Gameplay: what about a "urban" type continent? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Add cheese, $.25
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

View Poll Results: Do you like this idea? (read post first please)
YES, i absolutely love this idea 82 76.64%
YES, i think it would be cool but i wouldn't play on it often 8 7.48%
NO OPINION 2 1.87%
NO, good idea but, not really a planetside type enviroment 11 10.28%
NO, this is not a good idea 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-02-28, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
SPECSCXG
Private

Re: what about a "urban" type continent?

Love the ideas... since all factions are still fighting over the planet resources, I imagined something like this...

Indar = Mine is majority of rock formations and canyons, small mining city perhaps?

Esamir = Looks like an oil rich continent, a small city with snow covered buildings would look great

Amerish = With the lush landscape and nice concept of hills, etc (my favorite area to snipe and run ) as what was suggested, a ruined city from the original occupiers will look applicable.

Having a separate continent for urban combat? I don;t agree, including these to the existing ones? absolutely nice !

Having tall buildings on these cities? Yes, on a minimum perhaps, it will be difficult to clear out all these buildings if we want to completed own the city.

How to conquer these cities? with the wide area it will cover where a lot of potential hiding areas for the enemy, i think we can;t totally. We can probably create sections which we can cap like the outer areas we currently have. What is the objective? Aside from being a potential hot zone for certs, they can add areas where special resource can be gained, an XP boost maybe?

Just my thoughts.

SPECS
Old 2013-03-01, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Microdose
Private

I love the idea, but think it will play hell on graphic cards and possibly increase the system specs if you want to have a decent frame rate.

Thinking about where do the people live, i had always thought I lived on some sort of space station. Almost like how the Avatar movie worked, I wake up on the station, get into the avatar bed thingy and next thing I know, I am in the body of the trooper, being dropped from space into the battlefield. In order to support the troops, they dropped the facilities in place as well. We may not like the other factions, but we are civilized, we don't want the civilians being killed by stray bullets so we don't fight where they are. And when one avatar dies, I send out another, while still safe in my VR bed.

The idea that a 10Km x 10Km continent is small makes me wonder, have we measured the current continents? The most I have seen any way point is like 5Km from my current position and that normally when I log in at the warp gate and the fighting is at least half a continent away. My best guess is that the current continents are 10x10Km at most, probably closer to 7km sq.

I would think that having a large city-scape, you would never own it all, as it would be impossible and of course the Warp-Gate districts would not be convertible. However, capturing the financial district, Central Park, tightly packed slum lord buildings, and high rise apartments with catwalks on the tenth and 20th floors would be awesome. I can still see however, the planes hovering outside buildings, bombarding the infantry through the windows with explosives, and tank columns doing the same thing.

It won't get rid of the zerg either, squad leader drops a spawn beacon on the roof or deploys a sundie in the parking garage on the ground floor. Everyone spawns from that building and zergs the one next door.

Even though there are still some things that would need to be tweaked to make it work, I still love the idea!
Old 2013-03-02, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

That would be an interesting twist if we were all playing the movie Gamer.
Old 2013-03-07, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Brogan
Private

One cool thing that they could do is place them at a spot where most of the roads converge (which being a city with people coming in and out, makes perfect sense). It's the same reason why the crown is so hotly contested. All roads lead to it. Now I would still allow it to be easily avoided, but if the major lanes of travel all lead to it with roughly equal times to get there (a road can wind with cliffs to either side, equalling out relative distance to warpgates) Possibly because of this reason alone will it be important. If (a very big if) you can secure it, you can stop an enemy advance and have the ability to strike virtually anywhere utilizing the highways. It could be made a neutral zone even. While not granting some special award up front, it opens the way to gain territories that do. (literally and figuratively)

Last edited by Brogan; 2013-03-07 at 10:07 AM.
Old 2013-03-07, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Noxxia
ReachCast Show

I think the only problem with urban content is players then want to be able to enter the buildings. Then there's the current view distance, which is huge, and rendering all of these objects. It would surely take it's tole in terms of performance. There's also the problem of model reuse without making it bland and boring, as well as the time and effort into making, skinning, and applying the appropriate code to each mode. I really really want a city, i just don't imagine it being realistic at the time.
Old 2013-03-07, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Unless I'm mistaken, ForgeLight supports Object Occlusion Rendering LOD.

I don't have a source for that however.
Old 2013-03-07, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Noxxia
ReachCast Show

Forgelight is pretty impressive That would be awesome if it can handle it. Still doesn't solve the unique model problem though sadly.
Old 2013-03-15, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
DemoTape
Private

We need more devs to look at this!
Old 2013-03-16, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
luketopian
Private

I decided to do a rough drawing of what I thought the city could possibly look like. Here is a quick over view of what all it means.

The city is situated on three islands, one main and two smaller secondary islands. Two bridges connect the main to the south-wast island and 3 connect the Main to the Eastern Island. Another bridge crosses through the norther harbor area. The White circles are the Warp Gates. The thick black lines are the main avenues / roads. the thinner grey lines are the secondary roads (Note: I didn't draw all of the secondary roads). The light-green is residential zones, blue is commercial, yellow is industrial, the two blue-green areas are parks, and the dark green are undeveloped areas. The yellow area in the north of the commercial zone is a harbor. The pentagon is a bio-lab, the rectangle is the tech-plant, and the triangle is an Amp station.

So give me your opinion.

Somethings that I like about this design is that the bridges would possibly give some intense and epic bridge battles.

Last edited by luketopian; 2013-03-16 at 01:20 PM.
Old 2013-03-16, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
In my estimation, we are getting urban combat by default. Bases are much larger than in PS1, with multiple sections that can be captured independently.
I don't feel they are actually larger personally. The court yard is larger and more spread out but In PS1 you typically had 3 intricate sub levels to bases, a ground floor, a second floor, and at times a small 3rd. We have these massive structures but their is nothing to them, they are there just to look pretty.
Old 2013-03-16, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Carbon Copied
First Sergeant

Like its been said before about it fitting into the Planetside 2 lore I'm not sure how it'd sit (both in game and on a performance level). As well as the potential for subterranean facilities on current continents one suggestion could be the use of the original Vanu alien ruins that have been excavated/undiscovered since long abandoned and reclaimed by the landscape and environment (using Vanu architecture - with NS excavation huts/outposts to give the human influence) similar to how the city scape of Ruin has been reclaimed by nature

(Ruin video that's 8min long)

This could give more backbone to the story as well as giving something different from conventional "small map urban warfare on a big scale". It needs to be a good mix I think rather than the entire continent being a series of roads and corridors. Thats not to say they might not have a place in parts of the map though as far as transportation and the "map autobahn".

Last edited by Carbon Copied; 2013-03-16 at 01:56 PM.
Old 2013-04-11, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

take a map of amerish, overlay the city of chicago on top of it, for example, and you have something I would play. Bonus points if we can destroy/repair buildings.
Old 2013-04-11, 03:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Artimus
Master Sergeant

I thought the lore said that Cyssor was the civilian inhabit cont. I could be wrong. I also remember reading that the NC have underground cities somewhere.
Old 2013-04-11, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Rothnang
Major

They have previously said that they like the idea, but the technology isn't quite up to par just yet. It probably mostly comes down to aircraft in an urban setting, imagine going up to 200 meters and just looking toward the horizon in a fully built up city-continent. You'd be rendering hundreds, if not thousands of houses all at the same time. Same would happen if you look around from the top of a skyscraper.
Old 2013-04-11, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

I think that it would be cool if it built up from the surrounding sides to the middle (like every other continent). There needs to be small suburbs around the outsides near the wgs, then start building up to like the middle ring to small warehouses, small apartment buildings, etc. Then in the middle there are like the twin towers almost, very large, each of them has stairs and stories, no other design in them because on that continent they were a "work in progress" that was never finished by its previous inhabitants.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault