i'm still a n00b... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-06-26, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
blahblah
Private

i'm still a n00b...

I heard people saying the best way to get XP is to ride a zerg. What is a zerg?
Old 2003-06-26, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
JLeeAZN
Sergeant

A whord of people moving around together and capping bases - causes lag, greif, and other bad stuff - but it is a good way to get exp... cuz mostly you'll get the base with the zerg, and if you did good you or you and ur squad will get decent exp.
Old 2003-06-26, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Phex
Private

The tactic of "zerging" stems from games like EverQuest, where a raiding guild would use many many more people than what is necessary to complete the task at hand (killing a big, evil, mean guy.)

So "riding a zerg" would just be to go along with the flow, get in a squad that's already well set up, and kind of chill out in the middle of a giant attack/hack on a base. This way you get shared XP (from the squad) and base cap xp (from the base cap that is accomplished after you kick ass in the base SOI), without really doing much work yourself.

Hope that helped
Old 2003-06-26, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ShortBurst
Private

a zerg is a shitload of ppl that rape a base :P

Old 2003-06-26, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
mikkyT
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Firstly, I must correct your n00bness, and introduce you to the three P's... (Actually, your not a n00b your a newbie. You show some willingness to learn noobs are the tards that give newbs a bad name.)

The Three P's:
Planetside is not about EXP.

Right, once you have shifted from the "must get exp mentality" you may actually begin to enjoy the game, and play it how it was designed to be played.

In answer to your question, a "zerg" is a term meaning a massive group of aimless sheep whose wishy washy goal is to overpower and conquer the enemy with sheer weight of numbers.

In principle this may seem a good idea. . . But most people "riding the zerg" have no order, they are a chaotic bunch of , for want of a better word, n00bs.

No direction other than "go with teh flow". . Respawn, shoot, die, rinse repeat...

Generally a major zerg has no benefit to your empire, as the squads participating in the zerg would be better off channeling their efforts onto other bases and towers AWAY from the zerg, but co-ordinate there attacks, this would result in a far more effective use of the available resources and man power.

100 people standing around for 15 minutes because "they just cant leave the SOI cos I wont get meh gay exp" is lame, and a true sign of an ass bandit.
Old 2003-06-26, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Riyu
Private

Actually...

Zerging originated from Starcraft, where a race called "Zerg" had the ability to produce units faster than the other two races (Terran & Protoss). Thus, a common strategy was to play Zerg and constantly barrage your enemy and hope your numbers will take them down.

Very accurate portrayal of some tactics in PlanetSide imo.
Old 2003-06-26, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
IDgaf
Sergeant

If you work with a zerg either use them for cover - ie run alongside a player and 'buddy up' (no squad needed), or try and find the few players that are flanking the main point of attack.

I have a feeling that a well coordinated squad that attached itself to a zerg would do quite well - not in kills perhaps, but in otherways.
Old 2003-06-26, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

i'm still a n00b...
:yup:

:sorry: :thetruth:

Old 2003-06-26, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Franchize
Private

Mikky T makes some good points. The game isn't about xp. Getting xp allows you to get more certs you can use to make your soldier more versatile in the field, but it is by no means the be all end all goal of the game.

The goal of the game is to learn how to work as coordinated unit with your squad and the other members of your outfit and to make it the most effective fighting force on the battlefield.

I would like to say though that the "zerg" as it is called is not an entirely bad thing. It serves an important purpose. I see it mostly within the TR, as their weapons, and vehicles seem to support it the most of the three Empires. A zerg can be used much the same way the Soviets used human wave attacks in WWII against the Germans. A massive zerg will just steam roll an enemy force and capture that vital Tech Plant or Dropship Facility on a contested Continent.A skilled commander and squad leader can use the zerg as an important tool in planning an attack or defense of an objective.

If the Commander knows that there is a zerg at base A he can be sure that the enemy are throwing every resource at their disposal into the fray in order to stem the wave of humanity that is rolling towards base A. He can then plan a diversionary raid on base B, or perhaps shore up the defenses at base C behind the front line of the battle making it an ideal fall back position and helping to maintain the strength of the zerg rush. By checking the current population levels of each continent if he sees that a major zerg is occuring on a paticular continent he can be reasonably sure that the enemy is responding with a large force and will be unable to gaurd the bases on another continent as effectively, or may split his forces to respond.
Old 2003-06-26, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Frozen-Monkey
Master Sergeant

personaly, i fly around in my skeet and do my own thing but drop in on the zerg every now and then for the exp.

<STFU> Frozen_Monkey
<Storm Troopers From Uranus>
Old 2003-06-26, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Nitsch
Sergeant Major

Originally posted by Franchize
The goal of the game is to learn how to work as coordinated unit with your squad and the other members of your outfit and to make it the most effective fighting force on the battlefield.
I must disagree.

This game is about MINING BRIDGES! Everything else in this game revolves around getting people to cross bridges so I can blow them up!

All other features in this game are just window dressing.

"Never pet a burning dog and never fry bacon naked."--Gary Busey
Old 2003-06-26, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Jarlo
Second Lieutenant

OMG MIkkey you hit the nail right on the head there. The NC on Johari keep getting owned at the end of the day because every friggin person goes with the zerg-- fighting battles easily won and retaking bases on one hop continents while we get owned everywhere else. It is SOOOOOOOOOOO frustrating. I swear every time I play there I'm either with the 150+ person zerg or with the 5 people on in my outfit.
Old 2003-06-30, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Searo
Second Lieutenant

If I come withing 400 meters of a zerg my comp lags and dies and sputters.
Old 2003-07-01, 12:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
EarlyDawn
Major General

Originally posted by 1024
:yup:

:sorry: :thetruth:
Please stop. I'm not threatening you, don't get me wrong, but you had some good input before you started doing this, please Cease and decist. I don't want to have to block you
Old 2003-07-01, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

the point of the game is to control the world, not working wit squads or getting xp (even tho thats my primary point ingame, next will be cep).

and just to answer the guys question, its base rap with 150+ guys. If u hear raid, its no raid, its a rape.

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion