So very sick of tower battles - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You think that NC chick will go out with me? --->
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think about capturing towers?
Yes, implement the tower NTU silo/5 minute capture timer 11 64.71%
No, towers are great the way they are 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-11-02, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

So very sick of tower battles

I was really hoping they'd fix tower battles before the expansion, but no such luck. There is so much wrong that I think it should receive the highest priority.

Staircases create teleport effects that exploiters often use to make themselves virtually unhittable. Jumping and Surging on staircases make your enemies see you teleport all over the screen, and if you say you've never seen this effect, you're either brand-new or blind. I have a very good PC, high-speed DSL and this effect isn't diminished in the least. It's easy for shooter fans to see this aspect of PlanetSide as amateurish.

NTU silos at towers were mentioned but never implemented. I've seen a battle at a tower last for over an hour. An entire base would be drained of NTUs by that time, but a tower keeps spitting out MAXs and troops all day long. The VS can launch their Million MAX March from a tower as easily as from a base.

With the 1-minute HART, landing a squad on a tower has never been easier. Lame.

Capturing the tower to take the base is pretty damned simple strategy, but without NTU silos or a generator to destroy, a tower is an overpowered spawn asset. It detracts from the game and it pisses me off.

Hopefully they'll come out with the NTU silos/5 minute capture countdown for towers. I think there will be a lot more strategy and better application of the AMS/Router.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-11-02, 01:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
FightForFreedom
Corporal

Occasionally, they do get old. You're right, that exploit is annoying. NTU silos could work, it would make battles more interesting. However, the 5 minute timer wouldn't work because there would have to be strange conditions to activate it. How would the timer start? It can't be when the hack starts, because it will be done before 5 minutes is up, so the timer probably wouldn't work.
Old 2003-11-02, 01:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

It would be just like hacking a base... You hack the tower's control console, and when the bar reaches the end of the hack cycle, a 5 minute countdown begins, at the end of which the tower changes possession.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-11-02, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
FightForFreedom
Corporal

Oh, a countdown once you hack. Sorry, it's late and I'm tired. Sounds good.
Old 2003-11-02, 02:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lise
Second Lieutenant

While I rarely mind me a good tower fight, they do need to implement the promised NTU silo on the towers, and they need to bring the "lose NTU on spawn" thing back, demmit. ANTs are faster now, it's no longer QUITE as much a pain in the ass to drive them, let's see some bases go neutral again.
Old 2003-11-02, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yes they said there would be NTU's on silos.. no idea what happened to that. SOmeone submit it for a dev question.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-11-02, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Lise
Second Lieutenant

Done.
Old 2003-11-02, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
bryan25
Sergeant Major

damn i wanted to do it.
Old 2003-11-02, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Lise
While I rarely mind me a good tower fight, they do need to implement the promised NTU silo on the towers, and they need to bring the "lose NTU on spawn" thing back, demmit. ANTs are faster now, it's no longer QUITE as much a pain in the ass to drive them, let's see some bases go neutral again.
Personaly I think tower battles are about perfect I whould like to see some kind of timer even if only 5 mins that allows defenders to kick people out of towers and make some headway against attacking the base.

Lise...........Burn in hell for saying that they should bring back loosing NTU for spawning, thats the only change that has made defense feasable, it's not a matter of the ant performance its a simple matter of it being impossible to get an ant into a hotly contested base except maybe by gal droped and even then it's probly lib or reaver fodder. Shame on you, I'm so glad I actualy have to fight for ases now rather then just engage the enemy long enough for the damn thing to go neutral.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-11-02, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Searo
Second Lieutenant

Towers are far easier to defend than bases. I was holding off a Reaver with a Punisher alone in a tower. Could I do that at a base? Nope.
The only reason the assault wins is when you've got two tanks at each door, AMSes on every side and gals dropping troops on the top. Then they win, but otherwise, nope.
Old 2003-11-02, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Prophaniti
Private

Well, lets see. Would YOU want to go and refill a tower silo? Of course not, because theres always another battle somewhere else that would be much more interesting than the boring job of an ANT driver... plus if it were in the middle of a big battle (which is the only time anyone would bother refilling tower silos) then anyone in their right minds would go for xp and kills, not the very probable death at the hands of enemy reavers and skeeters.

Plus, a silo needs a gen, right? Where would it go? Bottom is too easy to defend, and top... would be VS max food

Last edited by Prophaniti; 2003-11-02 at 10:44 AM.
Old 2003-11-02, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Lise
Second Lieutenant

I meant of course that they should bring it back only in towers also consume NTU silos (and of course there'd be some limit on AMSes as well.) It certainly shouldn't be just base NTUs... I hated towers being greater than bases as much as anyone. But I also miss actually having to worry about resources... I do see bases go neutral thanks to dedicated sabotage teams, but I so rarely see a base go neutral in a firefight anymore. I kinda miss that tactical part of PS...
Old 2003-11-02, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Neon Apocalypse
Colonel

I totally disagree, no one would want to drive ants to towers. And if there was a huge battle and ntus ran out the tower would be taken very quickly and the ant blown right away. We need a new system but the system u guys are proposing is a bad idea. It is very hard refueling a facility while its under attack, imagine a tower. It would be impossible. How about having a tower lattice system?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion