Higby's Stream + HUD Issues - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: [unable to load this quote due to lack of funds]
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-09, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Thumbs down Higby's Stream + HUD Issues

I am really digging the sound effects, and the base art is beautiful! Drooled all over my keyboard watching the tank fighting on Indar.

Design Issues:

- Center screen info alerts - Please allow this to be disabled. The influence from BF3 is obvious regarding the center screen 'Base Defended' flashes (size, art, and location). They were one of the things I most disliked about BF3 and am disappointed they are being reproduced. It is extremely annoying to be playing a game where my visual acuity is of top priority only to have half my screen taken up by a message that can be displayed 1/10 the size and out of my FOV.
(I am aware of the Dev posts regarding this, and am under the impression that the size and location of certain alerts will remain. The size and location are my concern.)

- Killed notifications - Please allow this to be disabled. Upper right hand corner shows who killed who. I don't care about who killed who, all I need to know is the condition of my squad at a glance. It takes up space on my screen and is in a popup/flash form that can be distracting.

- Red pulsing screen frame - Please allow this to be disabled. If I get wounded all my concentration needs to be on hitting my foe in a vital spot, not silently thanking God that I am not an epileptic.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
PhoenixDog
First Sergeant

Re: Higby's Stream + HUD Issues

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
- Center screen info alerts - Please allow this to be disabled. The influence from BF3 is obvious regarding the center screen 'Base Defended' flashes (size, art, and location). They were one of the things I most disliked about BF3 and am disappointed they are being reproduced. It is extremely annoying to be playing a game where my visual acuity is of top priority only to have half my screen taken up by a message that can be displayed 1/10 the size and out of my FOV.
(I am aware of the Dev posts regarding this, and am under the impression that the size and location of certain alerts will remain. The size and location are my concern.)
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=44741

Higby already covered that

~Xen of Onslaught Member Since: September 2003
~XoO Planetside 2 Air Division Commander
~Recruiting Now! Check our our PSU Recruitment Thread Here
Old 2012-07-09, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by PhoenixDog View Post
Did you even read what I wrote? :
And Higby has said this:
2 - the large messages should only play for your currently active region, not each region on the map, other regions will play a smaller message that's way less intrusive.
So there will still be "large messages".

So No, Spot, Higby has not covered this.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Yutty
Sergeant

im glad they decided to get rid of the blue colored map & went with actual terrain colors. One thing that bothered me was the faction pop & base labels. Seems redundant having squares labeld A,B,C ect on the side and then have them up on you screen as directional markers. Also not a fan of or wish we can resize them & adjust transparency.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
PhoenixDog
First Sergeant

Large may not be the size they are now. They may just be larger than the off-region ones.

Also, the killspam is a great tool is knowing how well your empire is doing around your vicinity. You may not care beyond your squad...But your squad might need the use of the rest of the empire. And if they're all on the right side of the kill spam, you know they're losing and may have to rethink your strategy.

~Xen of Onslaught Member Since: September 2003
~XoO Planetside 2 Air Division Commander
~Recruiting Now! Check our our PSU Recruitment Thread Here
Old 2012-07-09, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
willaguy
Sergeant

This is a subject that revolves around preference. Although for other people's sake it should be a customizable thing.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

I agree whole heartedly. The BIG LOUD MESSAGES!!! are too big and the red throbbing is annoying. Either give us an option to change their size or an option to turn them off completely.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant

Yes, those messages need to be customizable, including turning them off. That is just way too much real estate given over to them.

That stuff would really get people killed.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Naz The Eternal
First Sergeant

Misc Info

The flashing part of the message is understandable, but the location and size are most certainly not.

Too intrusive, if playing in the dark when its night time in game a big flashy message like that will cause some light adjustment issues with most peoples eyes.

OUTFIT OFFICER
Vanu Sovereignty
Old 2012-07-09, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

I second these points. It needs to be adjustable at the least.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Caddrel
Private

One of my friend's first comments upon seeing the stream was, "Wow, there's so much UI."

Granted we'd just come off playing Arma, but there must be about 15%-20% of the screen covered in Stuff at all times.

Which is fine if that's what people want, but definitely give an option to turn it off and/or minimize it.

Arma has a very good system where if you want something up, you can toggle it on/off. GPS (mini-map), compass, or watch can all be gotten up or dismissed at the press of a button.
Old 2012-07-09, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
infinite loop
First Sergeant

/agreed

I don't care if the frequency is adjusted, the fact remains that I NEVER want to see that huge message in the center of my screen. EVER. If that isn't configurable it is going to drive me goddamn crazy.
Old 2012-07-10, 12:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Winfernal
Staff Sergeant

Make it an option. Please...
Old 2012-07-10, 12:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]
- Killed notifications - Please allow this to be disabled. Upper right hand corner shows who killed who. I don't care about who killed who, all I need to know is the condition of my squad at a glance. It takes up space on my screen and is in a popup/flash form that can be distracting.
You want that turned on, it gives you information about enemy numbers and classes, you'll be a better player if you learn to use it
Old 2012-07-10, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

I want them on, but I can see why they might need a toggle for others.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion