementation for the timeline?

Smed?? Higby? Anyone know?
Some dude called Josh if i remember correctly.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-11-06, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
Peer-to-peer "Matchmaking", paid DLC, no community content (maps, mods). This franchise sure went downhill from back in the day when i played Battlefield (1942) and became synonymous with the creative cancer of nowadays "Consume, pay and fuck off" attitude that goes into making (FPS) games. Also called the "Call of Duty" Syndrome.

Unfortunately these games are actually some kind of pop cultural phenomenon with todays youth, so just like bad hollywood movies they are most likely gonna stay for a little longer. Man, where is a video game industry crash when you need one?
now THAT is a way to put it. i salute you sir.
Old 2013-11-06, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Here, here...exactly. PS2 didn't ruin Battlefield, DICE ruined Battlefield...

Desert Combat mod is still the most complete Battlefield franchise experience.
Old 2013-11-06, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Seagoon
Corporal

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
Here, here...exactly. PS2 didn't ruin Battlefield, DICE ruined Battlefield...

Desert Combat mod is still the most complete Battlefield franchise experience.
Project Reality for BF2 >>> Desert Combat.
Old 2013-11-06, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Seagoon View Post
Project Reality for BF2 >>> Desert Combat.
PR was a great mod, pushed the limits well passed DICE's efforts. However PR was for simulation fans it was not a BF on steroids game like DC Mod, so I stick with my call, however PR was fun when I felt like jamming a stick up my ass and playing Battlefield....

Some of the best BF Mods below..

Desert Combat Mod
Project Reality Mod
Eve of Destruction Mod
Forgotten Hope Mod
First Strike Mod (StarWars) -And god bless modders they are still chipping away at this one and it is looking great : http://fsmod.com/
Old 2013-11-06, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

Same thing happened in planetside 1. People take breaks, but they come back. You can't play the same game forever, but planetside has a lasting appeal with most people due to the open world/community. Do people remember who you are on BF4/COD? No one gives a fuck, and every match is a different set of people. Plus it is hard to play with your group/outfit all together at once, if not impossible.

Back on planetside 1 I'd play the game maybe an hour or two a night for years and years with a short break here and there when a new major game came out, but I always came back eventually.

Just think - how many hours have you invested into planetside 1 or 2 as compared to the last COD/BF game? If you're like me, I maybe played a hundred hours with most of the COD/BF games (with exception to battlefield 2142, because that game was fucking awesome), but I won't tell you how many hours I have already invested in planetside 1/2. It's pretty embarrassing :P

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan

Last edited by Sardus; 2013-11-06 at 02:43 PM.
Old 2013-11-06, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Calista
Second Lieutenant

I agree but I just saw where COD:Ghosts generated $1B sales in 24 hours. Guess we will be stuck in the doldrums for a while longer.
Old 2013-11-06, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Blynd
First Sergeant

That's the problem we face cod and bf have such huge hype and marketing that even if its a shit product people lap it up and pay for the privelege of being screwed over and they love them for it.
Old 2013-11-06, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
I agree but I just saw where COD:Ghosts generated $1B sales in 24 hours. Guess we will be stuck in the doldrums for a while longer.
i'm pretty sure that it didn't, from what i heard they gave retailers $1 billion worth of stock of the game
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion