Push to get it on steam now not at the end of the year! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: No brain, no pain.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-07-28, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Gunuko
Corporal

Push to get it on steam now not at the end of the year!

Hey guys, I would like to urge anyone who gets the opportunity to push to get Planetside 1 Free on Steam, not only for past subscribers like it is now, but for everyone. They plan on doing something eventually, the 6 month free to play for past subscribers runs out November 20, 2013. Let's try to get them to do it before then, here's the plan, we will send John Smedley twitter comments and emails to urge him to put it on steam now, and make it free for anyone not just past subscribers.

His Email:
[email protected]

His Twitter:
https://twitter.com/j_smedley

Steam Community Forums:
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/
Old 2013-08-05, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
infy
Corporal

Re: Push to get it on steam now not at the end of the year!

yes plix
Old 2013-09-27, 03:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gunuko
Corporal

Reminder guys! Send John Smedley the President of SOE emails and tweets right now, ask for Planetside 1 to be put on Steam, right now! His Email:

Demand Planetside 1 on Steam, send emails to this guy!

[email protected]

His Twitter:
https://twitter.com/j_smedley

Last edited by Gunuko; 2013-09-27 at 03:57 AM.
Old 2013-09-27, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
AuntLou
Staff Sergeant

I'd like to see PS1 on steam however I agree with keeping it free to only past and current subscribers. Why give away a game for free that has zero opportunity to make them money? I'll email him now.

http://www.thefortydeuce.com
Old 2013-09-27, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Gunuko
Corporal

Originally Posted by AuntLou View Post
I'd like to see PS1 on steam however I agree with keeping it free to only past and current subscribers. Why give away a game for free that has zero opportunity to make them money? I'll email him now.
It is free for current and past subscribers, but no one received any emails.
Old 2013-09-27, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Make it free for previous/current subscribers of PS1 AND free for PS2 subscribers / members. That way even PS2 would have something from it, an additional "bonus" for the membership / subscription.
Or hell, just link the two together; Subscribe to PS1 and you get membership in PS2, be a member in PS2 and get subscription for PS1.
Old 2013-09-30, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
AuntLou
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gunuko View Post
It is free for current and past subscribers, but no one received any emails.
Ummm yeah I can't remember how I found out but I do remember being informed.

http://www.thefortydeuce.com
Old 2013-10-04, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Leet
Private

The free 6 months was an opportunity for the PS1 community to show that there is still enough life in the game to warrant some SOE time toward it. The first couple of weeks were promising but the population quickly died out. I haven't played it in months but I can only assume that there are a few players playing here and there.

It's time to get with the times and get over the fact that PS1 is done with. At this point, the vain soliciting directed at Smedley make this community look bad.
Old 2013-10-05, 05:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Gunuko
Corporal

Originally Posted by Leet View Post
The free 6 months was an opportunity for the PS1 community to show that there is still enough life in the game to warrant some SOE time toward it. The first couple of weeks were promising but the population quickly died out. I haven't played it in months but I can only assume that there are a few players playing here and there.

It's time to get with the times and get over the fact that PS1 is done with. At this point, the vain soliciting directed at Smedley make this community look bad.
One big problem, they did not send emails out, so you had to be looking through your SOE Account page to find out that it was free to play, that's why no one really played it, and then no one came to play when the population started to die.

Make it free for previous/current subscribers of PS1 AND free for PS2 subscribers / members. That way even PS2 would have something from it, an additional "bonus" for the membership / subscription.
Or hell, just link the two together; Subscribe to PS1 and you get membership in PS2, be a member in PS2 and get subscription for PS1.
They just did this, but did not send emails out to all past subscribers, instead they just hoped people would sign in I guess.

The populations would have not only stayed, but they would have been several times higher if an email was sent out, as was stated earlier.
Old 2013-10-05, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Gunuko View Post
The populations would have not only stayed, but they would have been several times higher if an email was sent out, as was stated earlier.
Hamma actually sent an email out to all PSU forum subscribers. He didn't do it right away though. It was probably a month after SOE gave the free time out. It didn't really help that much though.
Old 2013-10-05, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gunuko
Corporal

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Hamma actually sent an email out to all PSU forum subscribers. He didn't do it right away though. It was probably a month after SOE gave the free time out. It didn't really help that much though.
Yes, but most Planetside-Universe Subscribers no longer visit the forums, many of which have changed emails at some point.

They needed to send emails out to all past subscribers of the game itself.
Old 2013-10-08, 01:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Maybe, but at the same time the inability of SOE to do anything with PS1 (and that short statement "here. free time. new bugs we don't bother fixing." does not really count as working with what we got here) makes them look bad.
It takes a little effort to stop the downward spiral of nobody logging on, but the way PS1 got treated and people who like it additionally basically being mocked by Smedley is definetely not the right way and simply shows there is zero support for this game by SOE.

Why they don't just pull the plug and end this unworthy comatose existence then is beyond me though.

On a sidenote, back when the incident with broken PSN (playstation network, not planetside next - god i wish...) accounts happened and everyone got free time for their SOE accounts, the server was pretty packed. And that was just ~2 years ago, so it is definitely possible to bring back life into PS1. It just takes a little more effort than what they put on display here.

Last edited by Babyfark McGeez; 2013-10-08 at 02:07 AM.
Old 2013-10-09, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Koadster
Sergeant Major

Dude your advice is gonna fall of deaf ears. I tried out PS1, the cert system I felt no more 'specialized' then PS2, I could change loadouts at will and even with broken combos like repair, heal, rocketlauncher on 1 guy. The base design is way better though. The little that I did play when the 6 months first came out, I was in regular 25vs25 battles or more.. It was just as spawn campy as PS2.

If there was some huge influx of people constantly playing, then SOE might actaully do something. I bet they saw numbers were extremely low and once again just let it die.

To the guys still fighting.. Do you REALLY think youd be playing this game with constant 50vs50 battles in 2014 hell even 5 years later in 2018? Like you genuinely believe that? Back in the day, it was a great game no doubt but its time has passed.

MuNrOe : Eat a Dick sandwich TR

Last edited by Koadster; 2013-10-09 at 07:56 AM.
Old 2013-10-09, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Gunuko
Corporal

Everyone please remember these servers were built on year 2003 equipment, from what I heard is that it costs them little to nothing to run the Planetside 1 severs, so theres no harm with keeping them. If the game is put on Steam, it will get insane populations! Especially if they send out emails to all past subscribers of the game.
Old 2013-10-27, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Koadster
Sergeant Major

" If the game is put on Steam, it will get insane populations! Especially if they send out emails to all past subscribers of the game. "

hahaha. PS2 doesnt get insane pops on steam. Who the fuck will play a game from 2003 if they arent vets.

MuNrOe : Eat a Dick sandwich TR
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion