Horrible implementation of the new squad colors. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The servers fux0rd the map wont change
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-06, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Horrible implementation of the new squad colors.

They reset when you log and you can only change the colors if there is a platoon.

I cant tell squad mates from enemies because Im color blind with the default colors.
I was really happy that i would be able to play in squads now - but this is miserable.

Why not just have a palette selection on the options screen for squads and platoons?
Old 2013-06-06, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Falcon_br
Captain

Re: Horrible implementation of the new squad colors.

Strange, I was looking where I could set my platoon colors since the first day of the update.
So I found it while leading a platoon. You need to be on a platoon to do it.
I did, now everyone is on a degree of green, I am considering to change to degrees of red, but not decided yet.
Since then I played several days and in, o leading a platoon and the colors persists in game. Never had to change then again.

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2
Old 2013-06-06, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
AThreatToYou
Major

they are probably reset if you switch empires
Old 2013-06-06, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Isokon
Private

I just tested it and they persist for me even when I relog or switch empires...
Old 2013-06-06, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Well when I logged back into my main(who I sat the colors with) and joined a squad(not a platoon) the color went back to green and made it impossible for me to fight along with that squad.

WTF do the colors work with platoons but not squads - it totally defeats the intent to help color bling people.
Old 2013-06-06, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
CrimsonTemplar
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
Well when I logged back into my main(who I sat the colors with) and joined a squad(not a platoon) the color went back to green and made it impossible for me to fight along with that squad.

WTF do the colors work with platoons but not squads - it totally defeats the intent to help color bling people.
Well if it's just one squad, rather than a platoon, then there'd be little point to have different colours. What colours do you have for Allies, Enemies and Facilities? Perhaps changing them might help.

I'm sorry that it's annoying as hell. I'm colour blind as well but I haven't encountered any of the reset-colour problems you seem to be facing.
Old 2013-06-07, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
robocpf1
First Sergeant

As vehicles do not display squad numbers, this new system is incredibly frustrating for outfits with high vehicle use. Since everyone can independently change their squad colors, and vehicles only show up with the squad colors...

Vehicle marking on the minimap is in kind of a rough state at the moment anyway without squad numbers. But with the new change (which was needed, but the implementation wasn't perfect) we can't distinguish between people or even squads because the only way to communicate is via color, and everyone might be using different colors.

Outfit or platoon leader setting a color template would be a great addition.

Remember, leaders aren't going to intentionally make something harder for their members; it's really just a matter of giving each outfit or platoon member's "proxy vote" for squad colors to the leader.
Old 2013-06-07, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post

Outfit or platoon leader setting a color template would be a great addition.

Remember, leaders aren't going to intentionally make something harder for their members; it's really just a matter of giving each outfit or platoon member's "proxy vote" for squad colors to the leader.

Thats a horrible suggestion that would make a bad situation into a terrible one for colorblind players.
Old 2013-06-07, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Then give us some scientifically tested "color blind friendly" color templates. I'd gladly use them.

Furthermore, how about squad numbers for vehicles? If we couldn't find the right friendly vehicle on the minimap before, it's going to be almost impossible now.
Old 2013-06-07, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Isokon
Private

But with the new change (which was needed, but the implementation wasn't perfect) we can't distinguish between people or even squads because the only way to communicate is via color, and everyone might be using different colors.
Why do you have to communicate via colour? Just call them by their names: Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta.

Apart from that, I do agree they need make it possible to see who occupies a vehicle on the map and minimap.
Old 2013-06-07, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Isokon View Post
Why do you have to communicate via colour? Just call them by their names: Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta.

Apart from that, I do agree they need make it possible to see who occupies a vehicle on the map and minimap.
Specific to vehicle combat. In an infantry fight, yes, we can use the name designations.

In one of the first GUs the devs made vehicles show up as their squad color, which was a huge step in the right direction.

The next step is to put squad numbers on vehicle icons on the minimap - or at least one of the squad numbers (the driver). As long as it's possible to differentiate between different vehicles on the minimap, I think tank crews and air squads will be very happy.
Old 2013-06-08, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Then give us some scientifically tested "color blind friendly" color templates. I'd gladly use them.

Furthermore, how about squad numbers for vehicles? If we couldn't find the right friendly vehicle on the minimap before, it's going to be almost impossible now.

There are 4 major different types of common color blondness and the largest among them(partial deuteranopia) even comes in several slightly different varieties.

The only good option is to let players chose their own colors.
Old 2013-06-08, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Fuse
Sergeant

There are 4 major different types of common color blondness and the largest among them(partial deuteranopia) even comes in several slightly different varieties.

The only good option is to let players chose their own colors.
The Sim City devs seemed to have a pretty solid approach, but I can't say personally as I knew better than to buy that game.
http://www.destructoid.com/simcity-w...medium=twitter
Old 2013-06-08, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
The Sim City devs seemed to have a pretty solid approach, but I can't say personally as I knew better than to buy that game.
http://www.destructoid.com/simcity-w...medium=twitter

PS2 has a great approach - until you join a squad.
Old 2013-06-08, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Fuse
Sergeant

PS2 has a great approach - until you join a squad.
Yeah, it only took half a year to implement a system that doesn't even work properly. It's not like we told them this was a problem pretty much day one of beta.

My point was that there are other ways to accommodate color blind players. I'm fine with the current system, I like options, but that doesn't mean there aren't other (arguably better) ways of doing it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion