Gameplay: Max Unit Shield - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sporks are better
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-07, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Max Unit Shield

It might already be too late to see something like this on release day, but maybe post-release. Anyways, I'm curious if SOE has ever considered giving MAX units an actual, physical shield. Well, Physical for TR and NC at least, I imagine the Vanu will have some fancy force-shield. Customizing your max to substitute one (both would be a bit silly) of your guns for a large tower shield. The ability to trade out some of your firepower for additional health/armor would open up more options and gameplay styles. For instance: a coordinated squad use maxes like this in base assaults as a way of providing a moving wall of cover for the infantry behind them.

What do you guys think? Yay or Nay?
Old 2012-06-07, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Re: Max Unit Shield

If balanced properly it would be cool; if not, it would be a nightmare.
Old 2012-06-07, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
AssassinGT
Private

That would be a fantastic idea. I mean honestly, the MAX is only used as an offensive tool, but given the traits like this shield it could be used as a defensive guard. Might be OP'd but it's worth a try.
Old 2012-06-07, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by PlaceboCyanide View Post
It might already be too late to see something like this on release day, but maybe post-release. Anyways, I'm curious if SOE has ever considered giving MAX units an actual, physical shield. Well, Physical for TR and NC at least, I imagine the Vanu will have some fancy force-shield. Customizing your max to substitute one (both would be a bit silly) of your guns for a large tower shield. The ability to trade out some of your firepower for additional health/armor would open up more options and gameplay styles. For instance: a coordinated squad use maxes like this in base assaults as a way of providing a moving wall of cover for the infantry behind them.

What do you guys think? Yay or Nay?
Placebo.... why did you have to bring this up?...... now I feel compelled to draw art for it. I'll see if I can get some concept art up sometime to get more attention to this idea.

I'm a HUGE fan of physical metal shields. I also think if the MAX had some sort of heavy armor front protection (but not the back or sides obviously, in place of one of the weapons, it'd be more than balanced. A nice breaching tool.
Old 2012-06-07, 02:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
NoKitty
Private

This idea is great. I think it's balanced in that it takes half of the MAXs DPS.

It gives the MAX class more versatility, opens new playstyles, strategies, and teamwork compositions.
Old 2012-06-07, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
SoNaR
Corporal

Misc Info

I had an idea similar to this but I guess you beat me to it. :P

+1 I like
Old 2012-06-07, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Zekeen
Major

I had this idea as well a week or so ago, here's my proof!

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
I too have thought of this. Maybe a single hand wielded weapon like a large handgun/smg and a shield.

There could also be a MELEE weapon used in one arm for those extra close encounters. I wonder if I have the talent to draw a MAX suit... they are rather complex.
If several people have the same idea and everyone wants something like it... then it must be good!!!
Old 2012-06-07, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Demarkin
Private

Ohhh, maybe even have the ability to customize the design on the front of the shield for outfit specific logos, or just to show off!
Old 2012-06-07, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Oh good thinking Demarkin! that would be the absolute best position to show off your outfit's insignia

I'm really glad everyone likes the idea, and I'm very excited to see any mockups you might do Zekeen
Old 2012-06-07, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Purple
Sergeant Major

if this happen then they would have to make sure any kind of mele on maxes are disabled. we dont want to see a munch of warriors running around.
Old 2012-06-07, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
if this happen then they would have to make sure any kind of mele on maxes are disabled. we dont want to see a munch of warriors running around.
Given how slow and clunky the max suits are people would be severely limiting themselves. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're assuming that people will equip a shield, a sword and just go to town. If they were to do that they would have zero ranged capability whatsoever. I think it is safe to say the max would get demolished as he got kited around, but hey - if that's what the people want to do then I say let them, it'll be fun to kill those warriors
Old 2012-06-07, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SoNaR
Corporal

Misc Info

Yeah would be cool if the MAXes could use a sword (or flamethrower ) AND a shield. In terms of balance, its like PlaceboCyanide said, people could just kite them since they would have almost 0 ranged capabilities and they would only be useful in CQC since you cant kill a tank or aircraft with a sword or flamethrower (right? lol).
Hell and if that's not enough add a movement penalty when using a shield, remove a few armor plates so infantry do extra damage when shooting them in the rear, and give the shield X amount of HP before it gets destroyed... :P

Last edited by SoNaR; 2012-06-07 at 01:23 PM.
Old 2012-06-07, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Zekeen
Major

Had a LOT of trouble with my computer so I lost some really cool shapes and it didn't end out as well as I hoped. First coloring file corrupted and I had to recolor and shade. But this is what I got so far for art.

Vanu MAX shield. (If I start with Vanu, the TR and NC shields will look better hehe)

Old 2012-06-08, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Looks awesome man, much better than the Vanu shield I envisioned. Keep up the good work man.
Old 2012-06-08, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
FreekilXAlpha
Private

Sounds like you want to add Riot shields to the MAXes, which could work depending on how its used. I would prefer to use them as toggle-able "weapons" (fire that arm to turn on/off), so when they are turned on they block the majority of your screen (except for a smaller slit).

Also would be cool if each empire had some bonuses/penalties with their shields, IE:

VS: Made out of energy so you can see out of all of it, and when destroyed it can regen (would take a considerable period of time) but is the weakest shield and you cant use your other weapon when wielding it, and it slows your max a little bit.

TR: More of a standard riot shield, but its made in such a way that the max can utilize its other weapon when wielding it and it doesn't slow your max down when brought up, has a view slit.

NC: Heavy shield with a view slit that slows the max down quite a bit, but it can take the most damage before being destroyed, but like the vanu shield you cannot use your other weapon when its is being used

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault