Continent Ideas - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Why your girlfriend left
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-11, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rexdezi
Sergeant

Continent Ideas

So I know a lot of you have a ton of ideas for new continents. I never played Planetside 1, but have heard a that there were a lot more than 3 continents. And while I have been rummaging around these forums I didn't see a place where peoples ideas are all in the same place. So thats what this is.

If you have an idea for a new continent, come here and write it down. Give some image links to let us visualise exactly what you mean etc. Have at!
Old 2012-06-11, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rexdezi
Sergeant

Re: Continent Ideas

Ok, seeing as how I made this thread, I should go first
I envisage a continent that is completely city covered. No rolling hills or rocky outcrops. The whole thing is buildings and roads and factories etc.
I got this idea from things like Warhammer 40,000 and Fallout 3. If any of you have played the tabletop game, or played games like Space Marine or Dawn of War.. You will have seen the forge worlds, where the entire planet is completely covered in factories, manufactorums, living quarters for those working there, and of course church like structures to worship the Emperor :P

As I said, the entire continent would be city based, and the kinds of capture points you would have are prominent factories that refine Auraxium or other precious metals. I think this kind of location would be intense for both infantry, armour and air, and I think it would see a lot more teamwork between them. For instance, with the enclosed nature of the streets (a lot of streets could be inaccessible by armour with rubble and such) Tanks could hide around corners, and if you have armour of your own moving up, then you would need the infantry/air to spot said armour.

Some Images as to what my thought process was in imagining this city continent:

Old 2012-06-11, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

I like the miles and miles of urban city, but I think an entire continent would be too much. Perhaps 2 or 3 massively urban areas on a continent connected by major highways. Perhaps with smaller towns in between. And then the land could have different terrain types in between.

Btw, thanks for starting a tread like this, I had already been thinking the same thing.

My Idea:

In the center of a continent, a large old-growth forest with massive towering trees the reach a hundred and fifty feet in the air. The trees would be tightly packed together making it impossible (or at least extremely difficult) for large vehicles or planes to penetrate it. However there would be space between the bases of the trees for infantry and the Flash to go. The ground would be uneven and hilly, with ridges and gullies, and would be cover with thick vegitation.

In the center of this forest would be a Biolab. Three large roads would lead to the base from differnt sides. Out in the deep trees would be the sub-stations to be captured that would grant control to the surrounding forest. The deep forest would be cloaked in shadows all day low and would be nearly pitch black at night with only small spots in the canopy open to the sky.

Bonus: Elevated walk-ways made from wood (ala Ewok villiage style)

The forest would tapper off in all directions and give way to low brambles of trees and scrub land. The land would slope down to the ocean where the fawna would be more tropical.

Old 2012-06-12, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
kunzadar
Corporal

I would like to see an island chain. Lots of small islands connected by bridges. Maybe with some under water facilities. The islands would need to have mostly steep cliffs with only a few beaches, so the vanu tanks wouldn't have too big of an advantage.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Make the trees wide enough for good (or foolish) pilots to fly though!
Old 2012-06-12, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rexdezi
Sergeant

Originally Posted by The Degenatron View Post
I like the miles and miles of urban city, but I think an entire continent would be too much. Perhaps 2 or 3 massively urban areas on a continent connected by major highways. Perhaps with smaller towns in between. And then the land could have different terrain types in between.
I hadn't thought of highways but I do like that idea very much... maybe some of the highways have been destroyed and fallen down or something... very cool idea

Originally Posted by The Degenatron
Btw, thanks for starting a tread like this, I had already been thinking the same thing.
You're very welcome

Originally Posted by The Degenatron
My Idea:

In the center of a continent, a large old-growth forest with massive towering trees the reach a hundred and fifty feet in the air. The trees would be tightly packed together making it impossible (or at least extremely difficult) for large vehicles or planes to penetrate it. However there would be space between the bases of the trees for infantry and the Flash to go. The ground would be uneven and hilly, with ridges and gullies, and would be cover with thick vegitation.

In the center of this forest would be a Biolab. Three large roads would lead to the base from differnt sides. Out in the deep trees would be the sub-stations to be captured that would grant control to the surrounding forest. The deep forest would be cloaked in shadows all day low and would be nearly pitch black at night with only small spots in the canopy open to the sky.

Bonus: Elevated walk-ways made from wood (ala Ewok villiage style)

The forest would tapper off in all directions and give way to low brambles of trees and scrub land. The land would slope down to the ocean where the fawna would be more tropical.
Maybe make it so that there is just enough space for very skilled pilots to fly through... and it sounds like Vanu will be king here with their amazing maneuverability. But yeah, love the idea
Old 2012-06-12, 07:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

+1 for this whole thread.

Yes to the urban continent (and the city-centers with suburb/township style terrain surrounding). Yes to the forest w/ biolab and roadways (could see a lot of potential for ambushing vehicles here, essentially making the biolab battle an Infantry-only fight; would be kinda fun I think and a bit of a change-up in game play -- variety is always good). And yes to the island chains. I believe it was Amerish that had a similar layout -- lots of (not-so-small) islands that are close together and connected by bridges; bridge battles were fucking amazing, need to get those back.

EDIT: It was Cyssor that I was thinking of.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rexdezi
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Saifoda View Post
+1 for this whole thread.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Saifoda View Post
Yes to the urban continent (and the city-centers with suburb/township style terrain surrounding). Yes to the forest w/ biolab and roadways (could see a lot of potential for ambushing vehicles here, essentially making the biolab battle an Infantry-only fight; would be kinda fun I think and a bit of a change-up in game play -- variety is always good). And yes to the island chains. I believe it was Amerish that had a similar layout -- lots of (not-so-small) islands that are close together and connected by bridges; bridge battles were fucking amazing, need to get those back.

EDIT: It was Cyssor that I was thinking of.
Having not been a PS player, I can't exactly comment on previous continents, but I think a bridge would be amazing to fight on. Maybe having a large base connected to other islands by 4 or 5 different bridges and the defenders trying to fight off invaders from each one. I could see it being smack bang in the middle of the continent, so that it was more likely to be a 3 way contested area. Shouls be pretty hard to take, and therefore have a rather huge resources bonus
Old 2012-06-13, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rexdezi
Sergeant

bump for people who can't be bothered looking at page 2
Old 2012-06-13, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Xazbot
Private

I would suggest for the continent layout a city in the center of the map and the factions foothold at the edges. That way it would be possible to have an epic city assault where we could have an army caravan going into the city. Can you imagine that scene? Whrecked city in the horizon massive force rushing in.
Old 2012-06-17, 05:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Vertigo
Private

I would also suggest that not all the capture points be factories. Perhaps using the territory control system to create "districts" that can be captured. Whatever faction owns the district has their banners on light posts and the sides of buildings / billboards. Towers and other secondary control points could consist of highrise buildings and police / fire stations. Main capture points could be the aforementioned factories, but also government and corporate buildings. Such as the Nanite Systems Corporate HQ and the offices of the planetary government to name a few.

As for the landscape, having the whole city be smoking ruins might not be the best option. Having a relatively intact urban center gives a better aesthetic, and lowers the poly count. I figure roughly half the continent made up of urban / sub-urban environment and the rest sparsely developed industrial.
Old 2012-06-17, 05:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Tikuto
Major

Lightbulb Floating Surfaces

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=42732
Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
The most alienating continent(s).
The most fascinating continent(s).
The most anti-aircraft continent(s), too!

Science
To back this up vaguely, we're on another planet terra-formed and Earth-like with an important moon except there's other big ass celestial objects. This effects gravity, atmosphere, wind, and all of everything but let's just say that Earth-like moon is stabilizing humanity's place on this planet somehow.

Reference
Refering to Avatar's Hallelujah Mountains they are beautiful and offer heightened levels of aerial combat, spectacular aerobatic stunts and increase ground safety from aircrafts. One of the 'Vanu-like homeland' continents would have this as their advantage. Their aircraft are already very maneuverable able to dodge these floating mountains easier than the other empire's aircraft.

Design
Searhus and Ceryshen had high mountains. This violent Volcano of Searhus and spiked Alpine of Ceryshen would show-off some alien environments beautifully:

Design of Searhus Volcano: Old erupted magma travelled too high became trapped in some magnetic magic collected as whole boulders with some swirling debris. These solidified to create mountains. One super-size floating mountain was knocked and crashed into side of volcano, cracked the tectonic plate and now steams with violent geezers where the ocean trickles-in sometimes, which is all surrounded by alien reef and forest cultivation. It also acts as a duct for lava and magma if ever volcano erupted in future.
· These are exposed platforms where you are HIGHLY vulnerable to aircraft.

Design of Ceryshen Alpine: The highest peak has lesser nearby peaks. They look like upside-down blinding reflective-shiney icicles because of their gravitational pull towards space and repeated melting from alien Sun, and maybe a bit wriggly. These peaks have a frozen platform which develop from passing clouds at sun-down and melt and sun-rise, and some had accumulated too much weight and broke-off to form contemporary floating icebergs lost amongst dense snow-clouds.
· These are harsh platforms where you may slip and slide off to die.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2012-06-17 at 05:35 AM.
Old 2012-06-17, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rexdezi
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
I would also suggest that not all the capture points be factories. Perhaps using the territory control system to create "districts" that can be captured. Whatever faction owns the district has their banners on light posts and the sides of buildings / billboards. Towers and other secondary control points could consist of highrise buildings and police / fire stations. Main capture points could be the aforementioned factories, but also government and corporate buildings. Such as the Nanite Systems Corporate HQ and the offices of the planetary government to name a few.

As for the landscape, having the whole city be smoking ruins might not be the best option. Having a relatively intact urban center gives a better aesthetic, and lowers the poly count. I figure roughly half the continent made up of urban / sub-urban environment and the rest sparsely developed industrial.
Ah sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough, I didn't mean EVERY cap point be a factory, gov buildings, hospitals, schools, etc are all great places too
Old 2012-06-18, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rexdezi View Post
Ok, seeing as how I made this thread, I should go first
I envisage a continent that is completely city covered. No rolling hills or rocky outcrops. The whole thing is buildings and roads and factories etc.
I got this idea from things like Warhammer 40,000 and Fallout 3. If any of you have played the tabletop game, or played games like Space Marine or Dawn of War.. You will have seen the forge worlds, where the entire planet is completely covered in factories, manufactorums, living quarters for those working there, and of course church like structures to worship the Emperor :P

As I said, the entire continent would be city based, and the kinds of capture points you would have are prominent factories that refine Auraxium or other precious metals. I think this kind of location would be intense for both infantry, armour and air, and I think it would see a lot more teamwork between them. For instance, with the enclosed nature of the streets (a lot of streets could be inaccessible by armour with rubble and such) Tanks could hide around corners, and if you have armour of your own moving up, then you would need the infantry/air to spot said armour.

Some Images as to what my thought process was in imagining this city continent:
I would hope Trammel is all over this Urban Wasteland since he did have hands in the Fallout Series.
Old 2012-06-19, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rexdezi
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrSmegz View Post
I would hope Trammel is all over this Urban Wasteland since he did have hands in the Fallout Series.
forgive my newbery... Trammel is a PS2 dev too?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault