Do planetside players have legit concerns or do they just hate to evolve? - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where good guys turn bad
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-19, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
goneglockin
Sergeant

Re: Do planetside players have legit concerns or do they just hate to evolve?

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
goneglockin I'm not quite sure who you are but you have done a rather good job of trying to stereotype every PlanetSide vet and at the same time alienating yourself.
8-9 years later and I've still got it. Who knew. I was one of the few vets from the beginning who regularly had it out with loyal PS fans who thought SOE's design decisions were infallible.

I do think it's rather amusing that many of the things I suggested years ago are now cropping up in the sequel; and I believe the OP has a point that most PS vets will raise a stink about it. My point is this though- a consensus of PS1 vets already had their way last time and look how that turned out.

I was shouted down at every turn, the vehicle buff, the decimator nerf, the max buff... PS1's infantry game wasn't that great at the start and all the buffs/nerfs made it less enjoyable each time.

Why all the hate against infantry? Because PS1 vets, the ones who were left when the dust cleared, wanted to farm squishies. That was PlanetSide for them. Doesn't work out so well when the squishies, your average players, not finding manning a vehicle turret a compelling game experience, left.

What would have been great about PlanetSide, was the choice of where you wanted to make a difference and how you wanted to fight your battles. At least in the beginning. Then vehicleside took over and the game turned into a boring cycle. Farm squishies footzerging until the barrel of your vanguard is sticking in the front door of a bio lab; and then line up more people on your end of the hallway and press w to move forward and left click to shoot.

It was awful. If I had my way, I would chose to always be infantry, and would chose to never waste my time taking AV shots at a vehicle only to have it run behind a hill and come back fully repaired a minute later. Let vehicles fight other vehicles. Make it interesting and customizable. Let the players decide where to put their armor. What kind of weapons to have on it. Just leave infantry out of it, let them have the whole base SOI to fight in without being harassed by a PS1 vet mozzie farmer patting himself on the back for "tactics."

Last edited by goneglockin; 2012-05-19 at 07:25 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

So you want a game without vehicles at all.

Old 2012-05-19, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Nice job reading. He didn't say that at all.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-05-19 at 07:37 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Nice job reading.
Well I don't think he said he wants to be a Power Ranger.

Old 2012-05-19, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
goneglockin
Sergeant

No. Just one where infantry gets to make a choice whether or not they want to waste their time fighting vehicles. And no, being forced to pull a vehicle or be farmed by vehicles is not a choice.

Ideally, vehicles should fight other vehicles and infantry should get to fight other infantry, both going on during the same base cap, without having such distinct phases where you either participate in vehicleside or get farmed.
Old 2012-05-19, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Well I don't think he said he wants to be a Power Ranger.
Originally Posted by goneglockin View Post
Let the players decide where to put their armor. What kind of weapons to have on it. Just leave infantry out of it, let them have the whole base SOI to fight in without being harassed by a PS1 vet mozzie farmer patting himself on the back for "tactics."
I wanna be the red ranger.
Old 2012-05-19, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

So you don't want vehicles getting inside bases... that was a bug. Or are you asking for arbitrary invisible walls that vehicles can't cross so dirteaters don't have to worry about being run over?

Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion