PSU: to see secret link press alt+F4
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2007-01-11, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: iPhone, not just a rumor any more

Oh apple, how I love thee. I am yet to be discontented with them now that I really think about it, the worse thing that has ever happened to me with them is the old ipod's moving parts breaking constantly. but they kept giving me free ones no prob, just exchanged my zune for a 5.5 video ipod and I have to say, this thing is fucking sleek as shit. In a good way of course. Posting this from a Powerbook G4.
Old 2007-01-11, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I have never been much of a fan of the Treo, I had one for a year or so at my last job and it was just shitty. I didn't like the interface, it froze on me here and there and PalmOS is just.. old. It's time for something new.

I got the Motorola Q for about a month, that thing was a serious piece of shit. Battery died in a day, lockups, crashes I got the F out of VZW before my 30 days - they still tried to charge me cancellation fee's but I fought the bastards and won.
Get one of the new Samsung Pocket PCs. Those things are the shizzle.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2007-01-12, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Infernus
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Heavygain View Post
Oh apple, how I love thee. I am yet to be discontented with them now that I really think about it, the worse thing that has ever happened to me with them is the old ipod's moving parts breaking constantly. but they kept giving me free ones no prob, just exchanged my zune for a 5.5 video ipod and I have to say, this thing is fucking sleek as shit. In a good way of course. Posting this from a Powerbook G4.
12, 17, or 15 inch?

I was really upset that they didnt bring the 12 inch model along for the ride with the macbook pro...
Old 2007-01-12, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

What is the battery life on the iPhone supposed to be? I can watch a TV show on my iPod and have the battery go dead at the end of the show and still have my phone for 5 more days. With the iPhone, "Hello, sorry I missed your call but I watched an episode of MacGyver, please leave a message after the beep and I will get back to you after I have charged my iPhone and before I watch another episode of MacGyver."

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2007-01-12, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
What is the battery life on the iPhone supposed to be? I can watch a TV show on my iPod and have the battery go dead at the end of the show and still have my phone for 5 more days. With the iPhone, "Hello, sorry I missed your call but I watched an episode of MacGyver, please leave a message after the beep and I will get back to you after I have charged my iPhone and before I watch another episode of MacGyver."
Lol. Thats good
Old 2007-01-12, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Infernus View Post
12, 17, or 15 inch?

I was really upset that they didnt bring the 12 inch model along for the ride with the macbook pro...
17 inch
Old 2007-01-12, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Infernus
Lieutenant General

Nice, They're really nice machines, with the exception of that whole Power PC thing.
Old 2007-01-12, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

Agreed, I adore this thing. A) OSX my personal favorite OS now days. B) Laptops are really damn convenient.
Old 2007-01-12, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Infernus
Lieutenant General

Indeed.

thats all I can say
Old 2007-01-12, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Hamma
PSU Admin

Gryphon I think it has 2 batteries in it.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2007-01-13, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

I guess it isnt running OSX... http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...46234&from=rss
Old 2007-01-15, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

fuck apple.

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...e-similarities
Old 2007-01-15, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

The apple one looks better imo.
Old 2007-01-15, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Infernus
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Mag-Mower View Post
Actually it may very well be running some form of OS X.

As we all know, the iPods use ARM processors, and have for quite some time (since the second generation I beleive). Apple has never told anyone what OS they are using. The same way apple neglected to tell anyone that they had Mac OS X running on an intel machine in the basement at 1 Infinite Loop until they saw it as absolutely necessary.

Apple is a very very strong proponent of attention to detail, and if you haven't noticed the words OS X and Mac OS X get thrown around a lot. But a lot of people in the tech community beleive that they aren't being used interchangably.

A lot of people beleive that the iPod OS, and now the iPhone OS are derivatives of Mac OS X, called simply OS X.

If apple releases the OS information, building things for it gets a lot easier.

It should also be noted that is OS X is the iPod OS, then there is already third party development for it, in the form of the 5G games.

Let us also note that it might not be such a bad idea to use a different gui and a slightly different OS on a mobile device then the one used on a desktop or laptop computer. A launcher, rather then the finder is a pretty good idea, kind of like opening your applications folder rather then the entire finder. (or, in the case of windows CE, navigating the start menu).

And one more thing. Lets differentiate between the security of mobile OS's used by Microsoft and by Apple.

Apple doesn't care which OS you use on the iPod, it doesn't support running Linux on it, but it doesn't actively hunt people down and kill them for doing it. To them its still a hardware sale and in the end, thats where the cold hard cash comes in.

Microsoft, with the zune, on the other hand, does not let you fuck with the OS. They haven't released the OS at all to outside developers (you can argue that apple didn't either, but when they did release it, it was easy to understand why - they hadn't had any reason to yet.) Microsoft has every reason to. How many zune's have you seen since they were released? I haven't seen one. In a random sampling of college students that we did in my engineering class at University of Pittsburgh, only 2 out of 10 were able to say they didn't like it, the other 8 didn't even know what it was. If I were microsoft I'd be pushing that thing for all its worth.

Microsoft, no matter how big, is not invincible... and that worries me. Because the zune can easily be described as a failure, and because everyone seems to be more then a little - uneasy - with Vista (something that Microsoft has formally admitted they fucked up and that it will not be economically feasible for them to do again). Microsoft's stance in the market can easily slip.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge