Base Design Variety? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: the most interesting website in the world.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Bases - Walls or Not, movement options
All bases have no walls and jump pads to defensive positions 1 1.45%
All bases have no walls and teleports to defensive positions 1 1.45%
All bases have walls and you walk/lift-tube up 22 31.88%
Some bases have walls and some not 45 65.22%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-19, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Re: Base Design Variety?

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Hmmmm.

As for not having any circumvallation walls...what if there were deployable shield generators that you could use, not to make a dome shaped shield, but that you could set up between two buildings in order to create a shield running between the two?

Of course that doesn't solve the problem of no base walls that you can run on that provide an excuse for jump pads.
I like this idea in general for a strategic deployable.
Old 2012-05-19, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
mynameismud
Corporal

honestly im more concerned by the lack of interiors than the lack of walls. Every base seems like a real big main building with nothing connected, and a bunch of other smaller buildings not connected.

In planetside one you would fight for hours inside a base, it was where infantry fights were the most fun, you would fight for just the chance to see daylight. Those were my favorites moments of PS1, epic hour long base defenses only to have the perfect OS strike to clear the courtyard long enough for the last ditch ANT run to make it through their offensives. That was all good and fun, i can move on and adapt.

But with the bases ive seen, when your base is getting hella jacked by enemy aircraft what can you do? AA works a bit, but in the first one that shit wasnt the answer forever. I remember tons of fights where our empire lost the vehicle fight and lost the courtyard, if you even stepped by a door outside you were spammed by 4 reavers. You gathered forces dug in deep, and waited for an opportunistic time to push out.

What will happen when you lose the vehicle fight and every open door only leads to outside and is having rockets spammed in them? I know they wanted to change bases up to have less bottlenecks, but having majority of the bases be open and outside makes me think ima get raped by air every time i defend, AA dont work if you cant step outside without getting blown up in the first place
Old 2012-05-19, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by mynameismud View Post
honestly im more concerned by the lack of interiors than the lack of walls. Every base seems like a real big main building with nothing connected, and a bunch of other smaller buildings not connected.

In planetside one you would fight for hours inside a base, it was where infantry fights were the most fun, you would fight for just the chance to see daylight. Those were my favorites moments of PS1, epic hour long base defenses only to have the perfect OS strike to clear the courtyard long enough for the last ditch ANT run to make it through their offensives. That was all good and fun, i can move on and adapt.

But with the bases ive seen, when your base is getting hella jacked by enemy aircraft what can you do? AA works a bit, but in the first one that shit wasnt the answer forever. I remember tons of fights where our empire lost the vehicle fight and lost the courtyard, if you even stepped by a door outside you were spammed by 4 reavers. You gathered forces dug in deep, and waited for an opportunistic time to push out.

What will happen when you lose the vehicle fight and every open door only leads to outside and is having rockets spammed in them? I know they wanted to change bases up to have less bottlenecks, but having majority of the bases be open and outside makes me think ima get raped by air every time i defend, AA dont work if you cant step outside without getting blown up in the first place
If we are lucky then that is only 1 base design, and hopefully others are almost all infantry only or fully walled so not even air vehicles can get in etc, we will have to wait and see what the designs are.
Old 2012-05-19, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

You will have tanks camping exits and Reavers camping Jump Pad exits as well once you lose the court yard. That's why i would rather have fully enclosed bases. Hell if the point is that walls give the offense too much of a disadvantage , maybe a fully enclosed base with 5 gates rather than the PS1 2 gate walled base would help.
Old 2012-05-19, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I get the impression that each base is more like a multiple structure complex that you take in segments. So more like how PS 1 would have been if each base had instead been a Tech Plant, Bio Lab, Amp Station, and Interlink surrounding and connected to a Dropship Center.

Old 2012-05-20, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
I get the impression that each base is more like a multiple structure complex that you take in segments. So more like how PS 1 would have been if each base had instead been a Tech Plant, Bio Lab, Amp Station, and Interlink surrounding and connected to a Dropship Center.
Yeah, Higby spoke in those terms early on about how base caps would work.

It's good to see how open-minded peeps have been on the poll. The "no-change" group is there, and that's cool, but there's a large majority who want to see variety in the base design. So if that means a few bases are a bit "wacky", well us Vanu have our say in town planning on Auraxis too!

I have to say though, that the enormous battle you would have to take the base in the OP would be, for me, a defining moment of PS2 compared to PS1
Old 2012-05-20, 01:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
Yeah, Higby spoke in those terms early on about how base caps would work.

It's good to see how open-minded peeps have been on the poll. The "no-change" group is there, and that's cool, but there's a large majority who want to see variety in the base design. So if that means a few bases are a bit "wacky", well us Vanu have our say in town planning on Auraxis too!

I have to say though, that the enormous battle you would have to take the base in the OP would be, for me, a defining moment of PS2 compared to PS1
These results show that everyone wants walls or some kind in bases, so as long as instead of walls maybe have some natural defence feature that still makes it hard to attack, like cliffs or something. Imagine rock climbing gear and a small advanced force slowly climbing a cliff side. Amazing
Old 2012-05-20, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Mechzz
Major

I just noticed in TB's night ops vid at 14:00 that the wreck of a lightning ends up between 2 towers.

If the wrecks lasted long enough, should the defenders get the ability to move them into position as cover?
Old 2012-05-20, 02:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
I just noticed in TB's night ops vid at 14:00 that the wreck of a lightning ends up between 2 towers.

If the wrecks lasted long enough, should the defenders get the ability to move them into position as cover?
That would be amazing, i'm hoping engineers can place deployable cover so that we won't need wreckage or else you would have to destroy friendly tanks to get cover early on the fight.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
That would be amazing, i'm hoping engineers can place deployable cover so that we won't need wreckage or else you would have to destroy friendly tanks to get cover early on the fight.
No, no, I love the idea of deployable cover as well, especially something on the scale of a base wall. Should maybe take 2-3 engies working together to put up a full curtain wall, but that would be a great addition to the game.

But I also like the idea of filling in the gaps with some wrecks at least in the early stage of a base defence. Practicality depends on how long the wrecks stay in the environment for, I guess. Less than pleasant to see your base "walls" go ***puff*** in a haze of purple smoke after 5-10 mins lol
Old 2012-05-20, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
RSphil
Contributor
Major

id like to see all sorts of bases. i like variety as this makes attacking the bases different alot of the time. plus we could have bases in different states of build.

will be interesting to see what the final bases will look like but i hope there will be alot of variety
Old 2012-05-20, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

In terms of interior fight I think the biolab will provide.
It's a giant mushroom base standing on support pillars.
So no airchav will be spamming the troops, tanks have certain bottlenecks that cannot pass (lookup the Higby 45 minute demo)

Straight up coridoor fights are mostly boring so I can live without much of that.

handy links
PlanetSide-2-tech-plant-concept
image-of-amp-station
Biolab-exterior
Sadly the biolab pic is one fo the worst but it gives a general impression.
The Higby video shows more
#edit# the first few minutes they start by defending a biolab1:05, later an amp stationgets attacked, 14:10 gives decent views.

Highly scripted encounters, but also well managed. It shows a full attack on an amp station spawnpoint.

p.s.
about time I used some source links with my posts.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-20 at 03:48 PM.
Old 2012-05-20, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Personally to me a base to be called a base should have complete walls and shields. Outposts can be without walls. For 1000's of years fortresses/castles and bases have been defended by walls/towers/fences to keep the enemy of the day out. To counter jetpacks just make the walls taller or the jetpacks only get a certain amount of height. Defending the walls of bases in the original game provided some of the best "planetside" moments 300 players assault a base defended from the walls by 80 or so people will provide the wow factor. Leaving a base open will make them extremely difficult to defend once you are even a little bit outnumbered.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-05-20, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Figment
Lieutenant General

I'd definitely like to see different levels of fortification. One of the biggest improvements I've seen sofar is roofs on the walls. Something Fort4Law suggested quite some time back.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-05-20 at 04:44 PM.
Old 2012-05-20, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Defending the walls of bases in the original game provided some of the best "planetside" moments 300 players assault a base defended from the walls by 80 or so people will provide the wow factor. Leaving a base open will make them extremely difficult to defend once you are even a little bit outnumbered.
Moments indeed. The minute the liberators and aircraft turned up those 80 would be cowering inside the bases main entrances or looking at a respawn timer.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion