Gun Combat= No movement, very stationary when shooting - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What do you mean Planetside isn't real?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Gun combat so far?
Perfect...Minimal movement because accuracy should be most important. 62 57.94%
Way Too slow...I want to be able to shoot and move very fast..Twitch Gameplay FTW 9 8.41%
Slow...Needs more movement but nothing too fast. 25 23.36%
Slow...Needs to be exactly like Planetside 1. 11 10.28%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-21, 03:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
mynameismud
Corporal

Re: Gun Combat= No movement, very stationary when shooting

people who dont move when getting shot at usually end up getting shot.
Old 2012-05-21, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Karrade
First Sergeant

Perhaps it is down to light infantry, heavy, or maxi dictating how much you can move?

As an avid infantry player of PS1 for years, in times gone by, I can tell you in a big fight 60-100+ if you stand in one place you last about 5 seconds.

The best runs you'll have is fire one way, move the other. Throw a grenade one way, fire the opposite so he runs into the grenade. This works wonders in woodland. Fire three times over a ridge wildly, and then move so he expects you to be there still, and take him out from the side. I've gone through squad after squad of players like this before running out of ammo.

You get the idea. Move always, even if its at them but preferred to the side or double back around them. Light infantry looks stylish I will be having fun! Flanking is the way to go always, unless you can get behind them, and just take your pick till someone is smart enough to wonder what is going on.

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-05-21 at 05:04 AM.
Old 2012-05-21, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Stardouser
Colonel

Looks like aim down sight shooting is going to win by a mile over hipfire lasers. And make no mistake, that's what this poll boils down to.
Old 2012-05-21, 07:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Magnifly
Private

I think they mentioned somewhere that different weapons encourages different playstyles, so i guess some weapons are meant to be fired while stationary while others are more efficient while moving, presumably rifles and smg's respectively.
Old 2012-05-21, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
goneglockin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Looks like aim down sight shooting is going to win by a mile over hipfire lasers. And make no mistake, that's what this poll boils down to.
Because the poll is worded so majestically.
Old 2012-05-21, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Well, you can choose to move, stand, or crouch; but for the most DPS, you need to hit your shots. Being stationary helps you hit those shots. In real life, you'd probably lose a lot of accuracy if you shot while moving. Of course, I think you could move around a lot more in close combat. For close encounters, I'd say move left and right while you burst shots at the head. For long range, you'll definitely have to stabilize your fire.

Last edited by Aaron; 2012-05-21 at 08:19 AM.
Old 2012-05-21, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hypevosa
Sergeant

See, I'm all for slowed movement when ADS, but I still want there to be no twitching by having rotational speed be highly limited when ADS.
Old 2012-05-21, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

ADADAD was effective in Planetside because the Prediction Code caused warping. Also, you were firing from the hip anyways. Having the most accuracy while sighted and still is as how it should be. There will be weapons that are made to be used while more mobile, such as SMGs.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-05-21, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Firing from the hip shouldn't be stupid and fire in a 180* cone or something. But it also shouldn't ever be used at some semblance of range or when you have the time to aim properly.

Hip firing should be moderately effective way close up in those frantic "oh shit a dude was right around the corner" situations, especially with shotguns, SMGs, pistols and the hip-held HA (which are surely designed for this kind of thing). It should be pretty shit with most of the variations of rifles, LMG and other long weapons.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-05-21, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Personally, I would rather it be more like the pace of Battlefield 3 than Unreal Tournament.

The large, open environments and lack of bunny hopping and verticallity of the levels puts more emphasis on teamwork and tactics and less on twitch based skill.

I want there to be distinct differences in the weapons. SMGs would be good for moving quick and firing from the hip while assault rifles and heavier weapons are naturally slower. I want there to be fields of fire and the ability to win firefights by simply putting more lead down range than your enemy. This promotes people working together and not lonewolfing trying to get a high K/D.

If the engineers are able to build cover and turrets to set up FoBs and defensive positions, full twitch based gameplay would completely negate these positions and thus make them useless. Why would you want to take cover behind something if you have to be running around in circles constantly?
Old 2012-05-21, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Makes sense...I was gonna say in the OP "or maybe the testers just suck and don't A/D keyboard move"

a/d combat wont be very viable in ps2 , the strafe has been slowed down alot.
ttk is fine the way it is, i come from modern shooters and i know this wont a issue if they add features that allow the player to shoot from cover without exposing himself to much, or get to cover really fast when being shot at.

from what i saw in all the gameplay footage the combat is very1 dimensional ,players have limited options when fired upon, also that the transition from cover to fire is way to slow and exposes the player to much.

lets say your pinned down by more then one person, happens all the time, and will happen in ps2.your behind a box/ creat/rock/whatever guys are moving toward you, what options do you have?... well i can inch over to the left or i can inch over to the right exposing myself before i can shoot, then end up dead 9 time out of 10 because your limited to what you can do from cover.

k lets say your at the same rock/tree/box and a few guys are moving in on your location, if we had a feature like lean then you can fire from the left or right side very fast and snap back in for cover when you need it. but with lean you have added more dimension to the combat. you can move out shoot from the left and right, you can crouch down and lean from the left and right, you can stand and lean to the left and to the right. 1 feature,same scenario would give the player 4x as many options. this feature tends togo hand in hand with most games that have hit boxes/headshots. also allows players to use cover and fire from cover in a effective manner. but the down side is if you stick your head out while leaning and leave it out there just long enough somebody gonna shoot it off. look at some of the gamplay footage and see how long it takes them to move from cover to fire ,and fire back to cover.
this will be a issue............

being shot at in the open ????? well your dead, thats all there is to it. there are no features in game that allow infantry to evade fire/damage. a/d is not viable you will get your head shot off. this is is a must!!!!!!!! when the ttk is this fast players need to have a way to evade. im open to anything that allows players to react fast and give them a chance when caught off guard or out in the open. a feature that ive seen and used was a roll. let say your in a base and a enmy jump jets behind you. your dead thats it , time to repsawn. if there is a feature to avoid/evade this would be different ,and give the person who just got jumped a chance.... first shot fired would cause you to roll for cover or roll to evade the shots inc. then you have a chance. and this is big, players have to be given a chance, if jumped .... but when ive seen and used this feature and in all the games it was in, while in the roll animation you have a 75% chance to get headshotted.

ps2 looks like a work of art, and it should not have basic 1 dimensional combat like these old fps games.

Last edited by Rumblepit; 2012-05-21 at 11:00 AM.
Old 2012-05-21, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
lawnmower
Sergeant

Originally Posted by wasdie View Post
Personally, I would rather it be more like the pace of Battlefield 3 than Unreal Tournament.

The large, open environments and lack of bunny hopping and verticallity of the levels puts more emphasis on teamwork and tactics and less on twitch based skill.

I want there to be distinct differences in the weapons. SMGs would be good for moving quick and firing from the hip while assault rifles and heavier weapons are naturally slower. I want there to be fields of fire and the ability to win firefights by simply putting more lead down range than your enemy. This promotes people working together and not lonewolfing trying to get a high K/D.

If the engineers are able to build cover and turrets to set up FoBs and defensive positions, full twitch based gameplay would completely negate these positions and thus make them useless. Why would you want to take cover behind something if you have to be running around in circles constantly?
games like quake are aimbased not twitch. it often takes a long time to kill someone (depending on many factors, the game ACTUALLY has depth).
counterstrike would probably be the most twitchbased aiming game there is, at least among the wellknown ones.
Old 2012-05-21, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
The Kush
Captain

I would prefer the shooting style to be more like halo/ps1 not bf3/cod like it is now. Quit dumbing down the game it takes more skill to hit moving target and that makes the game more fun
Old 2012-05-21, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Worst poll ever.
Old 2012-05-21, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

So, requiring people to think about the trade off of aiming vs running and gunning is "dumbed down" compared to Halo-style run around and shoot?

Different skills sets are not the same thing as dumbed own.
It's like calling chess dumbed down checkers because the Queen can move anywhere.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion