Aircraft Flares - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Loves furry chipmokes
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-19, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zulthus
Colonel

Aircraft Flares

I've noticed a lot of people talking about the flares on aircraft, and whether the universal launcher will have the same reload time as the refresh on the flares.

I propose a fix to this.

For those of you who haven't played ARMA, they have a flare system where you start with a set amount (let's say 30) and they have a chance of warding off enemy missiles. The more you use, the more likely you are to survive.

The system would work something like that. Obviously, you can't have a large amount of flares to where you can just keep spamming them, but I'd say 30-50 would be a good amount per aircraft.

This way, your missile still has a chance to hit the aircraft. It also prevents the badly implemented faster refresh of flares compared to AA launchers. It's fair for both sides... the aircraft's flares don't recharge but there isn't a delay on using them, and the infantry still has a chance of hitting the target.

Thoughts?
Old 2012-05-19, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Aircraft Flares

Another possible thing, that's not realistic but would prevent overpowered aircraft, is if flares will only break the lock of a certain number of AA launchers. ie, if flares will break a max of 3 locks, and 4 guys are firing at you, 1 is guaranteed to get through.

But I'm not sure why we should worry about balancing it properly, people want AA infantry to own aircraft on a 1 to 1 basis...
Old 2012-05-19, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I've noticed a lot of people talking about the flares on aircraft, and whether the universal launcher will have the same reload time as the refresh on the flares.

I propose a fix to this.

For those of you who haven't played ARMA, they have a flare system where you start with a set amount (let's say 30) and they have a chance of warding off enemy missiles. The more you use, the more likely you are to survive.

The system would work something like that. Obviously, you can't have a large amount of flares to where you can just keep spamming them, but I'd say 30-50 would be a good amount per aircraft.

This way, your missile still has a chance to hit the aircraft. It also prevents the badly implemented faster refresh of flares compared to AA launchers. It's fair for both sides... the aircraft's flares don't recharge but there isn't a delay on using them, and the infantry still has a chance of hitting the target.

Thoughts?
Only if... They look like this

Imagine at night time seeing a galaxy or something looking like that. Amazing!!
Old 2012-05-19, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Purple
Sergeant Major

i have played a game like to this. it is a great system. you can risk the missles getting very close but that often dident work well.
Old 2012-05-19, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post

That's pretty much the idea. The galaxy would obviously have flares more like that because it's a bigger aircraft and needs more protection against missiles. Man, that would be amazing at night...
Old 2012-05-19, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Freevoi
Private

i second this motion. could be possible aswell
Old 2012-05-19, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

I'm not sure this is a good idea given how easy it is to resupply an aircraft

I could just keep spamming flares during my attack run and never be harmed by missiles, the only downside being that I would need to fly back to an air tower/Sunderer more often

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2012-05-19 at 05:47 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
That's the little problem here. I can't really think of a solution... it wouldn't be fair to the pilots to not be able to resupply, but it wouldn't be fair to the infantry if they just have unlimited flares...

Maybe they could cost a small amount of resources after you use the ones that came with the aircraft?
Old 2012-05-19, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post

I could just keep spamming flares during my attack run and never be harmed by missiles, the only downside being that I would need to fly back to an air tower/Sunderer more often
Which means you are out of the fight for a longer time so the infantry has done his job, keeping aircraft away from the battle. So that is not over powered, its just you not being careful with your limited resources and you could last much longer if you paced yourself but you chose to be spammy with them and are no more useless in the fight. So problem solved.
Old 2012-05-19, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Purple
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
That's the little problem here. I can't really think of a solution... it wouldn't be fair to the pilots to not be able to resupply, but it wouldn't be fair to the infantry if they just have unlimited flares...

Maybe they could cost a small amount of resources after you use the ones that came with the aircraft?
and its unfair to the pilots that infantry can run back and grab more missiles! besides things like turrets and the TR max will teal aircraft apart.
Old 2012-05-19, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Zulthus
Colonel

Which means you are out of the fight for a longer time so the infantry has done his job, keeping aircraft away from the battle. So that is not over powered, its just you not being careful with your limited resources and you could last much longer if you paced yourself but you chose to be spammy with them and are no more useless in the fight. So problem solved.
This actually makes sense. You don't necessarily need to destroy the aircraft with ground AA, just keep him on his toes. Let your team's aircraft take them out. Infantry will just be good for keeping them away and being annoying.
Old 2012-05-19, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Meh, as long as Scythe and Mosquito, no idea about Reaver, can out run the missile under full burner I'd rather have aircraft randomly explode whenever they drop flares or activate afterburner.
Small chance, like 40-50%, higher if you do both flares and burner at the same time, like 90%.
Old 2012-05-19, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Biscuit
Sergeant

want to add that flares should be most effective if the aircraft is in a good amount of speed vs. a hovering aircraft.
Old 2012-05-19, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Toppopia
Major

Or make it so flares are only effective if missiles approach from behind, for some reason World in Conflict (RTS) did this with helicopters, even though the flares worked in all directions it said in the description. (Flares divert incoming missiles. Only effective against missiles approaching from behind) So maybe add a higher chance of avoidance if missiles come from behind, since flares are more of a retreating tool. so that would be good.
Old 2012-05-19, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Stardouser
Colonel

How about if flares have to be combined with movement? ie, not just magically make the missile break lock with flares alone? That way, firing a guided missile at aircraft will make it turn away from wherever it was going.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-19 at 06:47 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion