Planetside 2 Graphic Novel - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Our Marketing Department Crashed :(
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-06, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Zekeen
Major

Re: Planetside 2 Graphic Novel

Originally Posted by Saieno View Post
In a thread a few days ago I posted up a sketch titled Calm Before the Storm, depicting some Terran Republic soldiers preparing for battle. Zekeen asked why I hadn't started making a graphic novel yet, and other members of the community such as Tcakes, headcrab13, Cosmical, Kipper, Graywolves, and Raka Maru shared his sentiments. Having never attempted a graphic novel before, I decided to give one page a shot just to see how it goes.

The story is not written by me, and is taken directly from the lore stories posted at Planetside2.com. Some of the content seems outdated now, such as Bolt Drivers being a New Conglomerate specific weapon. Anyway I hope you like this first attempt. As I get used to the workflow and format the quality should improve as well. Thanks and enjoy!
Dear mother F%$#ING GOD Saieno, you freaking went and started doing it. And it's even more awesome to boot! I was expecting to see a black and white dark pencil style, but damn, good work with color art, it's hard to do it so well. Gotta say, even as a NC hardcore player, I will state that TR is a good side to tell the story from.
Old 2012-05-06, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Nice work man. Good luck and keep at it, i know how much time these things take to put together.

get doodling moochacho!
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
Old 2012-05-06, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Raka Maru
Major

FYI, there is an iBooks creator that you can download and make this novel. It is free to use, make the iBook dude.
Old 2012-05-06, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
Any word back from SOE regarding permission yet, Saieno? I realize they won't answer during the weekend, but hopefully you'll get a response early this coming week.

I think a lot of people here would be willing to chip in, just to see this thing come together. Even for a simple PDF version of the final novel, I'd be more than happy to help fund your Kickstarter campaign, if you decide to go that route.
No word yet, maybe they'll get back to me next week or so, it'll be a busy one for me at work anyway haha. And to be honest, drawing this one page actually brought my computer to its knees, preventing me from really working on anything. It's served me well these last five years considering I only spent $300 building it, but I've finally ordered parts yesterday for my new PC. For those curious here is the parts list for my new PC:

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Red Mid-Tower
Motherboard: BIOSTAR TPOWER X79 USB 3.0 ATX Intel
Power Supply: RAIDMAX RX-850AE 850W ATX12V v2.3
Processor: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB DDR3 2133
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 680 GTX SC 2GB
Drive 1: Western Digital Caviar Black HDD 1TB 7200 RPM
Drive 2: SanDisk Extreme SSD 120GB 550 MB/s
Keyboard: Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510
Mouse: Logitech Gaming Mouse G500

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
Dear mother F%$#ING GOD Saieno, you freaking went and started doing it. And it's even more awesome to boot! I was expecting to see a black and white dark pencil style, but damn, good work with color art, it's hard to do it so well. Gotta say, even as a NC hardcore player, I will state that TR is a good side to tell the story from.
Thanks Zekeen. I really think I could have done better if I had more time into it, it's so rough and was really a concept more than anything. I think once I have my new PC built, I'll pump out more art and such in my free time. Thanks for the idea Zekeen, glad you like it.

Last edited by Saieno; 2012-05-07 at 04:08 PM.
Old 2012-05-07, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Zekeen
Major

Sure thing, good luck to the making of awesomeness. Just be sure to give a lot of Galaxy fanservice in there, best freaking vehicle in the world.
Old 2012-05-07, 03:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Noivad
Master Sergeant

You have a lot of talent - I'll read it. Wait how much is the Micro Transaction for it. Maybe Sony can give you a nitch to work in. A few pages every week or two about TR victores in PS2 would be cool. You don't have to worry about doing the VS or NC though, cause they will never win any battles that we don't want them too. TR for Life - We have the Power.

"There is NO "I" in Teamwork"

DOG SLOGAN - "It's not the size of the DOG in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the DOG"

DOG BATTLE CRY - " Cry 'Havoc,' and Let Slip The DOG's OF War. "

And Hamma I see the VS and the NC have infiltrated your board. So the TR will have to kill them all and make them the yellow bastards they are
Old 2012-05-07, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Figment
Lieutenant General

Wrote a big post yesterday on my phone and then wham, hit the back button. >.<

Anyway. It's a nice enough drawing, but unlike Cosmical Comics, you don't fall under parody, so it's not really "fair use" anymore if you use it for more than occasional practice purposes. You should get permission from the copyright holder, in this case SOE and probably good to get in touch with the writer himself. I doubt they'd mind, but I'd check.

Perhaps a bit off topic regarding the OP, but in the past I've talked to some connections of mine in the comic industry about doing a PlanetSide 2 promotional comic. They work at UDON Comics and IDW Publishing in particular, most of them former Dreamwave employees who I've worked with in the past or got to know through forums.

They have done work on comics like GI Joe, Transformers, Mega-Man and other promotional comics in the past, including a Metroid-Prime comic for Nintendo. They would be interested in doing that sort of thing as they do licensed and promotional companies for various companies on a regular basis. Hasbro with its action figure lines in particular of course.

Could be a fun thing for conventions or as a box extra if they decide on a boxed release for instance. They've also done some work for SOE regarding Free Realms in the past, so they are familiar with SOE. Even better if it were a global comic of course, but it'd have to get popular for that first. >.>

Last edited by Figment; 2012-05-07 at 08:23 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion