Whats the Worst looking Empire so far?SOE is handicapping TR IMO - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Liar! My comp needs no stinkin Graphics Cards.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What's the worst looking Empire so far?
Terran Republic 28 13.93%
New Conglomerate 38 18.91%
Vanu Sovereignty 21 10.45%
All of them look bad 4 1.99%
All of them look good 110 54.73%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-30, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
RNFB
First Sergeant

Re: Whats the Worst looking Empire so far?SOE is handicapping TR IMO

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
I have to ask what would everyone improve to make them seem more attractive? Everyone's opinions differ obviously but is there a belief this will truly affect overall balance?
I would simply darken those bright cyan highlights on the VS armor into a darker teal, like the original PS1 armor.

The engineers could perhaps use a little bit bulkier armor, something inbetween HA and LA, to make them stand out from LA more.
Old 2012-03-31, 01:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
Lord Paladin
Corporal

I have to kind of lol at this poll. Im Vanu and have been kinda jealous of how awesome the NC look. It's seriously temping me to switch sides (well, probably have an NC alt on a dif server). I find it funny that NC is at the top of the list, since i think they look the most badass
Old 2012-03-31, 02:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
Traak
Colonel

I wonder if, in PS2, they will have things that will DRASTICALLY enhance the lower-pop-empires prowess on continents?

Right now, the Vanu kinda vanish some times of the day.
Old 2012-03-31, 05:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
Shogun
Contributor
General

radarx, there is really no problem here.

it´s a possibility to make some money. just give us nice little things for not too high prices in the cash shop, like other goggle styles, other face masks, helmet offs and berets, special color patterns with different color balances and we are all set.

the general style is great for all 3 factions.
hell, if i get an option to delete all purple, i would even might try vs ;-)

check the threads about the info weeks. every single class of every faction has some enthusiastic supporters and some haters.

and this threas was started by someone who was afraid that tr looks the bad, but the poll turned out, that it´s just his opinion.
and for nc, i love everything i have seen so far.

options like no visors or different visor colors would rock. or an option with an alternative to the big bulky shoulderpads.
but it´s all about options, no need to do an overhaul of any already shown models!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-31, 05:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

I have to ask what would everyone improve to make them seem more attractive? Everyone's opinions differ obviously but is there a belief this will truly affect overall balance?
First of all, this is obviously a "far from representative" poll, especially with the number of votes.

But I do think that the visuals play the biggest part when it comes to choosing your empire, and if one of them falls a bit short in that department, it will most likely show in player numbers.

I have pointed out my complaints with the new NC background=>design direction already. Which faction sounds least attractiv to play for given the choice (not knowing what they look like)?

a) a high-tech-religious-alien-cult,
b) a high-professional-military-force,
c) or a civilians-turned-rebells-force

I would say that the majority of average gamers would vote for option c as sounding least attractive. The design direction of what you choose those rebells to look like can ofcourse totally change opinions, but the thrown together chunky look that was chosen really isn't for everyone. It would be interesting to see what players who have/had the intention of playing NCs think of this new look, without interference of other players, who might not care whether or not their enemies look stylish. I don't think anyone really has a problem with the NC vehicles, but instead the infantry (with the infiltrator beeing the shiny exception so far).

Things I would alter for the NC infantry armors:

o) No armor-bikini-top that leaves the entire stomach area uncovered, but instead a bulletproof vest / armor plates over the whole (front) torso, before you add any leg protection. I know that the agile suit in PS1 had that, but that doesn't mean that's a good thing.
o) Less chunky and plain (see NC engineer thigh armor), but instead more elaborate looking armor .. more edges and well-defined areas and maybe more rounded here and there (like the infiltrator)
o) That might sound like nit-picking, but: decent boots! Those we have now remind me of moon-boots with a thick sole like plateau shoes some kids were running around in the late 90s .. horrible!

Oh and I sure hope we can change the flannel shirts ... Al Borland is a badass, but I still don't want to wear flannel.

Last edited by BlazingSun; 2012-03-31 at 08:12 AM.
Old 2012-03-31, 05:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
I wonder if, in PS2, they will have things that will DRASTICALLY enhance the lower-pop-empires prowess on continents?

Right now, the Vanu kinda vanish some times of the day.
I think that the VS will have way more players this time around, compared to the other empires. Their look has improved and the possibility of toning down the purple color (which has kept many players away) with customisation will boost their numbers as well.
Old 2012-03-31, 06:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Have NC breastplate/ballistic-vest cover vital organs

All of the factions look amazing, and the work put into is noticed and appreciated.

As to whether it will affect balance, it *might* but we wont know until beta. Gameplay wise I think I'll enjoy playing NC the most in PS2 -- but IMO the Vanu are gorgeous and I'm seriously considering going to them because of how amazing they look. If enough people share my thinking- whatever the faction, then the answer to your question *might* be yes.

If it is a corner or does become an apparent problem, follow the good ol' code - never take anything away, just buff everything else. Don't make anyone more ugly, just make everyone else more badass.

Last edited by PlaceboCyanide; 2012-03-31 at 06:52 AM.
Old 2012-03-31, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
Shogun
Contributor
General

i still don´t think the design will have much effect on pop balance.

only the mindless zerglings choose their faction because of the look!
and having more stupid moving targets on the opponents side will actually be a good thing ;9

real gamers choose factions because of their playstyle!

Old 2012-03-31, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

and having more stupid moving targets on the opponents side will actually be a good thing ;9

Easy killer, dems fightin' words. We'll see who's the mindless zergling

I say real gamers can adapt to all playstyles, and decide to kill with style

Last edited by PlaceboCyanide; 2012-03-31 at 07:02 AM.
Old 2012-03-31, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #85
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Really? What do you think would happen if one faction looked like total ass (fictional!). Do you really think 33% of the playerbase would happily join this faction?

Never considered myself a mindless zergling, but if you say so.
Old 2012-03-31, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by BlazingSun View Post
Really? What do you think would happen if one faction looked like total ass (fictional!). Do you really think 33% of the playerbase would happily join this faction?
sure, it already happened in ps1.

vs was purple, but populated

Old 2012-03-31, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #87
CplVars
Private

Originally Posted by noxious View Post
YES!

TR will always be triumphant! It is tradition!

hehehe

Only thing I don't like that they have done so far is with the Medics. Their little white/red touches just scream "shoot me first!" to me. I liked being able to hide in the crowd in PS1 as an Adv Med.
Old 2012-03-31, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
LongBow
Sergeant

So I made a massive list of every little thing I would change but it was, well pointless so here have two things I think could actually be changed.

1) Vangard, "Bore evacuator"
- its the bump half way down a tanks barrel, and I ask only, why is it a circle?

2) Galaxy, front wheel
- its just too dammed small, galaxy is imposing and overpowering, and should not be balanced on a toothpick!

==========

I would also put the mossie pilot (and secondary weapon) further back and streamline it, shape it more like a modern day fighter, but its probably too late to change something like that now...
Old 2012-03-31, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
Legion
Private

It would be nice if we could buy legacy skins from the original planetside at some point.
Old 2012-03-31, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Legion View Post
It would be nice if we could buy legacy skins from the original planetside at some point.
I had always hoped that would be something that would be given to vets. Although I guess that would cut down in potential $$$, even giving it to vets and then releasing it to everyone later on would be cool.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion