World server locations and pop indicators - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's so scary you'll pee your Max.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-08-04, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


Originally Posted by TacosWLove View Post
The only other game I know that uses a single shard server cluster is eve. And the best way it works is by having them all in a single cluster(i.e. the same location). If they choose to have a single shard my bets is it would be on the East coast of the US. My pings dont get to bad when the trans Atlantic cable hasnt been cut and Hell, look at all the Chinese players that go through several proxies just to get on the US server and they dont seem to mind.
they dont mind with CSHD, change the netcode and it could be unplayable with over 100ping.
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Were you Aussies that common on Markov?
i can name afew off the top of my head.

Daredevil
pwnn00b
KICKSIS
Rav3n
brolli
0osh
Rol351
Hania
SyKO
Clev3r
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 03:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant
 
TerminatorUK's Avatar
 
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
they dont mind with CSHD, change the netcode and it could be unplayable with over 100ping.
This is a good point regarding hit detection. The devs confirmed PS2 would be a mix of client & server side hit detection. Hopefully all projectiles/gunplay will remain CSHD with server side vehicle collision detection to stop random [email protected] occuring. I think that would give the best of both worlds.
TerminatorUK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 04:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major
 
exLupo's Avatar
 
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


Single shard is super important for EVE's niche but I don't see the reality of transcontinental pings allowing it for a FPS. Maybe one per region (NA, EU, SE-Asia) but anything more would start to suck. I'm getting 200ms to Telstra and that's RDC to RDC so individual user issues would just add to the lag. I'll tolerate TF2 servers up to 100 but I filter over that because it gets less and less fun to play. That and you'd never be able to experiment with other empires.

So, what's that leave. 3NA, 3EU and 3SE-A if the game turns a profit?
__________________
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
exLupo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 06:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Ant001
Corporal
 
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


If it's a single us server you will lose a lot of EU players and thats a fact.
Saying 100ms doesn't affect your gameplay is ridiculas. Ask any decent FPS player about playing with a high ping. It's just terrible. As for players using the Markov server at the moment , they complain all the time about minigun shooting around corners etc etc ..That my friend is ping related.
Please Bring back Werner and this time put it in london.
Theres a reason that most companies use data centers in London.
Ant001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major
 
Trolltaxi's Avatar
 
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


Considering the amount of russian and chineese players a tadjik or dagestani server would be fair...

But to be serious the community needs an EU server (preferably on the continent ) Playing with way higher ping than your U.S. opponents (and don't forget lover TTKs) is unfair.
Trolltaxi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General
 
Rbstr's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


Originally Posted by Ant001 View Post
Saying 100ms doesn't affect your gameplay is ridiculas. Ask any decent FPS player about playing with a high ping. It's just terrible
And you're being ridiculous to assert it's terrible. Yeah, not optimal but it's very far removed from game breaking in the majority of titles out there these days.

MCG shooting around corners has more to do with the tick rate and extrapolation.

Anyway, I stand by as few servers as is necessary for a good experience.
There's very little reason that two continental US servers would be required, as an example, unless there's a population issue or SOE cheaps out on bandwidth.
__________________

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-08-05 at 04:41 PM.
Rbstr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
RedKnights
Sergeant Major
 
RedKnights's Avatar
 
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
Higby hinted that initially there won't be that many continents, so there will have to be quite a few servers. However, after release and after more continents are added, fewer servers might be warranted as each server could accommodate more players.

But I'm with you--as few servers as possible, but still span the globe.
Keep in mind they've also said that the continents will support far more people, so few continents doesn't necessarily = lower overall capacity
RedKnights is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post

MCG shooting around corners has more to do with the tick rate and extrapolation.
Negative, its a direct result of clinetside hit detection, you're getting hit around the corner on your screen, but to the other person whos shooting you you're still in sight on their screen.

warping is the result of extrapolation and tick rate.
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bravix
Sergeant Major
 
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


Originally Posted by TerminatorUK View Post
This is a good point regarding hit detection. The devs confirmed PS2 would be a mix of client & server side hit detection. Hopefully all projectiles/gunplay will remain CSHD with server side vehicle collision detection to stop random [email protected] occuring. I think that would give the best of both worlds.
No. No no no no no.

I'm tired of getting killed by the MCG after I've left his sight for an entire second.
Bravix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 05:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major
 
exLupo's Avatar
 
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


Originally Posted by Bravix View Post
I'm tired of getting killed by the MCG after I've left his sight for an entire second.
Or two.
Or three...
__________________
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
exLupo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


you idiots know that you kill people around corners(on their screen) all the time with any weapon right?
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General
 
Rbstr's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Negative, its a direct result of clinetside hit detection, you're getting hit around the corner on your screen, but to the other person whos shooting you you're still in sight on their screen.

warping is the result of extrapolation and tick rate.
That's exactly the same thing but from a different perspective.
Extrapolation can also have you staying in one place when you've really started moving. Furthermore Extrapolation is part of the client side hit detection...how do you think it knows where to place the hitboxes for detection? The low tick rate is why you have extrapolation that goes so wrong.
__________________

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Rbstr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant
 
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


1 Euro, 1 East Coast, 1 West Coast. Keep it simple IMO. It'll keep the servers full and the lag down.
WarChimp130 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: World server locations and pop indicators


Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
That's exactly the same thing but from a different perspective.
Extrapolation can also have you staying in one place when you've really started moving. Furthermore Extrapolation is part of the client side hit detection...how do you think it knows where to place the hitboxes for detection? The low tick rate is why you have extrapolation that goes so wrong.
lol why try to argue when you're wrong, they could switch to using interpolation and up the tickrate to 1000, but if they still use the clientside to detect a hit, people are still going to die around corners because on somebody else's client you're still on their screen.

the only way to "fix" people dying around corners is to use a standard serverside hit detection model, with no lag compensation, each person would have to predict based off their ping where the target is on the server and shoot there, and as i said...with much over 100ping this would be unplayable.
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Tags
location, population, server

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.