Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc) - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't hurt me!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc.)
Yes I would like to see global server(s). (24/7 Peak times?) 56 31.28%
No I prefer the original Planetside Format. (US West, US East, EU) 87 48.60%
Both should be included to give people choice. 36 20.11%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-06-11, 05:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Zenben
Master Sergeant
 
Zenben's Avatar
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


Ping is not an issue of bandwidth, it's an issue of distance. Unless you can make the world smaller (or run a direct fiber optic line with no switches straight to every player) you're always going to have to deal with ping. Supposedly the servers won't be region locked, but the only problem I see with having separate servers for regional and global is splitting up the player base even more than just regional servers would, which I don't like.
__________________
Two by two... hands of blue...
Zenben is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 07:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


Originally Posted by Zenben View Post
Ping is not an issue of bandwidth, it's an issue of distance. Unless you can make the world smaller (or run a direct fiber optic line with no switches straight to every player) you're always going to have to deal with ping. Supposedly the servers won't be region locked, but the only problem I see with having separate servers for regional and global is splitting up the player base even more than just regional servers would, which I don't like.

I really like in his first post how he even says that bandwidth does not effect ping, but then forgets to take into account the width of the pacific ocean and that Taiwan is right above Australia...Americans, not so good with geography.
__________________

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 07:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
DesertFox
Private
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


I would absolutely NOT want to play on a server with 200-250+ ping, which is what I would have on US servers..
DesertFox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 07:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
EVILoHOMER
Major
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


I want region specific servers so I can keep my ping down being from the UK. However I want to be able to access other servers because when it's not prime time here, it is in the US so then I can just switch to them servers.
EVILoHOMER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
TheInferno
Staff Sergeant
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
I really like in his first post how he even says that bandwidth does not effect ping, but then forgets to take into account the width of the pacific ocean and that Taiwan is right above Australia...Americans, not so good with geography.
Yes, and all Australians eat eucalyptus leaves and dance naked in the moonlight. Can we avoid stereotyping entire countries?

Bandwidth does affect ping, though, that's true. Distance might affect it more in some cases, but that's not saying it's completely irrelevant in all cases.
TheInferno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


Originally Posted by TheInferno View Post
Yes, and all Australians eat eucalyptus leaves and dance naked in the moonlight. Can we avoid stereotyping entire countries?

Bandwidth does affect ping, though, that's true. Distance might affect it more in some cases, but that's not saying it's completely irrelevant in all cases.
Yes, im sure theres afew cases where people are getting shitty pings because they're still on dial up or they're downloading mass amounts of porn into the background.
__________________

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
TheInferno
Staff Sergeant
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


When did I disagree with that? I'm not saying you guys aren't screwed in the ping department, never said that. I just took slight offense to the "Americans know nothing of geography!" comment.

Ah well.
TheInferno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


Originally Posted by TheInferno View Post
When did I disagree with that? I'm not saying you guys aren't screwed in the ping department, never said that. I just took slight offense to the "Americans know nothing of geography!" comment.

Ah well.
That's because it was supposed to be offensive. :P
__________________

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
ausrivo
Private
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


Most game developers forget about us Aussies and Kiwi's when it comes to servers. We always have to get the short end of the stick, if a Dev from SOE is reading this could you pretty please give oceania atleast one server Thats all i ask haha

But hey im used to lag so i would manage fine if it doesnt happen lol
ausrivo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
SKYeXile
Major General
 
SKYeXile's Avatar
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


Originally Posted by ausrivo View Post
Most game developers forget about us Aussies and Kiwi's when it comes to servers. We always have to get the short end of the stick, if a Dev from SOE is reading this could you pretty please give oceania atleast one server Thats all i ask haha

But hey im used to lag so i would manage fine if it doesnt happen lol
I'm sure they will set us up on a singo server, is closer so we will get a better ping...
__________________

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
SKYeXile is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
james
Sergeant Major
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


Its nearly impossible to do interest in europe and the USA just isn't were it needs to be to do that. I can kidna play on a server across the pond but that is usually 100+ ping. And there is no fair way to do it.

Last edited by james; 2012-06-11 at 09:01 AM.
james is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Sabot
Second Lieutenant
 
Sabot's Avatar
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


Server pop will prolly decide for me where I'll be playing... if EU servers are under populated ill move to a US one... regdless of ping.
__________________
Sabot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
lucebuce
Private
 
lucebuce's Avatar
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


What will be the situation for Asian players? Will we get an Asian server or will we simply have to use the EU servers?
lucebuce is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Kran De Loy
Captain
 
Kran De Loy's Avatar
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


Originally Posted by TheInferno View Post
When did I disagree with that? I'm not saying you guys aren't screwed in the ping department, never said that. I just took slight offense to the "Americans know nothing of geography!" comment.

Ah well.
Well it's true tho. A lot of Merikans can get pretty stupid about which state is where in our own country let and it only gets worse from there.

Originally Posted by lucebuce View Post
What will be the situation for Asian players? Will we get an Asian server or will we simply have to use the EU servers?
iirc they get their own servers entirely.
Kran De Loy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
RSphil
Contributor
Major
 
RSphil's Avatar
 
Re: Would you like to see GLOBAL servers (Rather than EU, US-W, US-E etc)


i played on U.S servers a while back on fps's and you get used to the lagg and having to lead shots more due to lag but i feel with the size of this game it wont work. things like WoW and Guild wars 2 still have lag if you play away from you're area. iv played on U.S in wow and the lagg was too much. not sure if planetside would be as bad but i think it would impact on game play too much. But as with everything we can always try it and see.
RSphil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Tags
global, peak, server

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.