Thrustpad [Jump Pad] Poll - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Still can't find the bathrooms at Gunuku...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Jump Pads (as seen)?
Yes 105 56.45%
No 81 43.55%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-17, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Vash02
Major

Re: Jump Pad Poll

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
It's far less "ugly" than magically floating along a beam of light which has been "Planetside style" for years.
Cave combat was never the main attraction of Planetside, more like a chore you had to go through. Don't make it out as if it was an integral part of it.

Also, there have been some people arguing against fast travel like this, though they are few and far between. I still like it far better than teleporters because you are exposed to enemy fire which gives a cost to the fast travel.
There is a multitude of ways you can add a cost to using teleporters. Like a chance of coming out the other side coated in burning plasma, or you're implants are fried for a minute or so, etc.

Though I favour having a quick traveling platform to carry you around the walls.
http://youtu.be/Q2YQkjhKNfw?t=6m10s

Last edited by Vash02; 2012-05-17 at 06:42 PM.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
So hate them because they weren't as good as somebody else even though they accomplished some what a lot...WTF? is wrong with u?
No. That's not why.

I hope you're able to comprehend this extremely simple infographic:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla
Old 2012-05-17, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
So hate them because they weren't as good as somebody else even though they accomplished some what a lot...WTF? is wrong with u?
I hate them because they took credit for other peoples inventions. It's like Al Gore saying he invented the internet when really he just authorised the funding.
Old 2012-05-17, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
I hate them because they took credit for other peoples inventions. It's like Al Gore saying he invented the internet when really he just authorised the funding.
Thanks once more.
Old 2012-05-17, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
XPquant
Sergeant

I think any kind of fast transit defeats the purpose of its size, you put something far away to create distance, fast travel elemenates that so I cannot be used tactically or strategically.
Old 2012-05-17, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by XPquant View Post
I think any kind of fast transit defeats the purpose of its size, you put something far away to create distance, fast travel elemenates that so I cannot be used tactically or strategically.
That would be true if you could travel from anywhere to anywhere. The jump pads are only in very very limited locations. In fact it appears there are only a handful in the entire base. The scale will always be important.

Old 2012-05-17, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Toppopia
Major

Why has no one discussed what would happen if 2 people used opposite pads? Mid-air collisions all round. I would prefer something like a nanite bridge that materialised when you walked on a pad, i would only want these jump pads be used to get from 1 location up to another that is maybe a short distance away. Because nanites forming a bridge is soo cooler than a man flying through the air
Old 2012-05-17, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Why has no one discussed what would happen if 2 people used opposite pads? Mid-air collisions all round. I would prefer something like a nanite bridge that materialised when you walked on a pad, i would only want these jump pads be used to get from 1 location up to another that is maybe a short distance away. Because nanites forming a bridge is soo cooler than a man flying through the air
What makes you think jump pads on opposing sides would even be lined up into each other's paths?
Old 2012-05-17, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by XPquant View Post
I think it makes the base more efficient. It is more of a benefit when the base is not contested, you can get where you need to go more quickly without having to run forever.

When the base is contested it is less safe to use them since they are so exposed.

When you add in the possibility of ownership of the jump pads (and the possibility of taking ownership) there is a bunch of new stuff coming out that changes the dynamic of base defense and offense.
Old 2012-05-17, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Well as for the mancannons I like them, they inject some fun as to what would otherwise be a fairly serious sci fi mmo fps.

And from a sniperz perspective I absolutely love them, its gonna be like skeet shooting.

Last edited by Sledgecrushr; 2012-05-17 at 07:05 PM.
Old 2012-05-17, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Honestly I don't dig these jump pads. First because you're jumping to the exterior what is kinda silly and they are available both to attackers and defenders from what I've seen. However I understand the need to quickly get from one place to another within base but I'd prefer Teleporter pads which could only take you to the friendly controlled parts of the base so you can get some separation between your troops and the enemy.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Here is my current idea for improving the jump pads.

Old 2012-05-17, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
What makes you think jump pads on opposing sides would even be lined up into each other's paths?
Because in the video there was only 1 pad facing 1 direction, and the person landing was landing 2 metres away from the sender pad, so they were in direct line of each other.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post

Yip, perfect, allows organised people to do a proper assault, not 1 person flying at a time, and would look awesome and removes funny bird people flying through the air
Old 2012-05-17, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post

That would be like getting fired out of a cannon while inside a beer can. I like the jump pads because there is a bit of risk using them while you are in a fight and it would be fun to use them to quickly move about the outer defensive perimeter. Did I mention that it looked to be a lot of fun?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion