The Reddit Q&A Makes Me Nervous - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Some people are alive only because it is illegal to shoot them
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-25, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
General M
Corporal

Re: The Reddit Q&A Makes Me Nervous

I agree.
At least change the un-capturable bases to off-shore.

Last edited by General M; 2012-03-25 at 12:16 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Quick, someone tweet this to Higby!
Old 2012-03-25, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by IronMole View Post
Quick, someone tweet this to Higby!
Yes! Quickly!
Old 2012-03-25, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Most of us share your views, and we will melt faces in beta once it turns out to not work.
That's what I've always thought. But the worst case scenario is beta is so bad they have to delay the game a few months to match what we want, but I don't want a delay : (
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-03-25, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
duck
Sergeant

I agree with the OP.

This game will turn out to be like All Point Bulletin - full of hype, but game was terribly executed. SOE devs have lost the reason why PS1 was so good and they are instead catering for the CoD 13 year old kids. I fear this game will gain a lot of popularity in the beginning, but after players start realizing that this game has no "point" as the OP mentioned then the player base will drop tremendously until the game dies. Oh well, it's not my job that's in danger. I hope I am proven wrong but if there is one thing APB taught us was that if you neglect the community, the game will fail.
'
Higby, these kinds of threads should be gold to you. Many of PS1 veterans like myself know that PS2 should closely resemble PS1 gameplay and structure. The direction of PS2 is not headed the right way. I know the community has to compromise on certain things (i.e. loss of sanctuary, no inventory), but compromise only reaches a certain point where fans feel that this is not the same game they played and loved previously.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Stardouser
Colonel

Here's something I saw in the Reddit answers...they mentioned that there might be a startup sequence for vehicles.

What do you guys think about vehicle depth and complexity? I don't mean difficulty per se, but for example...tools! Aircraft for example could have an autoleveler/autopilot, that you could point yourself on the right course and it will maintain current course, altitude and speed. That's merely an example, there could be other stuff. What's the flight ceiling expected to be, btw?

And ground vehicles, they could have 8X optics for the gunner, thermal vision, and other tools. Er, thermal is a bad example, not ALL of the tools I'm talking about have to be controversial(someone will say thermal is noob mode).

And of course, these are tools in addition to starting up the engine and stuff.

Hell, vehicles could even have togglable headlights, togglable cockpit lighting, etc. THERE is your immersion, not enter/exit animations.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
That's what I've always thought. But the worst case scenario is beta is so bad they have to delay the game a few months to match what we want, but I don't want a delay : (
Honestly, I don't believe this is gonna happen, namely, that they will actually make a major feature change. Tweaking and balancing, sure, but wholesale change? I just can't see it.

I'm not sure that Higby, et al, had much of a choice in a lot of the major design elements. I think the upper management saw the money in BF and CoD, and told Higby to make something like it but with Planetside label on it. Again, suits interfering in stuff they know nothing about...

I will be seriously surprised if they actually delay development to make a major change on our say so.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Khellendros View Post
I will be seriously surprised if they actually delay development to make a major change on our say so.
That all depends on how much time they've budgeted for beta, given how they've answered every criticism with "if it sucks we'll change it in beta" they must be planning several months of it. If that's not the case and it turns out to be just a few weeks of tweaks and bug fixes... well a lot of people are going to be rightly pissed off.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Sheppe
Private

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
That all depends on how much time they've budgeted for beta, given how they've answered every criticism with "if it sucks we'll change it in beta" they must be planning several months of it. If that's not the case and it turns out to be just a few weeks of tweaks and bug fixes... well a lot of people are going to be rightly pissed off.
I've waited this long for PS2 / Beta, I can wait a bit longer.

+1 to OP's thoughts
Old 2012-03-25, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

SOE did some stupid things in the past, but they are not THAT stupid. They know very well that they are on unknown ground here. There is just no other MMOFPS that you can copy, or take advice from, other than planetside itself. Given that, they have to test their mechanics properly, otherwise they may as well just burn the cash they spend.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Ghost Hacks
TBH, With only 3 continents and the new territory system I don't see how ghost hacks can be a problem.

You have to make a push from a foothold, otherwise you risk a very lengthy hack, and even if you make the hack it only takes the opposing empire a very short time to take it back. The new spawning system along with ams-galaxies makes this even less of a problem, because it makes it easier to get guys in to clean up.

Player density is going to be much higher than what we've seen from PS1 until more continents are released which likely wont happen till far after launch.

On other issues I actually like having a low-cont/no sanc system in place. It makes bases more valuable and more strategic since you can no longer pull whatever vehicle you want from the sanctuary.

EDIT: to quote OP "Anything that makes PS2 different from PS1 is bad! They've lost sight of what a good game is and PS1 was the greatest game EVER!!!1"

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-03-25 at 12:58 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Graywolves
General

-edited out rant about how I hate 'victory condition'-

I agree with a lot of things you have said. A lot of us here are worried that PS2 is going to turn into something more like Planetside: Battlefield Auraxis.

Last edited by Graywolves; 2012-03-25 at 01:03 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
On other issues I actually like having a low-cont/no sanc system in place. It makes bases more valuable and more strategic since you can no longer pull whatever vehicle you want from the sanctuary.
But the plan seems to be that you can pull them from your foothold, which is even worse.
Originally Posted by basti
SOE did some stupid things in the past, but they are not THAT stupid. They know very well that they are on unknown ground here. There is just no other MMOFPS that you can copy, or take advice from, other than planetside itself. Given that, they have to test their mechanics properly, otherwise they may as well just burn the cash they spend.
I'm not worried about it either, beta will last a few months there's just no other way to make this work. Plenty of time to make some real changes if it comes down to that.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

But you can pull them from your foothold, which is even worse.
Really?! Ewww...
Old 2012-03-25, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I'm seriously sick of people bringing up win condition, I find it ironic that you use APB because although maybe you stopped playing it because no one ever won, so many people still are.

If anything, APB is MORE like CoD and BF than planetside, all of them simply consist of rinse and repeat matches.

Honestly, I just don't understand this "No win condition gonna make it stale" BS. Planetside isn't a match based game. I'm literally on the opposite side of the spectrum, if the servers reset or if there is a "win" and reset BS, I feel like all my efforts are useless.

And don't give me that "other empire takes back all the bases you took at some point" arguement, THAT'S PART OF A PERSISTENT WORLD! IF YOU WERE PLAYING ANYTHING LIKE COD,BF, APB, YOU'D BE FIGHTING OVER THE SAME THINGS ALL THE TIME WITHOUT ANY PUSH GOING EITHER WAY!

I just don't understand you people.
Gray, we are not talking about actual winning. WE talk about some meaningful archivment after hours of battle, like taking a continent.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion