Gameplay: Dedicated driver certification for MBT - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: for when masturbations lost it's fun.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.21 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-08-02, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: Dedicated driver certification for MBT

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
Who says we can't do both?
The original Lightning had limited arc, it was bullshit.
Old 2012-08-02, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
Gugabalog
Major

Eh. Ok so extra heavily hp debuff solo tankers...
Old 2012-08-02, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

No, just give non solo tanks 50% more defense.
Old 2012-08-02, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Xenostalker
Corporal

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
No, just give non solo tanks 50% more defense.
So now players must differentiate between a tank that is solo-piloted and a tank that is multi-piloted?

That's really just an odd element to have.

--

Also, it'd be an issue of firepower over toughness. Instead of 8 people making up a column of 4 tanks, you could now have 8 people making up a column of 8 tanks. That's eight barrels shooting now.

Last edited by Xenostalker; 2012-08-02 at 05:25 PM.
Old 2012-08-02, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
Gugabalog
Major

Yea. It's a really weird decision. The soloers already had the lightning. I'm not sure what the devs were thinking with this one.
Old 2012-08-02, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Frankly MBTs shouldn't be soloable at all.
Old 2012-08-03, 01:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #112
Xenostalker
Corporal

Smed's defense for the MBT turret being given to the driver was that 'the driver is the one spending the resources and certs' towards the vehicle.

I get the idea of that argument... but at the same time... spending resources, regardless of whom, on a tank - to put it on the battlefield - is still rewarding your faction with its presence. It's still a tank, doesn't matter who is gunning.

Having MBTs solable is just... completely not PS1-esque (yea, they aren't trying to reinvent PS1, but they are taking away too many of the elements that made it PS1 in the first place).
Old 2012-08-03, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #113
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Xenostalker View Post
Smed's defense for the MBT turret being given to the driver was that 'the driver is the one spending the resources and certs' towards the vehicle.
That reasoning reaks of sweat. If so, we should be able to drive and gun all sunderer turrets and all galaxy turrets and all liberator turrets... No, they only made it this way to please BF players.

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Except that the Mag was designed from the ground up to be a massive floating turret. They would have to change everything about it to normalize it.
It would not. The mag, like the other tanks would have 2 variants.

v1 - driver has the main gun, but it is fixed. Essentially this is PS2's default. Only diffrence is that the main gun is moved from the nose to the turret on the model.

v2 - the driver has no gun, but the turret is now mobile. The gunner can use the turret and rotate it freely. The turret moves independently from the tank's body (like in PS1).

As you see, there is no advantage over the other tanks this way.

Originally Posted by Lumberchuk View Post
The point of the fixed gun is for simplicity of controls. You'll have too many buttons otherwise. To make up for this the Mag has a crazily increased turn rate, however it lacks the ability to run away and fire simultaneously. Giving it a 360 turret will negate this weakness and will mean the 2 person mag could have an incredible advantage over the other 2 faction tanks when they are occupied by 2 people.
You can not have a hover tank and a turret that rotates with only one person controlling it. Hover controls need a mouse, as does the turret, no way this can work without a gunner.

You seam to miss the point that in PS2 no MBT can "run away and fire simultaneously". Here is how it works: if you rotate the turret 180° and try to run, it is essentially the same as reversing with the magrider. In both cases you are driving blind and will probably die after hitting a rock...
Old 2012-08-10, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #114
fod
Master Sergeant

if the driver is the one spending the certs shouldnt it be his decision on who guns?

the way it is now im going to spend less certs on tanks because i cant have a dedicated gunner - driver=gunner is no fun
Old 2012-08-10, 06:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
Gugabalog
Major

I agree. Dedicated gunners are so much more effective. (Read: Accurate)

Atleast in my experience...
Old 2012-08-16, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #116
TranquilRage
Private

Have the gunner refund a portion of the cost to the owner when they get in. Fairness/complexity could be implemented with a more complex deposit scheme with the last driver/gunner in the vehicle before it despawns/is destroyed ultimately paying the cost of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Azren View Post
It would not. The mag, like the other tanks would have 2 variants.

v1 - driver has the main gun, but it is fixed. Essentially this is PS2's default. Only diffrence is that the main gun is moved from the nose to the turret on the model.

v2 - the driver has no gun, but the turret is now mobile. The gunner can use the turret and rotate it freely. The turret moves independently from the tank's body (like in PS1).

As you see, there is no advantage over the other tanks this way.
+1 A much more elegant solution. Hot swapping should have a few seconds delay as well, Just 2 or 3 seconds.
Old 2012-08-16, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
andehh
Corporal

Christ almighty guys, this game is all about having FUN!

What's more fun?;

1) you spend your hard earned res on a great big tank to drive around in, shoot in and have a buddy help you out with a secondary AA gun when you feel like it. Huge number of tanks on the battlefield, everyone wins.

2) you spend your hard earned res on a tank to drive around in. You now need to find someone to fire the big gun (getting the kills & satisfaction of shooting shit) who is not shit and who is not gunna frustrate you. Then on top of that you have half as many targets in the battlefield, as every tank is full of twice as many people as is required.

Dude, I want to have my fun with my tank on my terms. I also want my outfits members to roll out twice as big a column of tanks onto the battlefield instead of half as many.

STOP TRYING TO LIMIT MY _FUN_!

'Nuff said

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 2012-08-16, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #118
TranquilRage
Private

But that's the point, 2 player tanks were fun, loads of fun, as were skyguards and all the other multiperson vehicles. If you wanted to drive about on your own in a metal can, there was the lightning that limited your destructive potential.
Old 2012-08-16, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #119
andehh
Corporal

The lightening was useless, and no doubt will be in PS2. Aside from quick transport and general distraction purposes it wasn't kidding anyone. It was very good fun in large numbers though.

I am still all for giving owner of the tank the option to do as he pleases though. But force me to spend my resources on a tank to miss out on the best bet and play taxi driver and I won't bother, I (and most I imagine) will just hang around waiting to gun someone else's tank.

40 tanks takes up to 80 addition people off the battlefield for no real (fun) benefit the way your wanting it. I am *totally* for team work, but forcing people together for very little 'fun' gain doesn't help anyone. I would rather have those 80 people with a/v launchers, in reavers, in other tanks and acting as support then stuck inside them because they HAVE to be.

Tanks have such a pivotal role of the game, and are such a good way of showing off the MMO capability. By their very nature they are great targets for everyone/enemy, and great fun to use. Forcing more people inside of them for the sake of it nerfs the global population and risks frustrating the tank cert'ers to the point of ignoring them. Just mindlessly driving around, watching your gunner miss targets you could have got before driving back for repair is a crappy way of playing a first person shooter......

We need 2 person tanks, 1 driver&main gun then one secondary person for the AA gun.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by andehh; 2012-08-16 at 09:51 AM.
Old 2012-08-16, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
TranquilRage
Private

However when you spawn a tank, if you are soloing you are instantly in charge of much more firepower and survivability than on foot. That was always offset by it taking two people, giving a far more balanced level of power over all. Both players were near useless without the other.

Lightnings definitely need a little buff, but this isn't the place for that discussion. The option of locking the turret to a fixed position gives a nice degree of balance to a single person operated tank.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault