End of the Super Soldier - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Boom...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-26, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Re: End of the Super Soldier

*sigh*

Ok...

1. Rank /=/ more hit points ala WoW. Everyone's still stuck at 100 health.

2. That person is only going to be in one place at one time doing one thing. Who cares if he can drive a tank, fly a reaver, AND cert a MAX suit...when he's sitting at the top of a stairwell with a shotgun? HERE AND NOW are the only things that matter. BR1 with a sweeper can kill a BR25 with a JH easily. It happen(s? ed?) all the time when I played PS1. Sure, maybe that BR25 can get to the next battle easier than the BR1 since he doesn't have to wait around for a ride. But other than that, the rank/versatility makes no difference whatsoever in 1 on 1 combat.
Old 2012-05-26, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Vetto View Post
Yes.. cause people are not smart enough to back out heal them self and come back out and attack.

But hey I was right I was going to get flamed.
If that's what you're concerned about
a new character br4 or so is able to cert rexo+HA ... it's only another 6 cert points to add medic+engy.

What's that ... br11 or so.

Hardly a super soldier.

Where you're correct is identifying what some have alled super soldiers, ie those who can do everything. The problem is the choice of example you gave whic derailed your point I think.
Old 2012-05-26, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by PeteHMB View Post
*sigh*

Ok...

1. Rank /=/ more hit points ala WoW. Everyone's still stuck at 100 health.

2. That person is only going to be in one place at one time doing one thing. Who cares if he can drive a tank, fly a reaver, AND cert a MAX suit...when he's sitting at the top of a stairwell with a shotgun? HERE AND NOW are the only things that matter. BR1 with a sweeper can kill a BR25 with a JH easily. It happen(s? ed?) all the time when I played PS1. Sure, maybe that BR25 can get to the next battle easier than the BR1 since he doesn't have to wait around for a ride. But other than that, the rank/versatility makes no difference whatsoever in 1 on 1 combat.
this, and for some sweet perspective, check these videos out.. supersoldiers? Yes. But not in the way you understand them. To make my point more clear, every single supersoldier as you call us, being in a group or not.. can be beaten just as easily as any other enemy. Hell, we laugh when we get our asses kicked most of the time. Shoot us hard enough and we go down just like any other.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-05-26 at 03:11 PM.
Old 2012-05-26, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

While battlefield versatility is fun in many circumstances, overall it has a negative effect on the game. If everyone has AV, then vehicles have to be balanced for that. If 1 in 20 has AV, then AV can be more powerful.

Old 2012-05-26, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
While battlefield versatility is fun in many circumstances, overall it has a negative effect on the game. If everyone has AV, then vehicles have to be balanced for that. If 1 in 20 has AV, then AV can be more powerful.
I take your general point but again a not the best example. Everyone had AV well before BR25.

Super soldier is surely,
being able to go full Rexo +
being able to hack everything +
being abloe to insert virus +
being able to revive +
being able to drive all vehices +
being able to pilot all aircraft.

BR20 could go full rexo plus have enough certs for a vehicle + 2 left over.
BR25 could do same with 5 left over (enough to add advanced hacking)
Old 2012-05-26, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

i wonder how many people don't get how much it doesnt matter. in enough time, everyone will be able to do everything at one point or another anyway. Its the very definition of splitting hairs. they really should just give us custom inventories and be done with it.

Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-05-26, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Atheosim
Captain

I loved being that "super soldier" because I was especially fond of playing the shock trooper. Three or 4 agiles drop onto a tower and take them by surprise from the top. With that few people, every one of them needs to be self sufficient. If you're down because you need heals, it would kill the rest of the group for another to stop and heal you. That's half of your firepower gone because one person got shot.
Old 2012-05-26, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
I take your general point but again a not the best example. Everyone had AV well before BR25.
Which is part of my point. Not enough specialization waters down the game.

With FREXO, one player could literally be a one man army without ever getting out of his REXO suit. Granted they wouldn't be able to to fly, but that was a minor inconvenience most of the time.

Old 2012-05-26, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Bags
Lieutenant General

One man army makes it sound like he could solo everything at once. Sure is sensationalism in here.
Old 2012-05-26, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
I remember you from early days. Back then you had to make smart choices building your cert spec. You could go for versatility, but in the end you were always restricted to certain playstyles or 'roles' due to the fact that you couldn't get everything (and yet everything was needed in the bigger picture of battle).

This changed over time as SOE decided to try and keep people playing by increasing max level, and cheapening the cert cost of many items/vehicles. You could literally become effective in all area's. You could be an effective grunt with AV, have all tanks, aircraft, hacking, medic and advanced engineering and still have room for UNIMAX.

It took a lot of reliance on other people out of the game. It also took a lot of variety out of the game. People would just use whatever was most effective in the situation. Taking into account and remembering what kind of certs people used was also no longer necessary as more and more people had pretty much everything, so in a way it dumbed the game down too.

So while you can only use one thing at a time, it is necessary to have restrictions on the whole to keep loadouts/roles, customization and specialization meaningful at all.
It also restricts the ways you can play. If a fight moves indoors and you're speced to be solely a support pilot/driver, I guess you should just log off?
Old 2012-05-26, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
One man army makes it sound like he could solo everything at once. Sure is sensationalism in here.
A million times this. The only people who have the ability to talk about supersoldiers... are the supersoldiers themselves. Don't be saying things that aren't true that you don't know about.

Old 2012-05-26, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
+1.
Old 2012-05-26, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Vetto View Post
I know I may get flamed for this, But anyone else happy will see the end of them?

The guy who basically can do it all, he can mow down lower battle rank players with a Anti-Inf Heavy weapons, Carry a Anti-Vehicle weapons, as well can heal/repair his armor basically making him fairly hard to root out of one spot outside of swarming him with troops.
Well in PS2 the Heavy Assault class can have an AV weapon with a MA weapon (with the faster TTKs MA/HA doesn't really look to matter that much), and everyone gets regenning shields. So, if there is medpacks and/or a regen implant again, YOUR definition of a super soldier exists in PS2.
Old 2012-05-26, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by DOUBLEXBAUGH View Post
Well in PS2 the Heavy Assault class can have an AV weapon with a MA weapon (with the faster TTKs MA/HA doesn't really look to matter that much), and everyone gets regenning shields. So, if there is medpacks and/or a regen implant again, YOUR definition of a super soldier exists in PS2.
I fucking love you double. INVITE ME TO TEAM TOWER GODFUCKINGDAMNIT.

Old 2012-05-26, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
It wasn't that restrictive. You could still fight at all times, you just wouldn't have the most powerful weapon indoors, or you would be lacking something else that others did have (like MAX, adv hacking, or or combat medic). That's not quite the same as being completely superfluous.
But with nothing but a suppressor how could you expect to have fun against swarms of people with HA?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion