Systems: E-Sport - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sending disingenuous birthday emails since 2003.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 2.11 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-06-23, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

E-Sport

So I had an interesting idea. I'm sure most of the people, will not like it (if any at all will), but, well, idea is idea, don't go rough on it, k?

Q: Why can't we have PlanetSide 2 as a e-sport game?
A: Instances, that must necessarily be present for successful e-sport don't fit PlanetSide 2 gameplay mechanic/dynamic. The whole thing doesn't even fit the lore, a notable aspect, because that's something that's actually harder to elaborate than even respawning.

Q: Is there no way to make PlanetSide 2 an E-Sport?
A: There is. What if the actual matches were "interactive". Say we have a fight going on the continent. A competitive group A (let's imagine it being a squad, 10 people) recieves an objective "X" to attack something in "Y" amount of time. Another competitive group (B) recieves defensive objectives. They fight on a continent with everyone else.

Q: But what about other people interfering?
A: That's actually a good question. My suggestion includes inviting the actual zerg to assist the competitive team. This brings a whole new layer into competitive play - not only a fight of skill and teamplay, but a fight of connections. A can invite some outfits to assist it, B can do the same.

Q: I think it will be imbalanced, if say A will recieve backup of 300 people, while B will only be helped by 50.
A: As I said in the previous answer, this way of competitive play requires not only your outfit's domestic abilities, but also - the ability to "make friends". If you only have 50 people to back you up means you've lost 50% of competition before the match even started.

Q: Okay, another problem - the guys are going to play for real money or goods, and than some douchebag will pop out of friendly zerg and start griefing...
A: My answer to this is in two parts: 1) Upon recieving the objectives the competitive squad becomes invulnerable to friendly fire. They can hit friendlies and each other, though. 2) The event of that level will definitely be observed by a GM (if not several of them), so shit like that will be stopped fast.

Q: You said about the outfits from ouside assisting the cybersportsmen, but what's in it for them?
A: Well, rewards are easy to figure out. Starting with resources given by system for participating in the event, ending with devs implementing the resource sharing/trading. The second actually creates opportunity for mercenary outfits to exist. A metagame that surely leaves a mark on my imagination.

Q: Okay, let's imagine I'm interested. Any more specifics?
A: Well, I think all the specifics can be figured out easily, knowing the general idea. Feel free to comment.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-23 at 06:12 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault