Soldiers weapons should be visible on there avatar - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making fun of purple since before Planetside
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-07, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Soldiers weapons should be visible on there avatar

I think all weapons and items should show up on a soldiers avatar just like it did in PS1. This adds realism and character to your persistent avatar. And lets both friendly's and enemy's see what you are carrying which can be very good for tactics on both sides.

This also should not be very hard to do, and gets ride of the magical guns and AV launchers that just appear from no where when a soldier pull it
Old 2013-05-07, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Shogun
Contributor
General

Re: Soldiers weapons should be visible on there avatar

Originally Posted by Livefire View Post
I think all weapons and items should show up on a soldiers avatar just like it did in PS1. This adds realism and character to your persistent avatar. And lets both friendly's and enemy's see what you are carrying which can be very good for tactics on both sides.

This also should not be very hard to do, and gets ride of the magical guns and AV launchers that just appear from no where when a soldier pull it
the devs already said that this is impossible because it would decrease the number of players that can be displayed.
ps2 just can´t stand up to ps1 in so many ways. also don´t dare to ask for vehicle enter/exit animations like we had in ps1. the devs thought bf3 doesn´t have this so in ps2 it would not be missed. there were a lot of discussions but the devs simply don´t want to put another 6 months of work into this thing.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2013-05-07 at 08:20 AM.
Old 2013-05-07, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
the devs already said that this is impossible because it would decrease the number of players that can be displayed
That does not make sense they had it 10 years ago in PS1 and 100s of players were visible then. WTF?
Old 2013-05-07, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Shogun
Contributor
General

That does not make sense they had it 10 years ago in PS1 and 100s of players were visible then. WTF?
i am sure higby said this. a lot of people asked for visible weapons on the avatars! try a search here.

i don´t understand this as well, but i suppose the potential is needed to display all the different cosmetics people pay money for. so there is no power left for something like this that would be free.
but since this sounds cheap, the excuse was created that it would decrease the number of players that could be shown. they even said by how much, but i don´t want to search the forums for this number. was something substantial like a 30% or something.

Old 2013-05-07, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Displaying all that stuff would pretty much double the amount of weapons you see on the screen at any given time. Doing that would decrease performance quite a bit, so they would have to save that performance on other places: less players to draw.

Planetside never rendered hundred of players. It culled out friendlys first whenever things went big, and i remember a lot of fights where i was standing alone in a base, not seeing any friendlys, whlie there were about 50+ around me.

Planetside 2 actually renders those 50+. It can render a lot more than Planetside 1 could.
Old 2013-05-07, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Dodgy Commando
Staff Sergeant

Is there really a need to draw unused weapons?

If you're lonewolfing, you bring what you like, and who cares if its exactly what the current situation requires. If you're in an organised outfit then everyone probably knows who has to do what, and with what tools. It could be useful for utilities, but I'd rather they save precious performance over detail in this case.
Old 2013-05-07, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Shogun
Contributor
General

it still makes no sense because other stuff on the avatar actually is displayed! the use of armor on tanks is displayed for instance. where is the difference between strapping an armor plate on a model and a weapon that is strapped on a model?

also there seems to be no problem to add different playermodels for everyone because the buyable cosmetics are no skins, they are different models.
so displaying a different model for every player is no problem as long as it generates income. a helmet can be placed on a model without decreasing playernumbers, but the same doesn´t work with a gun?

Old 2013-05-07, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ringring
Contributor
General

We asked for it right from the start and the answer was no. So ........ in the scheme of things I'd put other enhancements ahead of this.
Old 2013-05-07, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Galron
Staff Sergeant

For a while I wasn't sure what this thread was asking. Then I realized you want non currently equipped items to show on each character. With TTK so short, I'm not sure it would ever give a tactical advantage in a realistic fight. Some weapons would look pretty goofy. I would rather Dev resources go to something more usable. I'm fine with the lore explanation of nanites coming out of the air or whatever.
Old 2013-05-07, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Galron View Post
For a while I wasn't sure what this thread was asking. Then I realized you want non currently equipped items to show on each character. With TTK so short, I'm not sure it would ever give a tactical advantage in a realistic fight. Some weapons would look pretty goofy. I would rather Dev resources go to something more usable. I'm fine with the lore explanation of nanites coming out of the air or whatever.
good point.
that may have been another reason why it wasn´t introduced in the first place. you are dead before you even see who is shooting at you in most of the cases. so there is no real tactical advantage like we had in ps1 where you could see the weapon on an enemys back and know what you are up against to decide if you gonna fight or run. there is no time for this decision in ps2.

Old 2013-05-07, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Considering most guns look the same anyways it doesn't really matter.

They made the decision to make each set of armor and character model so you can quickly identify what class you're coming up against. This allows you to know what kind of weapons they can field. It was a smart decision as the more triangles you have to render on the screen the worse your performance is going to be.

SoE kind of shot themselves in the foot with the tech side of things with this game. 2000 player battles and F2P means you need to somehow fit those 2000 players on 4-5 year old hardware. With retail they could have beefed up the requirements a bit as they would have less players but more guaranteed revenue.

Also I think that if they would have gone with just 1000 player battlefields they would have been able to keep much more of the Planetside 1 gameplay than they did. However I doubt that would have been as popular with the masses as Planetside 2 as it would have really only appeal to the relatively small player base that kept Planetside 1 going.
Old 2013-05-07, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
HiroshiChugi
Captain

So wait, the OP is stating that instead of the in-game avatars that you shoot at only showing the equipped weapon, they should show, for example, the Gauss Compact S, Mag Shot, AT Mines, Mag Cutter, and turret box? All at once?
Old 2013-05-07, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
AThreatToYou
Major

would decrease player count by 500-750
Old 2013-05-07, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

They decided to go for guns, lots of guns and micro-transactions. Or vice-versa instead...

Some decisions impact many aspects of the whole.
Old 2013-05-07, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Shogun
Contributor
General

i still think that the not so great success of ps1 was not because people wouldn´t like the deep gameplay possibilities.
the problem was the subscription that was more or less new for computergames. it was pre wow time! and of course the high system requirements that made it impossible to smoothly play with average machines of that time.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion